Mario games that you think should be remade or recieve a Deluxe treatment.

To be fair, I think Pwwnd123 has trouble detecting facetious remarks.

I've had an idea in mind for years that I'm sure no one will agree with, and that probably wouldn't be possible for many reasons, such as how Konami seems to hate game preservation, but nonetheless:

Super Mario Special Collection. This would be a compilation of the Hudson's four PC Mario games, with Mario Bros. Special, Punch Ball Mario Bros., and Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu would be unlocked at the start, with SMB Special being an unlockable. But it wouldn't just be that. Similar to the concept of the Game & Watch Gallery Series, there would be Classic and Modern modes. The classic modes would be the original X1 versions (pretty much universally agreed to be the best for all four games), and modern would feature the first three remade as if they had been arcade games, and SMB Special remade as if it was an NES game. I know, the SMBS for NES hack exists, but it's missing the powerups and a couple of other minor things. Another possible feature this compilation could have would be unlocking different versions of the games, as most of them really do provide a unique experience.

Though it's impossible, at least someone did attempt to remake Special for Petit Computer here: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21233953

Some interesting additions, e.g. Icicles.

I've wanted to see either a portable or HD remake of Mario Sunshine for a while, and now with the Switch, they're both possible on one system. Of course I'd like to see some stuff added too, just like extra Shines and new areas in the same vein as Mario 64 DS.
I'd also like to see a remake of New Super Mario Bros., just for fun. It's not that old but aesthetically it's kind of an outlier from the other New SMB games. Maybe they could add a World 9 and true co-op mode.

A remake/remaster of NSMB (the original) would be pretty interesting to see, especially if it had new context such as a World 9.

If there is a Sunshine remake, they better add Wario and Luigi as playable characters.

Camwoodstock said:
A remake/remaster of NSMB (the original) would be pretty interesting to see, especially if it had new context such as a World 9.
Nah, it's better if they make a new NSMB game that tries to be very original and not the same old uninspired garbage it has turned into since NSMB2. Super Mario Run offered more than NSMB2 and NSMBU did. It had more playable characters and Peach was finally playable as a miracle after it was thought to be an impossibility in NSMBWii and NSMB2 due to the complexity of animation in the Wii/GCN and 3DS hardware and the difficulty of programming it in. Although they could've easily implemented her in NSMBU, it would've made it better.

Roll and Maria Renard said:
Super Mario Run offered more than NSMB2 and NSMBU did.
Like removing free control and mostly locking the player to going one direction, limiting level design and removing any sort of exploration? I know that was never NSMB's strong suit but it was only simplified further for Run.

Trunks Mario said:
Super Mario Run offered more than NSMB2 and NSMBU did.
Oh hell no.
Oh yes it did.

Super Mario Run allowed you to play as multiple characters. You could even play as Peach which was a miracle when compared to NSMBWii and NSMB2 where it was impossible due to the complexity of animation and programming in the GCN/Wii and 3DS hardware. I'm glad that it was easy to program and animate than in NSMBWii or NSMB2. It had implemented Peach as both a damsel in distress and a playable character after beating the game once and rescuing her. It's even more of a miracle than implementing Maria Renard as a playable character in Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP (a.k.a Castlevania: Rondo of Blood/Akumajo Dracula X: Chi no Rondo/Rinne 2.5D remake) by sacrificing the dress and giving her a low ponytail (which I thought were braids or something). If they wanted to make her playable in NSMBWii, they would have had to make sacrifices. The PSP's graphics capability is closer to PS2 (which belongs in the sixth gen and the Wii has beefed up GameCube hardware so it is a fairly good example of the challenge they were going through). That's more effort than what NSMB2 and NSMBU had.

Trunks Mario said:
If there is a Sunshine remake, they better add Wario and Luigi as playable characters.

I wonder what would happen to Yoshi if Wario were to sit on him.

Refrigerator Kirby said:
Trunks Mario said:

I wonder what would happen to Yoshi if Wario were to sit on him.

i'd love to find out!

Super Mario Run allowed you to play as multiple characters. You could even play as Peach which was a miracle when compared to NSMBWii and NSMB2 where it was impossible due to the complexity of animation and programming in the GCN/Wii and 3DS hardware. [...] That's more effort than what NSMB2 and NSMBU had.
Oh and this entire time I thought level quality and quantity factored more in what a game has to offer. I didn't know one character who is hardly different from the rest matters so much more.

I'm certainly not one to defend NSMB2 and U, but since Super Mario Run is based entirely on those games in everything except the running mechanic and extra characters, it's safe to say that NSMB2 and U offered more new stuff (even if that wasn't a lot). As a side note, SMR is the one case where I don't blame it for being unoriginal because let's be real—it's a smart phone game.

LED42 said:
I think that you forgot this one:

Mario Kart DS...

No point in remaking Mario Karts when they keep remaking retro tracks

You could even play as Peach which was a miracle when compared to NSMBWii and NSMB2 where it was impossible due to the complexity of animation and programming in the GCN/Wii and 3DS hardware.

Speaking about this line, this is complete utter pure 100% bull*bleep*.

Luigi 64DD said:
I'm certainly not one to defend NSMB2 and U, but since Super Mario Run is based entirely on those games in everything except the running mechanic and extra characters, it's safe to say that NSMB2 and U offered more new stuff (even if that wasn't a lot). As a side note, SMR is the one case where I don't blame it for being unoriginal because let's be real—it's a smart phone game.
Super Mario Run is an overpriced stripped-down New Super Mario Bros. game on mobile phones. There is no way it did more than a full-fledged console game and a full handheld game.

Baby Luigi said:
You could even play as Peach which was a miracle when compared to NSMBWii and NSMB2 where it was impossible due to the complexity of animation and programming in the GCN/Wii and 3DS hardware.

Speaking about this line, this is complete utter pure 100% bull*bleep*.
You mean the part where it was an impossibility due to the complexity of animation in the GCN/Wii and 3DS hardware? Miyamoto himself said that it was complex to implement.

Konami wasn't bullshitting with Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles on the PlayStation Portable (PSP) in trying to get Maria Renard playable like in the PC Engine Super CD-ROM2 System/TurboGrafx-CD original Rondo of Blood and not the butchered SNES rendition Dracula X. Maria Renard's dress was a problem so they had to make her wear pantaloons and whatnot and they had to lengthen her hair which they came across another problem, it would be a pain in the ass to animate so they had to give her a low ponytail (which I thought were braids) all so that they could implement her as a playable character. I am not making this shit up. That is what Koji Igarashi and the other developers at Konami had to say about it.

Trunks Mario said:
Super Mario Run is an overpriced stripped-down New Super Mario Bros. game on mobile phones. There is no way it did more than a full-fledged console game and a full handheld game.

The unlockable characters and the ability to play as Peach after you rescue her is one of the ways it did more. Stripped down it may be but it at least showed a bit more effort in that aspect. NSMB2 was plain boring and uninspired and was way too damn short. NSMBU was a bit better than NSMB2 but not by much. It was way less groundbreaking like NSMBDS and NSMBWii.

You mean the part where it was an impossibility due to the complexity of animation in the GCN/Wii and 3DS hardware? Miyamoto himself said that it was complex to implement.

Animating Peach's dress to make her a playable character has absolutely, completely nothing to do with GCN/Wii and 3DS hardware. Neither is importing her character model in as a playable character impossible.

Making Peach a playable character is around as complex as making Mario and Luigi playable characters. Animations are a concern depending on how complex and nuanced you can make them in the first place, in which Nintendo clearly refuses to expend energy into making, and that's what they're trying to say. If not, it's mere PR damage control, BSing around, and making up excuses.

Also, animating Peach's ponytail is easy. They make jigglebone physics especially for that sort of thing. I don't know why the hell you're comparing a completely unrelated game to NSMBW, since one is a sprite-based one and another is 3D-based.

Baby Luigi said:

Animating Peach's dress to make her a playable character has absolutely, completely nothing to do with GCN/Wii and 3DS hardware. Neither is importing her character model in as a playable character impossible.

Making Peach a playable character is around as complex as making Mario and Luigi playable characters. Animations are a concern depending on how complex and nuanced you can make them in the first place, in which Nintendo clearly refuses to expend energy into making, and that's what they're trying to say. If not, it's mere PR damage control, BSing around, and making up excuses.

Also, animating Peach's ponytail is easy. They make jigglebone physics especially for that sort of thing. I don't know why the hell you're comparing a completely unrelated game to NSMBW, since one is a sprite-based one and another is 3D-based.
I was using that other completely unrelated non Mario game as an example of the challenges Nintendo would've went through in making Peach being playable in NSMBWii. Konami had to make sacrifices. Also, that completely unrelated game (Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles) is a 2.5D PSP remake (3D graphics on a 2D plane like the case with the entire NSMB series) of a TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine game (which in this case, is made for the CD add on for that 8/16 bit hybrid console) that is Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, so it a good example. The PSP's graphics hardware is somewhere closer to PS2 level (which is 6th gen graphics) which it is more powerful than the N64 or the DS. The Wii in terms of graphics is pretty much a beefed up GameCube so the graphics are 6th gen level so it is a fair example.

Nintendo isn't Konami. New Super Mario Bros. isn't Castlevania. Stop comparing two completely different beasts.

We're getting off-track. My point is that Nintendo's excuse for not making Peach playable in New Super Mario Bros. Wii is complete bull*bleep*. Play Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii sometime, you'll be surprised at what exactly the game *could* handle, maybe except handling my Baby Mario Bros. mod in Newer's World 8.

Baby Luigi said:
Nintendo isn't Konami. New Super Mario Bros. isn't Castlevania. Stop comparing two completely different beasts.

We're getting off-track. My point is that Nintendo's excuse for not making Peach playable in New Super Mario Bros. Wii is complete bull*bleep*. Play Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii sometime, you'll be surprised at what exactly the game *could* handle, maybe except handling my Baby Mario Bros. mod in Newer's World 8.
Also, the Wii is not a PSP.

I see. But could they manage to implement Peach as playable. That's something I'd want to see to prove Nintendo wrong.

I don't think a game's quality is based on whether or not Peach is playable. And I'm not even a NSMB fan, except maybe the first one, but I'd rather play NSMB than a mobile game that locks you in one direction most of the time.

You'd rather play a full fledged platformer over a phone game? I'm shocked.

Back