Mario Party: Star Rush

Oh man, part of me hopes that the finished product will be a mess of barely finished assets, poorly implemented ideas, and mismatched placeholders, just so the title of "Star Rush" takes on a completely different meaning.

Swiftie_Luma said:
It's unfair , and causes blisters thanks to Minigames.

What Mario Party game ISN'T unfair? It's not known as the series that destroys friendships for nothing.

For starters, it took them like half the series to realize chance time is a crock of shit and to remove it.

GalacticPetey said:
It's like the Zelda cycle. Everyone hates the current game until the next one comes out, and that one gets hated and the previous game suddenly gets a ton of praise.

I firmly believe that cycle is an illusion created through blindspots in the public's perception. Back when Twilight Princess came out, I thought it was a poorly made game. I still think it has the same problems it did back then and wouldn't call it a good game, but I have made peace with it since then. People move on, that's the whole secret behind it.

The thing is that, while the idea of the obsessed raging nerd incapable of letting go may be entertaining, most people actually are not the lifeless shells the general public wants them to be. A lot of people will actually move on once they're done expressing their disdain for something. A shitty game comes out, and people start screaming about that. As time passes, the shit game loses relevancy, and with that people move on with their lives. That's why the number of complaints seems to go down; People still hold the same opinion about the game, but you don't hear about it because most people don't see the point in screaming about a game that's not even relevant anymore. It's not that the game suddenly got retroactively vindicated, you just perceive a decrease in disdain because less people are talking about it.

As for the "old game gets a lot of praise" part: I think that's a perception thing too. If a sequel to a poorly-made game is also shit, chances are it is shit for different reasons. So you might get a bunch of comments like "Well, at least (previous game) didn't do (shit feature in the sequel)", or "Man, that (shit feature in the sequel) actually made me miss (previous game)". At first glance these statements seem like compliments, and thus the general public will interpret them as such, and note an increase in praise for the previous game.

The thing is though: They actually aren't compliments. I think Super Paper Mario is a pretty bad game, yet I can, in good conscience, say that "Well, at least Super Paper Mario actually tried to have a plot/unique characters, unlike Sticker Star. It gave me something to talk about.", or "Man, the way Bowser was portrayed in PM:SS actually made me miss SPM". None of that means I suddenly love Super Paper Mario, or want more games like it. It just means that SPM, while still having a ton of other problems that ruin the game, did those particular things I mentioned better than PM:SS. I still don't like either game though.

So really, this whole "cycle" boils down to a perception issue. People just lapped up the idea of a zelda cycle because thinking of a whole fandom of people as one giant fickle nerd who can't make up his mind about which games he hates is more entertaining than reality. Don't believe everything you're told.

Chance time is the smallest of your concerns comparing the first game and the sequel.

Mario Party 1 is the most unfair game in the series , aside from 9 and 10 for being linear and almost impossible to ''come back''.

2vs2 and 3vs1 causes the loser to LOSE coins

This never happens in the sequels.

Bowser in this game is probably THE WORST in the entire series , always up to some bull*bleep* that you literally can't avoid if you reach him outside his spaces. Literally can cause a player to LOST a game because he actually takes stars away and it's completely unavoidable.

Boo steals coins FOR FREE.

Chance time in the first game is , from experience , waaaaay more rigged than in other games.

I tested this by playing with hard CPU and everytime they landed on chance time they stealed from the HIGHEST ranked player , and then restart and either they landed EXACTLY in the same space or Stealed again from the exact player , and the exact same thing.

In the sequel , this was beggining to be fixed , until it was finally taken out of the series.

What Mario Party is not ''unfair''?

Kinda like saying what Mario Kart is not unfair , as in each game you can get rekt , period.

But At least many games in the series of Mario Party have provided waaay more ways to either defend yourself or attack back , as opposed to the original game , ONLY TO BE TAKEN OUT since 9.

Chance time literally has options like "exchange all stars and coins", AKA your entire progress during the game, and that is not exclusive to the first game.

People losing coins for losing minigames is not inherently unfair, it's just harsh. You lost the game, you get punished. Seems legitimate to me. Future games decreased the harshness, but that doesn't really make it more fair. Harshness and fairness aren't the same thing.

As for the Boo thing: I fail to see the issue. You're stealing coins, so you're getting back more coins than you spend anyway. What's the big deal about it being free? In fact, the only thing the added cost does is lock poor players (i.e. the ones that need the coins the MOST) out of the feature. I'd say having it be free actually makes it LESS unfair.

What Mario Party is not ''unfair''?

Kinda like saying what Mario Kart is not unfair , as in each game you can get rekt , period.

Yes, Mario Kart is also unfair, but that doesn't really diminish the unfairness of Mario Party, just like the existence of the Empire State Building doesn't make the Washington Monument less tall than the average building.

Maybe the exact quantity of bullshit varies from title to title, but at the end of the day, Mario Party is just not a fair series in its entirety. Which isn't always bad, because it's a party game, not a competitive title.

Doesn't this Zelda cycle also assume that the fanbase is a hivemind as well?

Also, I don't like some of the original Mario Party's stuff. One of the reasons it's more unfair than other installments is mostly due to the lack of a proper item system, something 3 and later on thankfully addressed (and brought some more depth to the gameplay). If you want to win in Mario Party, you have to take advantage of your items, most definitely.

Another thing is the control-stick spinning mini-games and the entire existence of Bash and Cash, later installments which later switched.

As for Fortune Spaces (yes I always call them that), that's one of Mario Party 7's, 8's and DS's greatest strengths, the removal of those damn things. Thankfully, exchanging stars is an extremely rare feat in my playthroughs (as well as giving away two stars from the roulette), but it's main reason Fortune Spaces are the absolute worst space you can land on, even worse than the space you're supposed to be scared of, the Bowser Space. There's something wrong with them when I'd rather land on a Bowser space all times rather than land on a Fortune Space once.

Baby Luigi said:
Doesn't this Zelda cycle also assume that the fanbase is a hivemind as well?

Yeah, that is the incredibly prevalent assumption. A lot of people seem to have such an immensely hard time understanding that fandoms aren't just one amalgamous blob entity instead of a whole lot of individual people with different (and even conflicting) opinions.

Sometimes there are situations where one subsection of a fandom complains about something, and then an entirely different subsection who likes the new thing complains when it gets taken out. And it's always, ALWAYS followed up by someone who can't wrap their head around the concept of groups, who blurts out "Gee, you whined when the thing was put in, and then you whined when it was taken out again. Make up your mind, (fandom)!"

It's a bit like going to an ice cream vendor and telling them you don't like vanilla and prefer chocolate, and the vendor goes "Wow, what? I sold twenty cones of vanilla ice cream to kids your age yesterday, and now you're telling me you don't like vanilla??? Make up your mind, collective children of that age group in this town!"

Anyway, all this talk about chance time suddenly reminded me of BSC's run of Waluigi's Island and how Ryan spent the entire game on the island where all the spaces constantly change (sometimes into chance time spaces). That thing was hilarious. Mario Party is such an entertaining game when you aren't the one playing it.

Oh man, I should watch that again.

It is unfair because :

A) 2vs2 , if 1 person screws up or even worse , the CPU does , then you get punished by no reason because it wasnt you who messed up.

This is most notable in Desert Dash ,Bobsled run and of course BOMBSKETBALL !

B) 3vs1

Bash and Cash it's the most unfair blood bath ever for whoever is inside the Bowser Suit. Ironically , this is not really cooperative , this is a scam , the each of the players literally get lucky if they have 1 bag of coins each , you can still manage to get nothing as one of the 3 players thus losing the minigame.

Bowl Over is clearly rigged for the 1 player to steal coins , the other 3 BARELY have chance to avoid the shell.

Tug o War ... i have no words , it's self explanatory.

Paddle Battle , same as Tug o War.

Pirahnas Persuit is hellish.

And then we have Pipe Maze , which i still don't get how on earth this minigame either exists or why is placed as a 3vs1.

Im not saying they need to baby the player , LIKE IN RECENT MARIO PARTY GAMES ,

YES , for anybody who actually didnt notice , you have ''lives'' in most minigames were you fall off the platforms and etc , which is so dumb.

But dang , the first game is a war zone.

Also , Boo steals for free and you cannot defend yourself , so it's just as luck based as Chance Time.

So yes , it is UNFAIR. And this doesnt happen in later entries.

Swiftie_Luma said:
It is unfair because :

A) 2vs2 , if 1 person screws up or even worse , the CPU does , then you get punished by no reason because it wasnt you who messed up.

B) 3vs1

Bash and Cash it's the most unfair blood bath ever for whoever is inside the Bowser Suit. Ironically , this is not really cooperative , this is a scam , the each of the players literally get lucky if they have 1 bag of coins each , you can still manage to get nothing as one of the 3 players thus losing the minigame.

Bowl Over is clearly rigged for the 1 player to steal coins , the other 3 BARELY have chance to avoid the shell.

And then we have Pipe Maze , which i still don't get how on earth this minigame either exists or why is placed as a 3vs1.

Im not saying they need to baby the player , LIKE IN RECENT MARIO PARTY GAMES ,

YES , for anybody who actually didnt notice , you have ''lives'' in most minigames were you fall off the platforms and etc , which is so dumb.

But dang , the first game is a war zone.

Also , Boo steals for free and you cannot defend yourself , so it's just as luck based as Chance Time.

I agree that 1vs3 minigames in the first Mario Party are the most unfair. But I like that, I think it makes the game fun. It's just coins you can lose after all, unlike Chance Time where you can lose Stars.
You should also add Crane Game to your list, stealing 1/3 of a player's coins is so overpowered, especially if it has 100+ coins.

Swiftie_Luma said:
It is unfair because :

Uhm... welcome to the concept of a team battle? That's kind of how playing in a team works, you know? You are judged by the performance of the whole team. In a soccer match, the losing team doesn't suddenly win because one of their players did really well and didn't deserve to lose. The effort of the whole team decides the outcome.

Losing coins is harsh and the harshness can be chalked up to this being the first game in the series, but it is not as unfair as you're making it out to be.

Yes, 1 had its shit moments, but its not like the other ones didn't have any of those. Stuff comes to mind like getting roped into a battle minigame and having to pay 30 coins while the other players pay 12, 11, and 4 respectively, and then losing that money because you got the game where the giant bowser head blows you up, while the one who paid 4 gets most of it. Purely chance-driven games in general, they're all over the series. There's plenty of shit in the other games if you look hard enough.

Also, there's lots of 3vs1 games that are skewed in either direction. Those games run on asymmetrical balancing, that issue is bound to come up fairly often.

That statement makes no sense whatsoever. First of all: I already explained why stealing coins for free is not an issue, I'm not gonna do it again. Second of all, "defending yourself" does basically nothing. The range of coins still roughly stays the same no matter how fast you mash buttons. The only way to reliably defend yourself is the Gadd Light or whatever it's called, which you are not even guaranteed to get.

And third of all: You're comparing losing a bunch of coins to chance time? "swap all your stars and coins" chance time? The absolute, undisputed destroyer of game progress in the series? Those two things do not even begin to compare, so don't do it.

My point isn't "It's not unfair", my point is "All the games have unfair aspects to them, so singling out one of them is silly and pointless".

One thing I dislike about 2-4 is that hidden blocks on a board would sometimes contain a star. Despite how much I like the orb system in 6 and 7, the fact that you can pick up a Flutter orb or Golden Mushroom, as well as a Pink Boo orb in 7 is stupid. The Cashzap Candy in 8 is so unfair, especially in Team Battles.

One thing 4 does have going for it though is custom minigame packs.

On the topic of Crane Game, not only do you steal 1/3 of the unlucky player's coins, but those coins are actually subtracted from the Minigame Star totals. I'm not sure if Bash 'n' Cash does the same thing, but I think it does. Also, Boo in MP1 doesn't steal as much coins as he does in 2-4 just because stealing coins is for free.

Yes , team battle with somebody i didn't even pick as my partner and losing will have consecuences ... no wonder this is not present in later games. The fact you can't lose coins for minigames like these after the very first game already proves my point here.

Nope , Boo in MP1 Is luck based not only because it's free to steal coins.

He actually steals whatever amount he wants and the other player CANNOT prevent this at all , unlike later entries.

This also means that if somebody wants to steal your stars you have 0 chance to prevent this

Im not saying the later games are not unfair , but they are clearly LESS unfair compared to the original game.

We have items , we have more rules and more ways to either attack or defend ourselves.

If this wasn't an issue then we would still have the exact same crap that happened in Mario Party 1 in other Mario Party games.

Which again , was fixed for the most part.

If you're so scared of luck-based mechanics and the game deciding things / assigning people to you without your control, why are you even playing Mario Party in the first place? There's always a random element to Boo and pretty much everything else. The series runs on that sort of thing.

If you have such a big issue with that, maybe you're playing the wrong series?

Mario Party isn't purely luck-based. If you're a good player and you stretch out the match to 50 turns, the luck-based stuff seem to even out and you'll earn a lead. It's almost like in Mario Kart, where the beginning part is rough-and-tumble, but the best players will get ahead if there is enough time.

I don't see why Mario Party gets singled out for luck-based elements when I believe Mario Kart suffers from pretty much the same thing.

I can detail all of the individual luck-based bullcrap Mario Party is capable of pulling off, well at least the GCN titles as I have the best knowledge of them:

Mario Party 4: All of your dice-increasing blocks are size-alterations as well, meaning if you accidentally roll large while you're big, you'll pass item shops, stars, Boo Houses, and other important locales. You can land on Warp Spaces and while those are usually hilarious, can screw you over. The Swap Card itself uses a spinner, so you can accidentally switch items with the wrong guy. Battle spaces are rampant, (though they're funny) and the guy who landed on the Battle Space chooses the mini-game (thankfully, you can avert the choice of Bowser's Bigger Blast with the mini-game pack). This is the last game to have Boo Houses, and yeah, pretty strong things considering you don't have to spend money on a Boo's Crystal Orb. Luck-based mini-games aren't a huge problem here, all thanks to the custom mini-game pack. Fortune Spaces, although rare, can still press fear into anyone's hearts. Oh and also there's the entire Lottery Shop thing, which entirely operates on luck, as well as the reward for the Last Five Turns event being a star to anyone lucky enough to have a matching ticket. Some boards make you pay a lot, like Bowser's Gnarly Party or Koopa's Seaside Soriree, while Goomba's Greedy Gala has luck-based navigation, especially when you get stuck in one area because of that dice block mini-game with the Goomba which is the only way you can be sent back to the start (or you can be sent back prematurely because you lost it, not fun). Mario Party 4 also has hidden chests, those are always fun, right?

Mario Party 5: You can get screwed over by your own capsules you threw, and especially considering that you can't throw capsules backwards. The Capsule Machine can also give you a Bowser Capsule; capsules and items are hugely important in Mario Party boardplay and this wastes an opportunity to obtain a orb that you might need. Even though the capsules you get are free, they're entirely randomized; you can't pick and choose your own capsules as you could any other item in literally any other Mario Party. There's also one capsule called the Miracle Capsule that, when you collect all three of them, lets you steal all from first place; thankfully, I've never ever seen anyone collect all three of them. Fortunately, you can get rid of Fortune Spaces by throwing any other capsule over them but you have to guess what the Star icon means, but again, the Miracle Capsule isn't that useful anyway as it takes up valuable capsule slots and it's too rare to have a threatening presence. This list may not be as long as Mario Party 4's but the capsule system is pretty screwed up and it's the worst item system out of all Mario Party games with an item system. At least in battle mini-games, everyone gets to vote for a battle mini-game.

Mario Party 6: Quite a few of the board features are dependent on the time of the day, such as in Snowflake Lake where you can get more diceblock rolls if it's night and Chain Chomps aren't guaranteed to steal stars. Clockwork Castle is an especially large offender of having mechanics based on day and night, and if someone catches, say, Bowser, he can teleport to a location near you and catch you and when he catches you, you can run into him again and lose 2 stars in one sitting. The Warp Pipes shuffle a lot, so you have to know their placements to take them or not. Another luck-based thing is in Faire Square, Twila can jack up the prices of the stars to 40 coins or as little as 5; not to mention, that Faire Square has a lot of happening spaces and slot machines based on luck (I especially hate that plant festival one where your coins can get gone because you didn't get the plant with the flower in it). Fortune Spaces are back from hell here. Aside from some board specific features and your stock luck-based mini-games (like those can pop up when you duel someone, that's not fun at all), it pretty much refined Mario Party 5's wretched capsule system, so I say it could be the least luck-based Mario Party out of the GCN ones, maybe competing with Mario Party 4's mini-game set.

Mario Party 7: Bowser Time is the big offender here. All of that is dependent on what the game wants Bowser to do, whether randomly destroying bridges, impeding your progress, taking funny pictures of you, or opening up item shops. Koopa Kid Orbs show up as part of the orb rotations here, akin to wasting your time with Mario Party 5's Bowser Capsules, and their spaces are miserable, especially when they redistribute your coins equally; thankfully, you can override their spaces with your own Orbs. The Duel system is also turning out wretched, with that stupid reward randomizer at the end usually hitting a dud; I won the mini-game I should get a reward. Mario Party 5 and Mario Party 6 has the best dueling systems, what the hell. Thankfully, Mario Party 7 doesn't have much luck-based minigames at all (and nearly zero for duel mini-games, the only close one is Warp Pipe Dreams and perhaps Spin Doctor). Battle mini-games are surprisingly rare here, I don't know why. Neon City is pretty much a joke when it comes to star mechanics, the entire treasure chest thing is a randomized fest, but hey, at least you can buy Lakitu Orbs to help you out. At least this game got rid of Fortune Spaces entirely.

Mario Party 8: The duel system here isn't as wretched but it's not Mario Party 5's and 6's perfected duel system, and we once again get various luck-based mini-games thrown in the mix such as Cardiators or You're the Bob-omb Now or whatever. I hate Goomba's Boardwalk and King Boo's Haunted Hideaway, the former has free stars for a long trek (when Mario Party 7's Pagoda Peak did it, you still had to pay for the star) while the latter is entirely luck-based and a huge time-waster if you went on the wrong route. As someone else said, the Cashzap Candy is broken as hell, but hey, at least you don't steal the coins they lost unlike the Piranha Plant Orb (though to be fair, Piranha Plant Orb requires that you land on it). The Slowgo Candy is basically a less-broken Sluggish 'Shroom at least but the Sluggish 'Shroom is fun to use so eh, have no problems with it. I haven't played this game in a while though so some memories may leave me.

Mario Party DS: 2 Star hexes are absolutely scary and a trap this scary shouldn't be even there in the first place; usually you win only ONE star with duel mini-games or stealing. The duel system is the absolute worst, you can have your opponent have absolutely nothing to lose while you have nothing to gain; other Mario Party games would simply call the duel off if your opponent has nothing to put at stake. Items are even more important than ever, thanks to the ability to buy multiple items in one sitting, and did I mention that it brought back the hidden chests? Kamek's board is Neon City's return so yeah, pretty bleh. The DK board has annoying vine happening spaces that can totally screw you over and put you in a tortuous cycle. Bowser's Pinball Machine's Zero zone where it reduces everything you have to zero, including stars? Yeah let's forget about that. It also has a slot machine too by the way.

I love this series so much, despite all the possibilities turning against you. Whenever I get mad at it, I have to think to myself, no, if I get mad at being unlucky, Mario Party wins. They make anyone mad, they're trolls. Mario's smug face on the box, that's exactly what he wants you to think and act after you lost a luck-based mini-game. I just have to laugh at it. The only times I ragequit is Fortune Spaces, because, well, if you have a huge star lead and you suddenly have to switch stars, it's pretty much irreversible.

(feel free to add any more that I missed)

Mario Party is like a more elaborate version of snakes and latters.

I have to say, Fortune Spaces aren't that bad when the competition is mostly tied. I say that only because I actually benefited TWICE from a Fortune Space (but not overwhelmingly). But again, that's from Clockwork Castle and I still panic when I land in one of those wretched spaces.

Those -2 Star hexes are brutal, but I believe they get destroyed once you land on them, just like any other hex?

Mcmadness said:
Mario Party is like a more elaborate version of snakes and latters.
Nah, there is some degree of skill. My sister and I can regularly wipe the floor with easy computers. I didn't secure such a great lead in Clockwork Castle, though. I even tried giving a 3-star advantage to everyone except for Wario, but Wario still got 3rd and beat Waluigi, thanks to the bonus stars.

though to be fair, at one point, you took control of characters and made them duel wario for whatever

also regarding how the game assigns characters to your team without your control..........

every time we have wario in the same team as us, we intentionally lose the mini-game

but one time, that strategy didn't work in mario party 6, where wario won Rocky Road all in his own

we were pretty baffled.

Oh sure there is some degree of skill, but dozens times more degrees of nonsense that will just screw you over.

Plus easy COMs are morons, as the ''Luigi wins by doing absolutely nothing'' videos will point out.

That's why we always play against them

They're really hilarious in Snowflake Lake, where they would, on the same team, happily waste their team's Snack Orb. Yes Chain Chomps on your team can activate it despite you know, being on the same team.

Striker Mario said:
Mario Party isn't purely luck-based. If you're a good player and you stretch out the match to 50 turns, the luck-based stuff seem to even out and you'll earn a lead. It's almost like in Mario Kart, where the beginning part is rough-and-tumble, but the best players will get ahead if there is enough time.

I don't see why Mario Party gets singled out for luck-based elements when I believe Mario Kart suffers from pretty much the same thing.
Mario Kart has a lot more skill than Mario Party I find, even though you can stilluse strategy in Mario Party. Placing items on specific squares is more luck than strategy, since the dice roll is random. If you don't have skill on the board, you can still win a few times. Minigames are the main skillm areas in Mario Party, however a few of those are either luck based or require little amounts of skill.

In Mario Kart however, skill in racing makes you much more likely to win. If you can't drift, you're probably not going to come first. Sure, it depends on the course and items, but skill plays a more important part.

Smart item usage is also a pretty huge factor in Mario Party. You need all the Mushrooms and board control (via setting traps down) you can get to maintain your lead, hence that's why I put such a huge emphasis on Orbs.

Dice roll is random, but there are some spots where people are more likely to land, so you throw orbs near the start space or right before the path splits. It's kind of like in Monopoly, experienced players go after certain spots because some spots are more likely to be landed on than others.

A51_Trooper said:
In 7, when I play a 50 turn game on Grand Canal, I'll try to cover the entire bottom right corner of the board with Piranha Plant Orbs.
You should cover them near the start. Generally, areas where characters are most likely to land in.

Dr. Alphys said:
If you're so scared of luck-based mechanics and the game deciding things / assigning people to you without your control, why are you even playing Mario Party in the first place? There's always a random element to Boo and pretty much everything else. The series runs on that sort of thing.

If you have such a big issue with that, maybe you're playing the wrong series?

This is simply cringy because i have never said that luck based stuff is enterily bad or anything along the lines.

My point is plain and simple , Mario Party 1 is CLEARLY way more unfair than the subsequent games , which in the long run it is true.

Period.

You are the one with the issue of something so simple such as ''Chance Time'' and etc , which i honestly couldn't care less about considering that , just like in Mario Kart , you can always overcome the luck based aspects of the game with strategy.

That's basically what it is.

No point into playing Tug o War with this argument , this topic is actually about Star Rush , so i don't care anymore.

Oh great. So not only is Swiftie plaguing GameFAQs with her awful comments, but she's plaguing this forum as well. That's just great! >_>

It's nice to see that this game isn't going to use the Spaghettio's box-art. That would've been laughable if that remained unchanged. I like how they made Toadette very noticeable on the cover. I'll admit, that's pretty cool. Nice to see her getting some love in this regard.

Back