2001: A Mario Odyssey

I got a Switch and Super Mario Odyssey for my birthday back in December. It took me long enough to bother with playing beyond the first few levels, but I like this game a lot! I do like the environments of this game, especially the cool take on Bowser's castle. I got to finish the main story today.

YFJ said:
I just hope they keep the DLC free; the game was $60 anyway...
$60 won't get you far in most <high-pitched nasal voice>triple A</high-pitched nasal voice> gaems these days; we're lucky we're given a full $60 game in the first place without any "addon" or "DLC" content (including cosmetics) locked behind paywalls or loot crates.

Not betting on free DLC.

It's not very substantial, at least relatively. It's not like Mario Kart 8 or Breath of the Wild (both $60) where we got a bunch of new content.

This might seem like a silly question, but is there any notion of what food the pink sauce lava of the Luncheon Kingdom is supposed to be? Every time I see it, it looks so delicious, like some kind of melted candy sauce, or frosting or even strawberry cake batter or something. Yet, there are mounds of salt, and though pinches of salt are used in sweets, this is apparently supposed to be a regular "food", and not a sweet, especially with the vegetables all around (which themselves are brightly colored like candy or fruit), and the meat and pot of stew in places.

There is "pink sauce" for seafood, but this is tomato-based, and thus not the same color (it's more "flesh" colored). There's also a "pink penne pesto" sauce, which is closer, but is beet-based, and thus a bit deeper and purplish, and very lumpy textured.

Eric B said:
This might seem like a silly question, but is there any notion of what food the pink sauce lava of the Luncheon Kingdom is supposed to be?
The game only ever refers to it as magma, but i mean thats pretty lazy. they should have called it hot sauce

Weasel said:
pepto bismol

because you'll need it after eating all the scenery
Damn, I was about to respond with the same thing.

Has anybody here executed the Talkatoo glitch, especially in New Donk City? I was initially not interested, but after some encouragement from my cousin, I decided to do it since he's not skilled enough to do it. I managed to do it in New Donk City, especially in the skipping rope area. Based on my friend's list, only one other person (who is a MarioBoards member, I must add) did that from what I can see.

Thank you for reading.

I did it, but I don't know how to use it to cheese the jump rope challenge. I ended up having to beat that one the normal way.

J-Yoshi64 said:
I always thought it was some kind of soup.

Yeah, but what kind of soup is that color?

Weasel said:
pepto bismol

because you'll need it after eating all the scenery

I didn't even think of that! Funny! (though that's not what they would seriously have it be).

Magikrazy said:
I did it, but I don't know how to use it to cheese the jump rope challenge. I ended up having to beat that one the normal way.

If you are still interested in attempting this challenge, basically after you successfully talked to Talkatoo after Cappy almost touched it, then ensure the Talkatoo cannot be seen from the camera (you only have a few seconds to do this). After that, position Mario so that he's facing the general direction of Talkatoo while in the skipping rope area. Do a ground pound (ZR) and then press R so that the camera quickly rotates to attempt to get behind Mario, causing Talkatoo to be in view and locking Mario in place.

I only managed to get a score of 860 before I accidentally pressed a button, but I think that's good enough. Given that I have beaten the challenge normally, it's not a big issue for me, but knowing how to do it is going to be useful in getting 100% again.

Thank you for reading.

Too bad there's not a glitch like that for volleyball. Some way to keep Mario (or Cappy) right above that stupid snail the whole time.

J-Yoshi64 said:
Too bad there's not a glitch like that for volleyball. Some way to keep Mario (or Cappy) right above that stupid snail the whole time.

At least there's an easy way to beat it, which is good enough. I am referring to how you can control Cappy in 2P mode and make him do all the work. It's easier because Cappy is always levitating so he can go anywhere on your side of the court very quickly.

Thank you for reading.

I tried doing the volleyball in 2 Player Mode, but I couldn't get the hang of the controls in that mode and ended up doing just as well as my first time trying in 1 player mode. I ended up getting that moon the normal way as well. My high score is 159, and I don't care to break it any time soon.

Back