2001: A Mario Odyssey

Well I did it, I got everything.

I kind of don't see the point in getting every single moon aside from bragging rights. *shrug*

Is there a limit to buying moons?

I did it all to get
the harder version of the final boss

And no, there isn't.

What's the harder version like? Is it just "if you get hit once, you must pay a fee"?

Same fight but how he attacks varies a bit and he moves quicker, your health is unchanged.

Why is there even a harder version? That should've been the default. The first final (oxymoron lol) fight with Bowser is very, very predictable and pretty underwhelming to the point I'd compare it to Galaxy 2's fight.

I mean, he has, like, only four different attacks: throw hats and *bleep* at you, stomp like an idiot with easily-avoided fire rings, breathe fire in a circle. When you approach him, he can tail swipe you. It feels more like an effing Mario Party game, except with even less attacks compared to Mario Party 5's Frightmare. And he can spawn a heart or two if you ever oopsie-daisy.

I thought it was a good fight myself, just hampered by it being a more difficult version of what came before, which is why I feel Bowser should only ever be fought once at the end

They did a good job setting the mood and tension and aesthetics, but I think the fight itself fell short. Still, it's fun boxing Bowser in the crotch.

Oh yes, after all the crap he puts Mario through the whole game it felt pretty cathartic.

So the New Donkers are called that because of where they live. Their species is human. So I assume that Tostarenans is not the name of their species. Same with all the other locals you see in the game.

Maybe Tostarenans are Chinchos. I mean we do have the other enemy. And they are both undead so I see no reason why they can't be called Chinchos.

Steam Gardeners are robots.

Lochladies can still be called like that I think.

Bonneters... I don't know.

And neither do I know about the rest.

There are some things that would not have taken me by surprise if I watched the spoilers. I am glad I avoided them before playing this game because by seeing the twists play out the first time, it got me excited. I won't say for sure what they are, but to put it this way, I have reached New Donk City.

For New Donk City's Jump Rope minigame, how did you all do in this game? I have only managed to get 92 jumps at maximum with the moped trick, while only 58 if using regular jumps. When I looked at the leaderboards, I noticed that out of the 5 other friends playing the game, only 2 managed to get over 100 jumps (Freakworld and Gamefreak75), while the others got less than 50. Perhaps I should do this again when I can, but this is one of the hardest minigames I have encountered.

The Talkatoo is very useful in locating some of the Moons, since the hint is usually enough for me to figure out where to go from there. It's also useful in finding out if there are still Moons to collect after that level.

Thank you for reading.

I beat the game.

The thing that surprised me most about the ending is that Mario actually proposed to Peach. Doesn't that mean he could propose later and Peach might accept? I don't think that really happens in this game though. It's weird because it means it is canon that Mario wants to marry Peach. If anything, Mario X Peach fans should be happy about this ending because it means that the ship as canon at least on Mario's side and unclear on Peach's (although I guess they're mad because the ending can be interpreted to mean that Mario doesn't love Peach.

The final boss fight was pretty good; it was a lot like Galaxy in that it took a mechanic from the halfway Bowser fight and made it more difficult. I died a pretty decent amount of times on this fight, so I'm fairly satisfied with the difficulty. It was kind of odd how the playing-as-Bowser sequence was actually easier than the Bowser fight (I didn't die at all in the sequence, although I got close). I didn't like the song with lyrics that played at that part all that much since it sounded kinda generically like a certain genre that I'm not sure the name of; I'll stick with Jump Up Superstar (which I love, by the way).

As far as the game as a whole, it was pretty great. It gave me that same feeling of fun that the Galaxy games did. I'm not sure where exactly it falls compared to other Mario platformers, but it's probably pretty high. It's definitely higher than Super Mario Sunshine, 3D World, and all the games lower than those on my past Mario game rankings.

This point seems to be glossed over, so I would like to bring this up again:

winstein said:
The amazing part with this thread is, so far the title has not been changed to the game's title. It still retains the 2001: A Space Odyssey reference. I know everybody knows what game it's referring to, but what's the reason for retaining the Space Odyssey reference?

If there's no good reason to retain it, could it be changed to the game's actual title like the other game-related threads?

Thank you for reading.

I say keep it, we've come this far.

I remember when we had a reveal trailer for the game. A Super Mario Odyssey thread was created, but everyone chose this one instead, or something like that.

How everyone got excited when they saw the triple jump has returned.

Still remember it.

Luigi 64DD said:
I beat the game.

The thing that surprised me most about the ending is that Mario actually proposed to Peach. Doesn't that mean he could propose later and Peach might accept? I don't think that really happens in this game though. It's weird because it means it is canon that Mario wants to marry Peach. If anything, Mario X Peach fans should be happy about this ending because it means that the ship as canon at least on Mario's side and unclear on Peach's (although I guess they're mad because the ending can be interpreted to mean that Mario doesn't love Peach.
Once again I say this isn't something to worry about.
It should be pretty obvious how those two feel about each other.
SMRL-Line-Mario-Sunset.gif

I wanted to try the volleyball minigame because it seemed to be something I saw people talking (negatively) about a lot on a bunch of different places.

I actually kind of enjoyed it after the first attempt because I found out you could spike the ball while I was being impatient and trying to hit it back early, although once you get to 40~ you just had to stand in the middle and throw your cap at where the ball is going to land because there's no time to chase the ball.

That being said I only gave it a few tries since it's real time consuming even with the spikes. It was a lot more intense than the jump rope or the rc car.

I've found out that I don't really enjoy swimming around in this game, it's slow and the alternatives in captures just don't feel nearly as good as moving about on land. The movement is the best part of the game and it takes it away.

Back