2001: A Mario Odyssey

SMSbluecoin.png

Because of these bad boys.

Am I the only one who thinks that only losing 10 coins from dying (Similar to Kirby's Epic Yarn, where getting hit will only make you lose gems) is going to make the game easier, or too easy?

Since the game is about exploration and problem solving rather than getting from point A to B, I don't think so. Remember, games like Banjo-Tooie and DK64 had no lives either. They almost seem pointless in a sandbox type game.

Julia-BM said:
Am I the only one who thinks that only losing 10 coins from dying (Similar to Kirby's Epic Yarn, where getting hit will only make you lose gems) is going to make the game easier, or too easy?

Even with lives the game is going to be easy.

I like that they removed the lives because it was pointless. It was so easy to make lives in SMG2, SM3DL, and SM3DW. It also just wasted time if you happened to run out of lives or if you get all these lives and then you turn off the game, come back and then you are back at the default amount.

10 coins from dying is more of a penalty than lives though I still wish Nintendo can streamline the animation, like make you lose 10 coins right on death rather than AFTER death. Also, the death animations suck in this game.

As the others said lives are pretty pointless in a sandbox game like this. When playing soemthing like SM64, it feels like a pure waste of time when the Game Over screen pops up - as it doesn't cost any progress in the game, the only thing I have to do after a Game Over is to re-enter the castle and find the way to the course I want to collect stars in.
10 coins in my opinion is not enough of a penalty for the loss of a life on the other hand, especially considering how easy you can accumulate a great amount of coins in this game. Also, I would've changed the 100-coin moons to 100-regional-coin moons, to make them a bit more difficult and to award the player for collecting all 100 of those in a kingdom.

While having no lives may make it impossible to get game overs, you'd still have to maintain your health supply during boss fights; losing all your health means that you'll have to restart the boss fight from the very beginning.

If you can buy moons with normal coins, I'd be pretty pissed if I got my 100th coin to afford it, then died on the way to the store. If they're gonna make you collect coins for a moon, I say it should be within easy reach after the last coin like in Mario 64, not with potential death between you and it like certain missions in Galaxy. Then again, with how many multiple-coin blocks there are (I even was able to rack up a ton of them with Cappy against 1 block in the demo) there doesn't seem to be a challenge with the normal coins anyway.

Semako said:
As the others said lives are pretty pointless in a sandbox game like this.

10 coins in my opinion is not enough of a penalty for the loss of a life
Lives are just pointless in most platformers.

Their only purpose is probably for a hardcore or a arcade-like mode where if you lose all lives, you start from the beginning, but platformers don't need to have lives to be challenging.

And IMO I think Odyssey can do WITHOUT a penalty at all as by dying, you lose progress anyway.

Semako said:
As the others said lives are pretty pointless in a sandbox game like this. When playing soemthing like SM64, it feels like a pure waste of time when the Game Over screen pops up - as it doesn't cost any progress in the game, the only thing I have to do after a Game Over is to re-enter the castle and find the way to the course I want to collect stars in.
10 coins in my opinion is not enough of a penalty for the loss of a life on the other hand, especially considering how easy you can accumulate a great amount of coins in this game. Also, I would've changed the 100-coin moons to 100-regional-coin moons, to make them a bit more difficult and to award the player for collecting all 100 of those in a kingdom.

There's a reason why Regional Coins aren't used to buy Power Moons though. Only up to 100 exist in a specific kingdom, and they're used to buy outfits that may be required to complete certain objectives.

If the rules changed by making the Regional Coins be used to buy Power Moons, you could end up getting trapped and forced to start the game all over again, all because you're no longer able to buy any of the other items that require Regional Coins.

I think you could still have things like 1-Up Mushrooms in this game but they act like Fairies from the Zelda series. As soon as you lose all your health the 1-Up Mushroom fills it back up again. There would probably be a limit to how many you can have like 5 or something. And they'd be really rare or expensive.

My local Target and GameStop also have Nintendo Switch systems set up now, and you can even play a demo of Super Mario Odyssey. However, the demo has you playing at Tostarena, and it has a time limit as well.

Aaaaand the Best Buys are all super far away and not including that Best Buy in *small California Suburb Town* where I live.

One of them is about 45 - 60 min away from where I live, so I could go, but I don't know if I'll bother since I'd have to get someone to drive me there.

MnSG said:
My local Target and GameStop also have Nintendo Switch systems set up now, and you can even play a demo of Super Mario Odyssey. However, the demo has you playing at Tostarena, and it has a time limit as well.
My GameStop has a Switch, but I haven't checked to see if it has an Odyessey demo. Come to think of it, I think it may have been decorated with Odyessey stickers, so there's a good chance it does. Of course, the next time I need to go to Gamestop is to pick my copy of the game, so not much of a point of playing it then.

"Jump up, Super Star!" is live on the American Itunes shop.
You know, if you want to legally get the track.

Back