Super Mario Run

I think it's a matter of time until they announce Peach and Rosalina being playable in this game. Maybe not for release, but for a future update. I'm sure little gitls will like it a lot, and the abilities they sport would be really useful for this game. Peach could have her signature floating and Rosalina could Spin Jump like in Super Mario 3D World.

Hobbes said:
The thing is, this free-to-start model is, in my opinion, not the best option at all. Or at least make it less expensive. Look at Pokémon GO, the game is freemium and at its peak it made USD$10 million a day. In less than three months it hit the USD$600 million mark.

Let's take Super Mario 3D World, the latest installment in the Mario series and the fourth-best selling game for the Wii U. In over three years, it has made around USD$300 million. Half of what Pokémon GO made in only a twelfth of the time.

When it comes to mobile, you want volume. You want a *bleep*ton of people downloading your game for free and a fraction of them paying for extra content. You want it to be a massive phenomenon, even if just for a few months. You don't want a very small fraction of mobile phone users buying an expensive game. Just look at the top grossing apps chart on your app store; I'm looking at the Mexican Play Store and the first paid app (Minecraft) appears in the 28th place. The it's GTA in #49. Then that's it, if we go all the way down to #100. Only two paid apps could "rival" free apps in revenue; and let's be clear, they have no chance at matching them in downloads. Oh, and those two apps are around half the price of Super Mario Run.

It's a $10 NSMBesque game on mobile phones.

It's gonna sell.

played this at the apple store today, it was pretty fun
you could only play the first three levels and a 15 sec trial of 1-4
me and my friends got all the pink coins in 1-1 and then it unlocked more purple coins so we were like fuk that and left lol

Anser said:
I think it's a matter of time until they announce Peach and Rosalina being playable in this game. Maybe not for release, but for a future update. I'm sure little gitls will like it a lot, and the abilities they sport would be really useful for this game. Peach could have her signature floating and Rosalina could Spin Jump like in Super Mario 3D World.

No Daisy = Riot.

Hobbes said:
The thing is, this free-to-start model is, in my opinion, not the best option at all. Or at least make it less expensive. Look at Pokémon GO, the game is freemium and at its peak it made USD$10 million a day. In less than three months it hit the USD$600 million mark.

Let's take Super Mario 3D World, the latest installment in the Mario series and the fourth-best selling game for the Wii U. In over three years, it has made around USD$300 million. Half of what Pokémon GO made in only a twelfth of the time.
That's disgusting. I really hate mobile gaming.

Mcmadness said:
Hobbes said:

When it comes to mobile, you want volume. You want a *bleep*ton of people downloading your game for free and a fraction of them paying for extra content. You want it to be a massive phenomenon, even if just for a few months. You don't want a very small fraction of mobile phone users buying an expensive game. Just look at the top grossing apps chart on your app store; I'm looking at the Mexican Play Store and the first paid app (Minecraft) appears in the 28th place. The it's GTA in #49. Then that's it, if we go all the way down to #100. Only two paid apps could "rival" free apps in revenue; and let's be clear, they have no chance at matching them in downloads. Oh, and those two apps are around half the price of Super Mario Run.

It's a $10 NSMBesque game on mobile phones.

It's gonna sell.
Oh yes, I'm not doubting for a second it's gonna sell, I'm just saying it would have made way more money if it had been a freemium game.

Anser said:

It would be a pain in the ass for Nintendo to implement that into the game. Remember the time where Nintendo tried to implement Peach as a playable character in NSMBWii and how it was a pain for her to be a playable character because the floating animation and crap would be a pain to program for. They ended up making her be a damsel in distress as usual. If they wanted to make Peach a playable character then they would have to give her a new outfit and a ponytail which would make things easier to animate and program, along with giving her new abilities that work without her dress like her floating. Rosalina will have to go through the same procedure except that she'll get to keep her spin jump.

Hobbes said:
Oh yes, I'm not doubting for a second it's gonna sell, I'm just saying it would have made way more money if it had been a freemium game.

I doubt it. It doesn't exactly have a whole of extras to sell to people overtime.

We'll be seeing a bunch of super mario run sequels if this takes off.

People buy the most idiotic stuff once they become addicted to the game (extra lives, power-ups, you name it). Hell, for the vast majority of the games in the top grossing chart I didn't even know you could buy stuff but apparently people spend enough money on them to make them much more profitable than any paid app.

Yeah but that would be a bit of a dick move for a game like this. Especially since most runner games don't do that.

BURN TO THE GROUND SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hobbes said:
Well, runner games don't cost $10 either.

Most runner games are just one never ending level.

im too lazy to look through the past few pages but to the people who are asking if this is going to sell:

tracking has this game on point to make ~$70million when it comes out, i believe

that's pretty fucking nice

The game's plot intro / how to play, at the 5:44 mark

Intro references SM64 again.

Dear Mario,

Why don't you join
us at the castle for
a party?

I'll bake a cake.

Yours truly, Peach
Then there's Mario.

Then Bowser shows up to Mario.
Bwa ha ha!
I'll be taking that cake!
And Peach, too!
Then the tutorial begins.

Analysis, anyone?

maybe it's an alternate universe plot where we start off with the beginning of sm64 but then something goes wrong

Nabber said:
maybe it's an alternate universe plot where we start off with the beginning of sm64 but then something goes wrong

but everything changed when steve jobs attacked

She is baking a cake, but that's not why she invited Mario over.

She's pregnant.

And she isn't sure who the father is.

That's why Luigi, Toad, and Yoshi are also playable.

Still amuses me how Peach did the "bake a cake" thing that one time in SM64 and now it's become her way of rewarding good behavior

Mcmadness said:
Still amuses me how Peach did the "bake a cake" thing that one time in SM64 and now it's become her way of rewarding good behavior
The thing is that she did it for a second time in SMG2.

It did say, that it uses much less data most of the time though. so probably only the online modes like toad rally and such use that much data.
(In fact my guess as to why it's online only to begin with, is because of My Nintendo & Toad Rally.)

Back