What new things should Nintendo add in Mariokart 9 (Next Mariokart)

I just realized that the Spiny Shell should be colored red for the next game, because I'm getting rather irritated with how people are calling that specific item a Blue Shell (a completely different kind of shell).

In fact, an actual Blue Shell item should be considered, where it operates exactly like a Green Shell, except for that it temporarily freezes anyone that it touches (like in the Mario Strikers series).

ShellNSMB.png

Blue shell is not the item's official name, but people are more used to call it like that. I don't see the problem in calling it a blue shell, because it's basically a shell with blue coloration, and otherwise unlisted wings and spikes on it.

Nintendo, make that straight-line racetrack someday.

Koopd Guy said:
Blue shell is not the item's official name, but people are more used to call it like that. I don't see the problem in calling it a blue shell, because it's basically a shell with blue coloration, and otherwise unlisted wings and spikes on it.

Still, if you're well familiar with the Super Mario franchise, you'd think that people could tell the differences, since your typical Blue Shell does not have spikes.

Just make the Blue Shell a new item that freezes races, bam, you got idiots confused and therefore, forced to make people refer to Spiny Shell as the correct name :)

i expect a huge improvement in voice acting for MK9 , MK8 is such a let down and that needs to change.

Fawful & Cackletta said:
it's a shell

it's blue

the others are called by their colors, i think calling it a blue shell is fine

The Green Shell and Red Shell are basically normal shells though. While the Mario Kart series Spiny Shell is colored blue, it shouldn't be confused with the actual Blue Shell that's in Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros., and the Mario Strikers series.

The thing is that some people's scope of the Mario Series is limited to Mario Kart. There is no other Blue shell to them besides the Spiny Shell.
Blue Shell is easier to say and it rolls off the tongue better anyway.

I'm aware of the actual Blue Shell in the Mario Series, but I still refer to the spiny shell as blue shell when I talk about Mario Kart because people will still understand me anyway.

Of course if a real Blue Shell is added, people will adapt. but at this moment it doesn't matter.

It's just kinda pedantic tbh. If someone calls Donkey Kong a gorilla, I'm not gonna be like, "no thats not a gorilla, thats donkey kong".

DIDDY KONG IS NOT A CHIMP STOP REFERRING TO HIM AS ONE MOTHER OF MERCY

Guys, I don't want to ruin the party, but in the in-game data of Mario Kart 7 the shells have those names:

KouraG
KouraR
KouraB
KouraG3
KouraR3

Try to guess what R, G and B mean...

KouraG means "Good lord that thing ricocheted off the wall and it hit me!"
KouraR means "Really? You threw that at me as soon as I got a coin?"
KouraB means "BULL. SHIT."
KouraG3 means "Gee, I have a triple shield now."
KouraR3 means the three R's in Mario Kart. "Retarded", "Rolling", and "Raaawwwwwrrr!"

This is the dream roster that I'd like to see:

Removals from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:
  • Baby Daisy
  • Baby Rosalina
  • Cat Peach
  • Tanooki Mario
  • Metal Mario
  • Gold Mario
  • Pink Gold Peach
  • Animal Crossover characters (Wait, Nintendo already use that pun. Just all crossover characters on one line then.)

Returning (weren't in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe):
  • Diddy Kong
  • Birdo
  • Wiggler
  • Funky Kong

New characters:
  • Baby Wario
  • Toadsworth
  • Prof. E. Gadd
  • Kamek
  • Pianta
  • Hammer Bro.
  • Boom Boom

A better roster, all at the cost of having two less total characters.

Pretty funny how you get rid of all the alternate forms of characters but then your first suggestion for a new character is an alternate form of a character

I wouldn't remove any character.

Mario Kart 8 didn't really acknowledge 3D World at all tbh

Speaking of palette swaps...
  • Mario
    • Fire Mario
    • Ice Mario
    • Flying Mario
  • Luigi
    • Fire Luigi
    • Ice Luigi
    • Flying Luigi
  • Peach
    • Fire Peach
  • Yoshi
    • Red Yoshi
    • Blue Yoshi
    • Yellow Yoshi
    • Light Blue Yoshi
    • Pink Yoshi
    • Purple Yoshi
    • Orange Yoshi
    • Black Yoshi
    • White Yoshi
  • Rosalina
    • Fire Rosalina
  • Toad
    • Red Toad
    • Blue Toad
    • Green Toad
    • Yellow Toad
    • Purple Toad
  • Luma
    • Red Luma
    • Blue Luma
    • Green Luma
    • Apricot Luma
    • Polari
  • Koopa Troopa
    • Red Koopa Troopa
    • Blue Koopa Troopa
    • Yellow Koopa Troopa
  • Shy Guy
    • Blue Shy Guy
    • Green Shy Guy
    • Yellow Shy Guy
    • Light Blue Shy Guy
    • Pink Shy Guy
    • Purple Shy Guy
    • Orange Shy Guy
    • Black Shy Guy
    • White Shy Guy
  • Hammer Bro
    • Fire Bro
    • Boomerang Bro
    • Ice Bro
  • Lakitu
    • Green Lakitu
  • Dry Bones
    • Dark Bones
  • Metal Mario
    • Gold Mario
  • Kamek
    • Red Magikoopa
    • Green Magikoopa
    • Yellow Magikoopa
    • Purple Magikoopa
    • Black Magikoopa
  • Kritter
    • Red Kritter
    • Blue Kritter
    • Brown Kritter

J-Yoshi64 said:
I'm not sure about Polari. He has a different voice. Unless that would be included with the palette swap?

The Polari coloration did appear in Smash 3DS / Wii U, but it did not affect the Luma's voice clips at all. There could be more Lumas who use Polari's coloration, but so far, there's only one notable Luma who's colored brown.

Dream rosters? Hoo boy.
**denotes that I wouldn't mind if they stuck around

Likely to be removed
Tanooki Mario
Cat Peach
Lakitu
Metal Mario**
Pink Gold Peach
Gold Mario
Inklings**
Link
Villagers**
Isabelle

Bring back (from previous titles)
Diddy Kong
Birdo
Paratroopa
R.O.B.

Dream Characters (Mario Series)
Wool Yoshi (palette swap)
Pianta
Shadow Mario (perhaps in place of Metal Mario)
E. Gadd

Dream Characters (Non-Mario Series)
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Bandana Dee

I would disagree with having Shadow Mario in the game instead of Metal Mario because Metal Mario is a bit of a drastic variation of Mario. Bowser Jr. is already close to the same weight as Mario, so having Metal Mario replaced with a light-middleweight wouldn't make much sense, unless Shadow Mario ended up being fully lightweight.

Baby Luigi said:
Mario Kart 8 didn't really acknowledge 3D World at all tbh
And that's a problem I have with 8.

From the SM3DW "References in later games" section.
  • Mario Kart 8: The Piranha Plant returns as an item. Stamp images are reused in N64 Rainbow Road's fireworks. Stamps can also be collected in this game. The Double Cherry appears as an ad in Toad Harbor. There is a DLC cup named the Bell Cup, which has a course called Super Bell Subway.
    • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: The crown mechanic in Battle Mode is similar to the mechanic in multi-player of Super Mario 3D World, where the player with the highest score from one stage will be wearing a crown in the next stage.
There's also the Cat Cruiser and Cat Peach.

I honestly think a Sprixie Princess could have been included in the roster.

Back