What new things should Nintendo add in Mariokart 9 (Next Mariokart)

Hats

We have Dry Dry Desert and Dry Dry Ruins. Let's add more tracks based on Paper Mario 64 locations!

Lavalava Island! Mt. Lavalava! Shy Guy's Toy Box! Cloudy Climb! Pleasant Path! Shooting Star Summit!

Dry Dry Desert and Dry Dry Ruins have nothing to do with the Paper Mario versions though.

Plus you got it backwards, Dry Dry Desert in Mario Kart came first.

Mcmadness said:

Wasn't Dry Dry Desert originally in Double Dash, which came out after Paper Mario?

I've been thinking about Hammer Bro. and co. in Mario Kart... I think that it might actually be plausible to have other Bros. as palette swaps without too much faffing around. They share the exact same basic structure, which saves making new models per Bro., and much of the same colour scheme, so I think if you carefully plan the texture sheets, you can probably put all of the colour changing parts on one sheet and only change that one. I also think it would be possible to do it even if they had a trick which involved throwing a projectile in the air, though it would take a bit more work then. All of the projectiles have a circular throwing motion about a central point, so although different models would be required for each projectile, the same movement could be used, and I don't think the movement points would need changing, unless you want to be fancy with the ice and fire balls.

I'm not 100% sure about all of that, I don't know much about modelling, it's just the stuff I've picked up from around here mainly. But I think that'd be how it'd work.

Byakuya Togami said:
Mcmadness said:

Wasn’t Dry Dry Desert originally in Double Dash, which came out after Paper Mario?

You're right, I'm thinking of the train Mario uses to get there.

Kalamari Desert's name IS Dry Dry Desert in Japanese though.

Rantarou Amami said:
Location themed circuits rather than character circuits. Imagine if, instead of Mario Circuit and Luigi Circuit and all of those again, we got Bonneton Circuit, Tostarena Circuit, New Donk Circuit. They would be much more creative and fun than just another generic track.
In the meantime, Mario should get themed track that isn't a circuit. Even a romp through the underground sewers with the aesthetics of The Dump will be a fresh change from the circuits he gets. Luigi gets a mansion, Bowser gets a rainy city, Yoshi gets a valley, Wario gets a mountain, Waluigi gets a friggin' pinball, Mario gets... generic race tracks.

Mario has nice race tracks in the Mario Kart: Arcade GP games, but they're only a small step above the horribly boring Circuits.

Have something like Mario's Gay Castle again.

i want to play the AGPDX game and hear the announcer say blah blah blah ROSETTA! first place and such

Namco seems a bit more inspired than Nintendo sometimes.

I freaking love that announcer. He makes the races very lively.

Screw people who might find him annoying. I want him in an official Mario Kart game.

Baby Luigi said:
Kalamari Desert's name IS Dry Dry Desert in Japanese though.

Then what is DD's Desert in Japan?

Dry Dry Desert is Dry Dry Desert in Japan.

yay to recycled track names

BBQ Turtle said:
I've been thinking about Hammer Bro. and co. in Mario Kart... I think that it might actually be plausible to have other Bros. as palette swaps without too much faffing around. They share the exact same basic structure, which saves making new models per Bro., and much of the same colour scheme, so I think if you carefully plan the texture sheets, you can probably put all of the colour changing parts on one sheet and only change that one. I also think it would be possible to do it even if they had a trick which involved throwing a projectile in the air, though it would take a bit more work then. All of the projectiles have a circular throwing motion about a central point, so although different models would be required for each projectile, the same movement could be used, and I don't think the movement points would need changing, unless you want to be fancy with the ice and fire balls.

I'm not 100% sure about all of that, I don't know much about modelling, it's just the stuff I've picked up from around here mainly. But I think that'd be how it'd work.
Definitely doable to make Hammer Bros. share one texture sheet. I think that's the case with the playable Koopa in Mario Kart Wii; it has Paratroopa wing textures embedded in there if I recall correctly. And you can also make different models use the same sheet. Technically, you can stuff everything in one sheet if you need to, though the sheet has to be in a certain dimension, I think being divisible by 16 (1024 x 1024 pixels or 2048 x 2048 pixels sheets are common, though Wii U Mario models generally fall 1024 or 512, which is very low for today's standards). Doesn't have to be square but it's common to be in a square).

Yeah, the idea came to me when I was thinking about the unused content for Mario Kart Wii, because there's that unused CSS icon, and there's one for the Paratroopa too. I guess he was cut pretty early though, as it looks totally different to the actual icons and the Petey Piranha and Hammer Bro. ones, it's more 3D and takes a completely different angle.

That's because Paratroopa reused the horrendous pre-release Mario Kart: Double Dash ones for some reason (and it's beyond me why they didn't reuse Paratroopa's final ones):

Wigglerbus.jpg

You know, I'm glad this type of CSS didn't make it in the final product. It looks absolutely disgusting. Baby Luigi even looks like he's in pain from all of that extreme foreshortening.

both Koopa and Dry Bones (or one of them) still have a ''wing'' bone in their MKWii model according to Brawlbox.

Nintendo likes to recycle... a looooot.

Baby Mario even retains his infamous texture mapping into Mario Kart Wii.

I mean this one

799px-Baby_Man_Textures.png

Swiftie_Luma said:
both Koopa and Dry Bones (or one of them) still have a ''wing'' bone in their MKWii model according to Brawlbox.

Nintendo likes to recycle... a looooot.

Guess it doesn't harm anyone to just leave that bone in.

Baby Luigi said:
That's because Paratroopa reused the horrendous pre-release Mario Kart: Double Dash ones for some reason (and it's beyond me why they didn't reuse Paratroopa's final ones):
I guessed it was from Double Dash!!, but I couldn't find it after a quick search on the Wiki (Forgot to check pre-release), thank s for filling me in on that. Glad to know that wasn't the first plan for the icons in Mario Kart Wii, Rosalina's face would probably only be barely visible if at all, and I don't want to think about Baby Daisy...

Back