2001: A Mario Odyssey

Samurai Mario is awesome and should have been in the game.

I have a feeling they will include him for some reason. I mean, if they have even made a tribute to that one obscure Mario Golf game.

Mister Wu said:
chicken and egg problem: which came first? The artwork or SMO's prototype?
as far as I know, the 2D vector art came first, like a few years ago (I used it for my summer Steam avatar for instance). No one really noticed until Super Mario Odyssey popularized it.

YouTube video spoilers for Super Mario Odyssey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7pTNh8zo5k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG16-Vq57MM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUaCAwWh1RY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkRUiG5PubU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhHbGIJswj0

I just saw the first video because it's overwhelming otherwise. Aww, Mario sleeps again. Very cute. Not as noisy as I remember it though. And also, that bird, so cute lol. Wonder what species it is. :P

Trunks Mario said:
Mister Wu said:
chicken and egg problem: which came first? The artwork or SMO's prototype?
as far as I know, the 2D vector art came first, like a few years ago (I used it for my summer Steam avatar for instance). No one really noticed until Super Mario Odyssey popularized it.
Actually, from what I know the artwork was released on Play Nintendo in 2016, I personally uploaded it to the wiki. This is why I was talking about SMO prototype. At the Switch teaser there was already a mostly worknig Super Mario Odyssey.

Odyssey's probably the first game in my entire Internet presence that I would rather avoid spoilers than gorge on them as they come. I want to experience everything I don't already know when playing :P

Though I'm sure I'll cave.

I totally agree. I just want to know basic information like the Kingdoms (and some of them at that), but not the precise locations of the power moons, that's a spoiler to avoid.

I just avoid Super Mario Odyssey information altogether.

The Cascade Kingdom may be the same level as the tropical poison lake Kingdom. Maybe there's a transition similar to 64's Tiny-Huge island, or something more complex, but the connections are there.

Firstly, the obvious one:

Both areas have the same colour of Power Moon.

They're both yellow. Every Kingdom shown so far has a unique colour for these; New Donk City's bronze, Steam Garden's blue or Bubblaine's purple. However, as you can see in these images:

SFyZrry.png
zFFWQOa.png

Both yellow. This is the biggest indicator towards these areas being the same, but with that in mind I'm going to speculate a little more:

Thematic links

Both areas share the same theme of a tropical, prehistoric world. Cascade Kingdom's got dinosaurs everywhere, both in fossil form and alive, with a lush green setting with rainbows and waterfalls. Tropical Poison Kingdom is a poison jungle, with exotic trees and creatures. Hell, this guy sorta looks like it'd fit in well with a T-rex.

bZQFJUc.png

Story

LhRrA6T.png

As you can see, the first Kingdom Mario and Cappy visit after the tutorial Cap Kingdom is this fossil-shaped island, which is the Cascade Kingdom. They initially travel there to repair their airship, the Odyssey, as Bowser's attack on Bonneton destroyed many of their airships.

Looking back once more at the Tropical Poison Kingdom, see this:

Fn2LvGB.png

The Starshroom, being used as a Crazy Cap store, with one of the Toad Brigade members staffing it. Could it be that this Toad is the one who helps to rebuild the Odyssey? But wouldn't the ship be rebuilt in the Cascade Kingdom ? ??

Unless they're the same place... :thinking:

Anyway, tinfoil hats off now. The only real connection is the Power Moon colours, but it's fun to speculate. Thoughts?

Ryoma Hoshi said:
The Cascade Kingdom may be the same level as the tropical poison lake Kingdom. Maybe there's a transition similar to 64's Tiny-Huge island, or something more complex, but the connections are there.

Firstly, the obvious one:

Both areas have the same colour of Power Moon.

They're both yellow. Every Kingdom shown so far has a unique colour for these; New Donk City's bronze, Steam Garden's blue or Bubblaine's purple. However, as you can see in these images:

SFyZrry.png
zFFWQOa.png

Both yellow. This is the biggest indicator towards these areas being the same, but with that in mind I'm going to speculate a little more:

Thematic links

Both areas share the same theme of a tropical, prehistoric world. Cascade Kingdom's got dinosaurs everywhere, both in fossil form and alive, with a lush green setting with rainbows and waterfalls. Tropical Poison Kingdom is a poison jungle, with exotic trees and creatures. Hell, this guy sorta looks like it'd fit in well with a T-rex.

bZQFJUc.png

Story

LhRrA6T.png

As you can see, the first Kingdom Mario and Cappy visit after the tutorial Cap Kingdom is this fossil-shaped island, which is the Cascade Kingdom. They initially travel there to repair their airship, the Odyssey, as Bowser's attack on Bonneton destroyed many of their airships.

Looking back once more at the Tropical Poison Kingdom, see this:

Fn2LvGB.png

The Starshroom, being used as a Crazy Cap store, with one of the Toad Brigade members staffing it. Could it be that this Toad is the one who helps to rebuild the Odyssey? But wouldn't the ship be rebuilt in the Cascade Kingdom ? ??

Unless they're the same place... :thinking:

Anyway, tinfoil hats off now. The only real connection is the Power Moon colours, but it's fun to speculate. Thoughts?

Interesting, but that yellow thing is actually a new NPC. He is not only on one kingdom he's also at Seaside Kingdom as well.
His name is Glydon

And I find him beautiful, too. And the Broodals have padded feet despite being rabbits. Good to know that the nice old traditions haven't gone away...

The Luncheon Kingdom sounds very french.

Almost....too french.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Odyssey's probably the first game in my entire Internet presence that I would rather avoid spoilers than gorge on them as they come. I want to experience everything I don't already know when playing :P

Though I'm sure I'll cave.

Hey FawfulTheGreat, is it just me, or does the gloomy Bonneton remind you of Boggly Woods or Castle Bleck?

Mcmadness said:
The Luncheon Kingdom sounds very french.

Almost....too french.

I hope it's very French.

Since Earth and the Mushroom Kingdom are no longer two different worlds, and are one world as evident of Odyssey, I question if Mario is still originally Italian-American.

I hope there's an Italy based Kingdom.

Metro Kingdom = America
New Donk City = New York City

____ Kingdom = Italy?

Well, the Luncheon Kingdom's Mt. Volbono sounds like something Italian, I think especially because it's a volcano and that it could remind you of the Vesuvio in Pompei, I guess, but as some people said above, it looks too french. Well, I don't find it french but still.

TheSuperStarSaga said:
Hey FawfulTheGreat, is it just me, or does the gloomy Bonneton remind you of Boggly Woods or Castle Bleck?
It does. Moreso Castle Bleck to me since Boggly Woods did have a bit more color to it, but I love the Paper Mario connections I've noticed even if they probably aren't intentional. I don't care for more spoilers though.

My favorite outfit is the one with the old colors. Because I'm a sucker for red overalls.

By the way, when Mario falls asleep, a bird lands on his nose.
SMO-ND0913-SCRN29.jpg

Is this a reference to Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker or it already happened in past Super Mario games and I just missed this detail?

Back