Hopes for 3D World Deluxe?

Well, the nintendo switch is, as gamexplain states, the fastest selling console in the whole WORLD. Seeing its predictable success, then porting low-selling games on it that most people did not get the chance to buy is a pretty nice move, that is, if the switch is that successful.

Honestly, Nintendo should just put every game ever made on the Switch. Better safe than sorry.

Who knows, maybe overlooked gems such as Cold Stone Creamery and Crazy Frog Racer will find their footing on Switch.

As I stated earlier, just running ports on this console is not enough to entice me and quite a few people to buy a new console when I can already play the majority of its games on another system I bought not too long ago. I know the Wii U didn't sell too spectacularly, but it still did enough to make Mario Kart 8 become a great seller, the number of people who bought a Wii U is still no slouch.

Baby Luigi said:
the number of people who bought a Wii U is still no slouch.

13.5 millions for a mainstream system by a major console manufacturer is infact very slouchy, even if it hadn't followed a console that sold more than 100 millions.

Glowsquid said:
Baby Luigi said:

13.5 millions for a mainstream system by a major console manufacturer is infact very slouchy, even if it hadn't followed a console that sold more than 100 millions.
This so much.

The Sega Saturn didn't outsell the Genesis/Mega Drive, yet some of its games ended up on other systems or ended up being ported to other systems. Same goes with Dreamcast which did a bit better than the Saturn but died pretty young. Some games were ported over to other systems like say Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.

Both Dreamcast and Saturn were flops for Sega.

The Wii U was bomb for Nintendo sales and consumers financially. Its sales figures is far below the PS4 and Xbone, and hell even below the original Wii U. It still technically is considered to be a failure when compared to the 28 million and 55 million the PS4 and Xbone have now.

Glowsquid said:
Baby Luigi said:

I'd still say it's a good chunk of people who don't really need a Switch at the moment, taken in this context and not regarding the industry at large. What can the Switch play that the Wii U couldn't play at the moment, aside from taking things on the go? Super Bomberman R and Snipperclips? Those aren't system sellers. The unique games this year iirc are Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey, and I still don't feel like those two games alone are enough to convince me to buy a Switch, even if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is enticing.

Baby Luigi said:
Glowsquid said:
Baby Luigi said:

I'd still say it's a good chunk of people who don't really need a Switch at the moment, taken in this context and not regarding the industry at large. What can the Switch play that the Wii U couldn't play at the moment, aside from taking things on the go? Super Bomberman R and Snipperclips? Those aren't system sellers. The unique games this year iirc are Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey, and I still don't feel like those two games alone are enough to convince me to buy a Switch, even if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is enticing.

I mean, the Switch wasn't made because of the people who bought a Wii U. It was for the people who didn't. (and it's quite successful at that from all reports)

An hypothetical 3D World port isn't delaying or "taking away" an equally hypothetical original Switch game. Infact, the profits made from such a guaranteed money maker could go toward financing more risky projects. When Zelda Wild Waker HD happened, it didn't delay Breath of the Wild or kill an original Zelda game, they simply outsourced it to a third-party specialized in doing ports. And personally speaking as someone who owns a Wii U but skipped 3D World, I'd gladly get a technicaly superior and truly portable version of the game.

I will say right now that one of the biggest aspects of 3D World is collecting Miiverse stamps, and last I've checked, the Nintendo Switch does not support Miiverse.

Glowsquid said:
I mean, the Switch wasn't made because of the people who bought a Wii U. It was for the people who didn't. (and it's quite successful at that from all reports)

An hypothetical 3D World port isn't delaying or "taking away" an equally hypothetical original Switch game. Infact, the profits made from such a guaranteed money maker could go toward financing more risky projects. When Zelda Wild Waker HD happened, it didn't delay Breath of the Wild or kill an original Zelda game, they simply outsourced it to a third-party specialized in doing ports. And personally speaking as someone who owns a Wii U but skipped 3D World, I'd gladly get a technicaly superior and truly portable version of the game.

That's true that the Switch was made for people who didn't bought a Wii U, but I also think it's smart to give the console something that would entice previous Wii U owners to buy it as well, therefore also increasing the amount of potential buyers for the system.

In this case, this is all hypothetical, but considering that the current library as it stands is primarily ports of games that aren't even that old to begin with, still being available to be bought in stores, with the upcoming games advertised being primarily ports, and with upcoming unique games that make the Switch worth buying that is far into the future, I'll judge on what the current library is right now, and I don't think it's a ripe time to be focusing on creating mostly ports. When the ports for various Zelda games came out, it was after the Wii U had a good library of games such as Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, etc. and even those ports aren't even guaranteed to be system sellers, as the Wii U had demonstrated.

I will change my opinion if further games get revealed, though. But considering all of this is not completely certain, my personal opinion will still stand until this happens.

Baby Luigi said:
That's true that the Switch was made for people who didn't bought a Wii U, but I also think it's smart to give the console something that would entice previous Wii U owners to buy it as well, therefore also increasing the amount of potential buyers for the system.

In this case, this is all hypothetical, but considering that the current library as it stands is primarily ports of games that aren't even that old to begin with, still being available to be bought in stores, with the upcoming games advertised being primarily ports, and with upcoming unique games that make the Switch worth buying that is far into the future, I'll judge on what the current library is right now, and I don't think it's a ripe time to be focusing on creating mostly ports. When the ports for various Zelda games came out, it was after the Wii U had a good library of games such as Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, etc. and even those ports aren't even guaranteed to be system sellers, as the Wii U had demonstrated.

I will change my opinion if further games get revealed, though. But considering all of this is not completely certain, my personal opinion will still stand until this happens.
Well, the Wii U was discontinued just recently. Stores are carrying their last batch of Wii U games. A year later or so and they won't have them anymore.

MnSG said:
I will say right now that one of the biggest aspects of 3D World is collecting Miiverse stamps, and last I've checked, the Nintendo Switch does not support Miiverse.
Well, the Stamp collecting can be ditched just like with MK8 on Switch. It can be replaced with something more useful.

Baby Luigi said:
But for us Wii U owners, there's Super Mario Odyssey. The next 3D Mario game would take years to come out, so the 3D Mario team can't really do all too much to help initial sales after Odyssey. Porting 3D World would be quick and easy and if they could get it out fast enough and it can give another reason to buy a Switch for non-Wii U owners somewhat early on the system's life. It's not too common for there to be two new 3D Mario games on the same system anyway, and the only one that did you hate the guts of.

Honestly though , there's no point in porting a linear Mario game.

It has little replay value and considerable lower demographic and public compared to Smash and MK.

Those 2 series can be ported and it will actually boost considerably the sales, they have infinite replay value and they are multiplayer party games . 3D World would not.

Except that those linear Mario games have sold more than Smash on every console that they've both been on, (Wii, Wii U and 3DS) and are system sellers. 3D World sold more than Smash 4 don't forget.

And I think that a unique 3D platformer will have more replay value than games that will become irrelevant when the next new game arrives. Their replay value and longevity are more of a personal matter than fact, so it's not really something you can determine.

Dark Meta Knight said:
Baby Luigi said:
But for us Wii U owners, there's Super Mario Odyssey. The next 3D Mario game would take years to come out, so the 3D Mario team can't really do all too much to help initial sales after Odyssey. Porting 3D World would be quick and easy and if they could get it out fast enough and it can give another reason to buy a Switch for non-Wii U owners somewhat early on the system's life. It's not too common for there to be two new 3D Mario games on the same system anyway, and the only one that did you hate the guts of.

Super Mario Odyssey doesn't come out until December. I know it's a good system seller, but it, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and very possibly Splatoon 2 (if its local mulitplayer meets to my expectations) are the only reasons I want to get the system, and imo they're not particularly strong reasons. I've dealt with systems collecting dust before because of no games for it or that the only games worth playing are ports (in the 3DS's case), and I don't want to repeat that mistake again with barely playing those games.

Dark Meta Knight said:
And I think that a unique 3D platformer will have more replay value than games that will become irrelevant when the next new game arrives. Their replay value and longevity are more of a personal matter than fact, so it's not really something you can determine.

I really think you got it the other way around. Smash 4 is definitely still being talked about, and Brawl and Melee are still relevant to this day, despite controversies surrounding their mechanics. Super Mario 3D World, no, I don't see anyone talking about it months after release, and the playthroughs of the levels are the same, no matter what angle you approach it from, and it is the game that becomes less relevant when the next game arrives.

Smash may not sold as much as 3D World, but its fanbase is still very huge and devoted, and that's mainly due to its replayable nature.

Baby Luigi said:
Super Mario Odyssey doesn't come out until December. I know it's a good system seller, but it, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and very possibly Splatoon 2 (if its local mulitplayer meets to my expectations) are the only reasons I want to get the system, and imo they're not particularly strong reasons. I've dealt with systems collecting dust before because of no games for it or that the only games worth playing are ports (in the 3DS's case), and I don't want to repeat that mistake again with barely playing those games.
I agree that I don't want to see too many ports for the Switch but tbh I don't really understand what point you're trying to make in particular regards to a 3D World port which would presumably come out next year if they do decide to make it. Like what Glowsquid said earlier it would let those who missed out get it and would help system sales slightly later in its life span since it's a relatively big title.

I really think you got it the other way around. Smash 4 is definitely still being talked about, and Brawl and Melee are still relevant to this day, despite controversies surrounding their mechanics. Super Mario 3D World, no, I don't see anyone talking about it months after release, and the playthroughs of the levels are the same, no matter what angle you approach it from, and it is the game that becomes less relevant when the next game arrives.
Eh when I think replayability I think playing again after 5 years or something like that. I can go back and play Sunshine for example because it's got good replay value and is different from the 3D Mario after and before it, but meanwhile there's not much point going back to Brawl at all. Also talking about the game after release seems more like longevity of the game rather than replayability.

Dark Meta Knight said:
Except that those linear Mario games have sold more than Smash on every console that they've both been on, (Wii, Wii U and 3DS) and are system sellers. 3D World sold more than Smash 4 don't forget.

With Odyssey on the line , it will totally affect the sales of a possible 3D World port because aint nobody checking for a 2013 game that we know how begins and ends.

Smash has a bigger following and bigger demographic , same with Mario Kart and that's why the latter it's the one getting a port.

It boost sales because of the public and replay value , something that a game like 3D World clearly lacks.

What's 3D World's replay value, anyway? Champion's Road? Doing all the courses with all 5 characters?

Swiftie_Luma said:
With Odyssey on the line , it will totally affect the sales of a possible 3D World port because aint nobody checking for a 2013 game that we know how begins and ends.
What do people care if they haven't played it yet? For them, it would be a new game. That only applies to those who have bought the game before.

That argument could be applied to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as well. You played it and know how it runs, why bother getting it again if you play it on the Wii U? The only reason to buy Deluxe is new content, so why can't they just do the same to 3D World?

Magikrazy said:
What's 3D World's replay value, anyway? Champion's Road? Doing all the courses with all 5 characters?
Playing it again after you've beaten it. Isn't that what replayability is?

It is replay value but it's something that you don't want to do.

And for what reason would anybody want to play that game after playing it fully once?

Completition ala DK64? nah thanks , tried it and was boring as hell. There wouldn't even be stamps anymore to add to this.

This DOES NOT apply to neither Smash or Mario Kart , after both are completed you are actually expected to keep playing it more instead of otherwise , and that's what actually happens.

All i can see right now , is people trying to justify a ''port'' of a 2013 game into a 2017 console that has no replay value and on top of it trying to make the Wii U look even more worhtless.

SMG1 has replay value because you unlock Luigi mode after getting 100%. Galaxy 2 on the other hand gives you more levels and one of the hardest last levels ever in a Mario game.

Swiftie_Luma said:
And for what reason would anybody want to play that game after playing it fully once?
Seriously? You've never played a game again just because it's fun? At all?

If 3D World has so little replay value then why did it sell better than Smash 4 in the first place? What does replay value have to do with sales? You haven't explained why "no replay value" makes the port a bad idea.

Dark Meta Knight said:
If 3D World has so little replay value then why did it sell better than Smash 4 in the first place?

Other factors. Smash 4 still has a far more active and dedicated community, though.

A game having replay value isn't purely based upon its fun. I love Kirby's Return to Dreamland, but there's only so many times I can play it without getting bored.

Back