Paper Mario for Switch?

I don't particularly care for original character partners like Vivian or Flurry. When I want Mario enemy partners, I want actually Mario enemies as partners.

Funny enough for years before I had the internet and played super mario world I thought Watt was an original character.

Baby Luigi said:
I don't particularly care for original character partners like Vivian or Flurry. When I want Mario enemy partners, I want actually Mario enemies as partners.
I'd prefer a decent split between original and classic enemies; the classic enemies give veteran players a familiar starting point, and original characters reassures them that the team isn't exclusively Koopas and Goombas again (granted, we've only had two games with actual partners, but still). Besides, to a newcomer, they're all Mario enemies as far as they know.

long as the variety is good and fits with the mario universe i could care less personally.

Time Turner said:
Baby Luigi said:
I'd prefer a decent split between original and classic enemies; the classic enemies give veteran players a familiar starting point, and original characters reassures them that the team isn't exclusively Koopas and Goombas again (granted, we've only had two games with actual partners, but still). Besides, to a newcomer, they're all Mario enemies as far as they know.

Even so, the first Paper Mario game had ONLY Mario characters as partners. There's a lot of enemies to use to make as partners, and many fun ones too that haven't been really used yet. They don't need to make up weird characters like Flurry.

Well Flurrie was never one of the best examples as she isn't that popular anyway. But Vivian was cool (and more popular). What really matters for partners is how well they are developed and how useful they are in and out of battle. Flurrie kind of sucked because her overworld usage was really only useful for specific things, and other partners had better battle moves. That, and she wasn't really relevant beyond Chapter 2 or had much character development. She used to be an actress and went back to doing that after the game, that's pretty much it. Her species wasn't the problem.

Vivian managed to be one of the more interesting ones with cool fire-based abilities and her own subplot which started long before she joined you. TTYD was among my first Mario games; I was still getting into the series when I played it. None of the characters felt particularly out of place. Truth be told, Super Paper Mario initially weirded me out with its odd character design, I only kept playing because I wanted to fight Mr. L. But by that time, I had warmed up to it and was enjoying the story so I played it to completion and it's been my favorite game for a while now.

Sticker Star was entertaining for the first 5 minutes until the novelty of playing Paper Mario on a handheld wore off and it became terribly boring. I do want them to bring back partner characters but I also think that they should be as varied as TTYD if not moreso, though I would still accept all classic enemies if they were as unique as the ones in 64 and TTYD. I'd also like them to take a crack at a completely original set of partners at some point, like SPM tried with the Pixls but honestly failed because they never spoke beyond when you first meet them.

Unless the next Paper Mario has battle gameplay like the first two, which is unlikely, I probably won't care about it.

As for partners, as well as enemies for the most part, I would much prefer normal enemies over new designs. The best enimeies are ones are ones that are new twists on old variants, such as Koopatrols. Mr. L was the best character in SPM cause he was a classic Mario character with a dramatic change. New enemies are still fine, and returning ones like Clefts are decent, as long as they fit the style.

Besides, a Koopatrol partner would be awesome.

I hate that the only "good" NPCs are all Toads, with the only exceptions being countable on one hand. Bring back some other species as ally NPCs! Koopas, Goombas, Bandits, Doogans, Bob-ombs, etc...
I don't even care if we don't get a straight-up partner system. I just want more variety and less of a Toad-dominant cast.

Also, at the risk of attracting the next MemoryMan sequel, I'd love to see what they could do if Sarasaland ended up being the place being explored. As I said in my "favorite characters" post, I think Daisy could serve as an NPC who gives tips on her kingdom if you talk to her.
Plus, returning to Sarasaland would bring the potential of more species for NPCs.

If by "good" you mean NPCs you can talk to, then color splash is actually making effort, as there are not just toads you can talk to. There are the members of the koopa troop that are on the sunset express. That's just an example.

Personnally, I'd like to have partners back, but it's not much of a big deal for me if Mario's on his own. But I would LOVE not having consumable stickers/cards as attacks because it's annoying and doesn't make sense (how can Mario use his hammer in the overworld without any problem but he needs a hammer card to do it in battle). In terms of plot, a compliquated story is obviously better than the old Bowser kidnaps Peach formula.

Koops the koopa troopa said:
In terms of plot, a compliquated story is obviously better than the old Bowser kidnaps Peach formula.

Not really.

a complicated story doesnt mean its a good one, and more complicated storylines often fuck up and leave a lot more questions then answers and then it just goes down a path of dislike and general lack of sense.

Theres a good chunk of rpgs that suffer from this terrible form of writing(such as ff13 and kh2).

Besides an rpg can be excellent with a barely existing plot(see path of exile and diablo 2).

So your point is very moot.

Think about it. it's harder to write a good storyline AND it's easier to screw it up the more complex it gets. And in terms of how Nintendo thinks, they rather focus that energy in making their games actually engaging to play first rather than say why bad guy did this.

Baby Luigi said:
Think about it. it's harder to write a good storyline AND it's easier to screw it up the more complex it gets. And in terms of how Nintendo thinks, they rather focus that energy in making their games actually engaging to play first rather than say why bad guy did this.

Especially since 9 times out of ten it's always the same thing, world/universal domination.

I wonder which mechanic a new Paper Mario would use
I mean, a new mechanic will happen, considering how the Sticker Star/Color Splash-esque formula seems to be here to stay. (Whether this is good or not is up to you lol)

Oh well, Color Splash was surprisingly a pretty good game to me so I'm curious to see where the series is going.
Story-wise I think Color Splash nailed it as well, the only problem is the overpopulation of generic Toads everywhere...

Wouldn't mind a PM64 or TTYD remake though... Or a Super Paper Mario sequel! That game is definitely underrated

I suggested this before in another thread, but how about some new Marioverses for Paper Mario to explore and bring Marios from? We've seen Paper Mario go to new worlds within the Paper Marioverse, but that's not what I mean. Super Paper Mario tried doing this with Flipside, but it didn't fit with the whole Mario atmosphere. If Paper Mario wants to explore new universes, it's gotta go all out. One step into a new universe, he's the only thing still made of paper.

What I'm thinking of is a game where you go through some altered Marioverses, each one with characters and settings either made of a different material or with a specific theme. So we got Paper Mario, but then there's also Yarn Mario, Plant Mario, Robot Mario, etc. and they could each be used to solve puzzles in other worlds based on how they interact with the environments.

Again, I'm not sure who would be a suitable villain, but I would imagine one of the Bowsers (maybe from a Wizard world?) overpowering the others and wishing to enslave the multiple "inferior worlds", and of course kidnap all the Princess Peaches.

Koops the koopa troopa said:
If by "good" you mean NPCs you can talk to, then color splash is actually making effort, as there are not just toads you can talk to. There are the members of the koopa troop that are on the sunset express. That's just an example.
J-Yoshi64 said:
I hate that the only "good" NPCs are all Toads, with the only exceptions being countable on one hand.
Hyperbole aside,
MrRoidley said:
the only problem is the overpopulation of generic Toads everywhere...
This is exactly my point.

I think there could be some time traveling. That would be a nice idea.

And each time you time travel it changes the quality of the graphics

I know that there is a high chance that no one wants to talk about this, but bump.

So recently I watched a playthrough of Paper Mario Color Splash and... if you want my most honest of opinions... it looked great! It’s not like the first two games, but it’s maybe just as great! This gives me hope that the next game on, most likely on the switch, will be just as good. And now that I got that out of the way, let’s get to the actual point of this thread:

What do you want to see in the next Paper Mario game?

I’d say as long as the game is enjoyable and not all characters are generic, I’m okay with it. Also don’t change the graphic style, except maybe if the main characters (Mario, Peach, Luigi, etc...) got a redesign to look more like their main series appearance, which makes sense seen they did that to most other enemies, I’m okay too.

I'm glad someone agrees with me that Paper Mario: Color Splash was a great game! I absolutely enjoyed it!

What do you want to see in the next Paper Mario game?
I'd like to see the same gameplay as Color Splash with some elements from the original Paper Mario, like for instance, different partners instead of one.

Seeing some Color Splash gameplay myself, I did not mind the abundance of Toads and other "generic" species. As long as they're well-defined as individual characters, and they seem to be to an extent thanks to their dialogue, I'm perfectly fine with it. I adore how the whole world is built out of paper and cardboard, and how creatively the whole paper aesthetic was handled in general. You don't see it that much in older Paper Mario games. I also love how they mixed in so many different visuals with the Thing animations; they're just so surreal! I'm not a big fan of how the writing is so heavy in pop culture references, but it's otherwise witty and the jokes I've seen are funny.

The only thing that prevented me from getting the game was, of course, the battle system. And it's essential to the gameplay.

I like to compare the game to a pile of feces that's been billowed in a lot of sweet fragrance. It smells really good. But it's shít at core.

I enjoyed it myself but mind you I never really held the series in as high a regard as everyone else did.

CS had good qualities but I still think the series is being held back if they keep restricting it from having the character creativity of the first 3 games. And I hate the idea of Mario being redesigned, the PM art style has become iconic for that series and if the main characters stayed mostly the same even through the redesigns for some enemies, that's a good sign that even the developers of Sticker Star knew better than to remove Paper Mario's iconic design. The most redesigning the main characters have had since TTYD were updating Peach's dress in SPM and giving slightly more detail to Bowser's spikes in SS, and it should stay that way. I'd like the flash style of TTYD to come back though. I miss the fluid animations and the more alive-seeming worlds. The paper aesthetic from SS and especially CS is neato but it wears itself out for me a lot quicker and makes the world seem more artificial.

I think the only hope Paper Mario has of being itself again is Ryota Kawade coming back. Even if he was open to the idea of another new gameplay style after SPM, I don't think he wanted OCs to be axed and I also don't think he would've stubbornly continued a gameplay style that was panned. After seeing the reactions to the series since he left, I'm confident he would rather make a follow-up to TTYD (which he didn't deny the possibility of unlike Tanabe) if they could actually bring him back to the team. But that's unlikely, we're probably stuck with just Tanabe again for the next one and he'll probably try and incorporate Labo into it because lul cardboard and when asked about PM characters he'll say "Oh you mean Kersti and Huey from PM 1 and 2 right?"

Steamed Hams said:
dang right they should make a version of the waffle kingdom arc in TTYD.

I just want luigi's story as the new game. With new unique mechanics that are GOOD but different from the two first games, SPM and the last two game. Just to see luigi's side of the story, oh and having mario being an npc that does what luigi did in TTYD with his patners talking for him. That, that would be my dream Paper Mario for Switch, something unique and familiar at the same time. Or just remake TTYD and add luigi's story as an unlockable second game with the same system.

Reposted from GameFAQs...

+Partners again for sure.
+Multiple Jump and Hammer moves for Mario on the overworld, along with the game's unique field mechanic.
+Bowser to be sidelined or not show up as a show of good faith. At best, he should be a secret boss.
+Kammy or even Kamella instead of Kamek, with normal Magikoopas as normal enemies.
+Named, uniquely designed NPC species on top of or besides Toads.
+A story that focuses on the characters, not the paper.
+The TTYD battle system (Hammer hits front enemy, Jumps hit any enemy, Stylish moves, infinitely useable weak moves with FP for stronger moves, dynamic Special Meter increases), with a new hook on top of or potentially besides the stage meta-mechanic.
+EXP Points from non-boss enemies increasing HP.

Back