Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions

Time Turner said:
Bink also looks like a generic skeleton instead of Donkey Kong.

is there a certain point where we can accuse the devs of being half-assed with the details?

Considering how from what I've seen there doesn't appear to be a boss arena of any kind, yes.

So yeah, I'm currently not going to buy this remake. It's been nothing but disappointment for me.

I'd say that a bit like in Paper Jam content was cut, possibly to accomodate limited investment and limited time to develop this remake. Lack of Geno might be due to this reason too - licensing fees were probably deemed excessive considering the extremely minor, although notable, role he had in the original. At least in this case it looks like mostly corners were cut.

If this were the case, though, I would be a bit worried about the future of the series: if even on the 3DS there was the need to cut corners on remakes, how the situation will be on the Switch?

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
That's even more baffling then, AlphaDream has shown to be very passionate about bringing back things people loved about their old games and Geno's cameo is a big one.

I mean in some areas yeah but in other areas they made pretty BS changes like Bink imo.

You know, normally, I can forgive a small amount of minor changes to detail especially in a remake but tbh, the amount of changes they made to the minor details to their world building actually now irks me a lot: the line has pretty much been crossed.

The minor cosmetic changes aren't even the real problem here. The real problem is that they added absolutely nothing new of note beyond a secondary game mode that, while I like the premise of, nobody was really asking for.

What they should have done is expanded on what the original game was. Added new areas to look at or new challenges to overcome, some kind of extra content that the original game was sorely lacking.

But they didn't.

In my opinion, I think how the world is built plays a strong role as well; despite it being a Mario game, Superstar Saga definitely had an established, clear world built around it. As some say, the whole means more than the sum of its parts, and all of these changes they made to the world they clearly established in the original version just raise more questions and it kinda breaks the point of a remake: to give the old locations a new flair rather than doing these changes that I think are too drastic.

Normally, I can forgive the removal of the flight suits on Koopas or Toads not being exaggerated any more, but I have a tolerance level for these changes and with all of the other drastic overhauls that were shown recently, I can safely say that it has affected my anticipation for the game and wanting to play it.

That they didn't add anything new to the original game is a problem, sure enough, it would have been cool if they added new stuff new locations, new sidequests, but to me, I think the strange artistic changes they decided to do rather than update sprites is far more disappointing to me. I don't mind playing through Superstar Saga again without much changes and with new graphics.

Well as I've been saying for a while now. This remake was completely unnecessary and is only further solidifying my opinion that they need a break from this series.

That I can agree with.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Also how the fuck is Starlow going to fight, by being glittery on the enemies? lol
annoy till the enemy surrenders

Also it's confirmed, game doesn't have a boss arena.

Fuck this I'm out.

One of the anonymous folk on 4chan

I still think that this is still a good game. (If you recall, I said in the poll discussion that I said that I was excited the most for the second screen. Not the new mode.) Something new wasn't a deal breaker unless it was an included second screen. Having no Battle Arena may have been to no way possible to have the complimentary, Skills Challenge, with the current list of Bros. Attacks. Having them completely separate in Dream Team was disappointing for me. Then again, I played both BIS and PJ before that, so I familiar with them together. Better to have neither than to have just one.

It's better to have some extras then no extras at all.

Well, uh, you forgot about Dr. Toadley...?

Gotta cut corners wherever you can.

At least entertain the thought of these changes being AlphaDream's decision rather than Miyamoto's. Besides, if Miyamoto really were in charge of this game, Cackletta, Fawful, Peasley, and every single non-Mushroom Kingdom character wouldn't even exist. :p

Baby Luigi said:
In my opinion, I think how the world is built plays a strong role as well; despite it being a Mario game, Superstar Saga definitely had an established, clear world built around it. As some say, the whole means more than the sum of its parts, and all of these changes they made to the world they clearly established in the original version just raise more questions and it kinda breaks the point of a remake: to give the old locations a new flair rather than doing these changes that I think are too drastic.

Normally, I can forgive the removal of the flight suits on Koopas or Toads not being exaggerated any more, but I have a tolerance level for these changes and with all of the other drastic overhauls that were shown recently, I can safely say that it has affected my anticipation for the game and wanting to play it.

That they didn't add anything new to the original game is a problem, sure enough, it would have been cool if they added new stuff new locations, new sidequests, but to me, I think the strange artistic changes they decided to do rather than update sprites is far more disappointing to me. I don't mind playing through Superstar Saga again without much changes and with new graphics.

Are these changes really that drastic, though? Bink and the Little Fungitown Toads are one thing, but stuff like the removal of Geno's cameo, while disappointing, are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things- especially when the rest of this remake leaves a majority of the original game's elements intact.

In fact, between Starlow and Dr. Toadley appearing, Minion Quest, and the new Yoshi Theater posters, I'd say that some of these changes enhance the world of not just Superstar Saga, but the M&L series as a whole by making the first game in the series fit in with the later ones.

Serena T. said:
In fact, between Starlow and Dr. Toadley appearing, Minion Quest, and the new Yoshi Theater posters, I'd say that some of these changes enhance the world of not just Superstar Saga, but the M&L series as a whole by making the first game in the series fit in with the later ones.

Starlow is a bit of a odd as the first time they meet is in Bowser's Inside Story.
Dr. Toadley fair enough, that's an alright connection.
Yoshi Theatre posters I'm actually alright with.

However, the removal of Flight Suit Koopas and Unique Toads doesn't benefit anything though.

Serena T. said:
Are these changes really that drastic, though? Bink and the Little Fungitown Toads are one thing, but stuff like the removal of Geno's cameo, while disappointing, are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things- especially when the rest of this remake leaves a majority of the original game's elements intact.

I've said that, yes it's minor, but I have a certain threshold of acceptance because the sum of the world is worth more than its parts. The amount of unnecessary and pointless changes that AD did to their original game was enough to surpass my tolerance of change for this remake.

Serena T. said:

I'd argue that it causes even more consistency and continuity errors, considering that in the games these events first appear in, they are treated as if it is it their very first time meeting them. Considering that this is chronologically the first game, it now makes even less sense for characters like Starlow or Dr. Toadley introducing themselves in said game they actually first appear in.

Don't blame Miyamoto. Seriously. It's obvious why they did it. They were just cutting and pasting assets from previous games.

Serena T. said:
At least entertain the thought of these changes being AlphaDream's decision rather than Miyamoto's. Besides, if Miyamoto really were in charge of this game, Cackletta, Fawful, Peasley, and every single non-Mushroom Kingdom character wouldn't even exist. :p
Scratch that, this game wouldn't even exist. As Glowsquid mentioned earlier, this game is the quirkiest in the series and pinning reusing assets or arbitrarily replacing them isn't Miyamoto's doing. Any mention I made were tongue in cheek.

Honestly as decent as this game looks, now that the full game has been revealed and such, I'm pretty disappointed with what they've changed. (or rather, haven't in most cases)

It gives new gear, easier Bro attacks and a map system which is all neat, though it changes pretty much nothing else aside from minor cosmetic changes which aren't all that great. I still don't really care about the Bowser's Minions part all too much either.

Still gonna get it cause I'll enjoy it, only played the original once, got some minor improvements etc., but otherwise I agree with Mcmadness in that this remake was pretty unnecessary.

I'll probably still get the game because I don't have my Wii U around to use the Virtual Console, but I'm starting to take McMadness' view. Aside from cosmetics and QoL, the game is virtually unchanged. Nobody's even found a Battle Ring yet. Bowser's Minions is the only reason a veteran would want to pick the game up and that mode really could have just been an eshop game or something.
I'm also disappointed that Peasley only makes a cameo and Bowser Jr. is only a bonus unit despite the tease on the website and the hoops you have to go through to get him. :bowjr:

As for the whole Toad issue, I think people play up Miyamoto's "toad obsession" too often, especially since games like 3D World, Galaxy and Sunshine all have different NPCs. In fact, if one interview is to be believed, Toad is Miyamoto's least favorite character.

CamTro said:
hmm

A player said Bowser Jr isn't even around or mentioned in Bowser Minions at all, but he is not sure about that if he missed anything.
I can answer that.
Bowser Jr.'s a bonus unit, unlocked when you get the true ending (which requires you to beat the main game to unlock that stage). He doesn't seem to be in the mode otherwise, even the ending doesn't have him with the Koopalings, Bowser & the minions.
The weird part is that you get Starlow and Peasley even if you get the fake ending. It doesn't even make sense organization-wise since Junior is listed before those two despite being unlocked last and not being present otherwise (unlike them).

Back