Mario versus FanFiction (lotsa images warning)

GBAToad said:
BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
oh hey 2-3

I once had enough of an experience here to write a shroom section about it
was that a fake ad
i think i remember seeing that

yeah

FakeAdFeb1.png

LN1 said:
BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
which raises a question now, you could theoretically beat this chapter without that pixl couldn't you?
the end chapter block is behind some bars that are impassable without the pixl.

oh right

My personal thoughts on this level is that the game knows that what you're doing is complete bullshit. It knows that the task you have at hand is extremely menial. That's why they hid the freaking safe behind a wall later on, so you can easily cheese your way to it. I'm pretty sure they play-tested this level and like "oh man it sucks, but yeah, players are dumb, let's leave it in there anyway", that sort of pretentious they have. If we didn't know any better, I'd swear that the secret stash of rubees is a developer's shortcut, or they realized they ---ed up but were either too lazy or incompetent to redraw the drawing board and decided to add it in because ---- you players. You know, developer shortcuts, the type of things unprofessional leveldesigner noobs would do when designing an incredibly difficult or tedious level, you wouldn't think a professional game designer who made The Thousand-Year Door, one of the best received Mario games of all time, would freaking make.

I also think that what they thought they were doing is considered, ahem, "hilarious". Like, being mean-spirited and time-wasting automatically means that it's funny, and they think calling you a gerbil is funny, hence why they repeat that joke over and over and over, because if that joke isn't funny the first time, maybe saying it a million times will make you laugh.

I dunno, no Mario game has ever had a horrible level design like this, and I don't think anyone who has played Super Paper Mario and deeply loved the game remembers this chapter, because this section isn't worth remembering. I think this existence of this level just increases the contempt I have for Super Paper Mario.

You know, I never actually played SPM, but seeing Edo go through this bullshit is really frustrating (so i can't imagine how terrible it must be for him lol), and it does sound like it's deliberate. Trolling the player, occasionally, can get a laugh out of me. A good exemple of pranking the player though, and I know people hate this part in TTYD, is the General White Quest. The game makes you go look for this one guy across the map without giving you any hints at first, and when you talk to people one of them just tell you of the general location he's in. And when you find him snoring in his house, you try to wake him what at least ten times I think for it to work.

When I succeeded, I just laughed it off. I didn't get mad, because first of all, you can do a one bird two stones thing by doing a bunch of sidequests. And second of all, this was the seventh chapter. Everything before it was amazing. The developpers earned their prank, in my opinion, because they made everything in that game fun. The characters, the setting, the story. So instead of perceiving it as some stranger being a total dick to me for no reason, I saw it more as a friendly prank from someone I loved.

But THIS.

This is getting punched in the nuts while simultaneously having salt being rubbed against your wound that was caused by this game constantly stabbing you in the eyes.

Also, I think the snoring, sleeping joke worked because it's a light-hearted one, at least, sounds like it to me. Here, you're treated like a slave, you're talked down to constantly, and the game just pisses up your throat with its boring level design. And it's only the second chapter of the game.

I'd much rather be playing the General White chase instead of this. For all the backtracking involved, at least you're actually doing something that isn't hitting the same block over and over or holding right.

Plus, I like the environments I am tracking back to because I have some connection to them, since I did stuff there earlier. It's also a good opportunity to check for updated NPC chatter (since there's, you know, actually likable NPCs).

I've never played Super Paper Mario, but after that shithole of a chapter, I think I can say that SPM is worse than Sticker Star. I'd rather have non-existent writing and characters than absolutely awful writing and unlikable piece of shit characters.

Mmh... I don't know if SPM is worse than Sticker Star. They're kind of on the opposite ends of a spectrum, so it's hard to compare them.

I think that SPM has a shitload of problems that drag the game down. Unfortunately, it is also remembered as "that Paper Mario game with the really dark srs bns story". So I fear that when people were like "we don't really like SPM that much", the devs, attempting to fix the problem, chose to ax the story because that was the most noteworthy thing about SPM.

The problem here though was not that SPM had a story, it was that SPM's story was written incompetently, bogged down with pacing issues, unlikable or flat characters, tired stereotypes and overused tropes, and a whole lot of other details.

Basically, instead of taking an earnest look at the flaws they created and making an effort to fix them, they just decided to do the exact opposite of what SPM did (from a game with "too much" story to a game with none). A very common reaction to something undesirable is: "Well, if (x) was bad, then logically the absolute opposite of (x) must be good!" But extremes do not work that way. Honestly, doing the opposite of something can be just as bad as doing the thing itself if you don't understand what you're doing in the first place.

I guess my opinion on the whole thing is: If Sticker Star is the low point of the series, then SPM set up the tripwire on the way down the stairs. Both are bad in their own right.

I remember Super Paper Mario as the game with a flat-like difficulty curve. The only level with remotely challenging platforming is 3-3, the rest are super easy.

MvsFF_2_12_01.png

MvsFF_2_12_02.png

MvsFF_2_12_03.png

MvsFF_2_12_04.png

MvsFF_2_12_05.png

MvsFF_2_12_06.png

MvsFF_2_12_07.png

Oh, those tremors aren't from the macguffin. This is just me trying to suppress my unrelenting rage from the previous level.

Anyway, the good news is that this shit is finally behind us. The bad news is: The rest isn't THAT much better...

MvsFF_2_12_08.png

MvsFF_2_12_09.png

Ah, it's the elusive liability herself, finally. Now spit out what problem you are too pathetic to solve yourself, so I can pick up your slack and be on my way.

MvsFF_2_12_10.png

Well I would have been here sooner if your mansion wasn't a god-forsaken hive of idiocy and tedium.

MvsFF_2_12_11.png

For someone who's in so much supposed distress, you sure seem to have enough peace of mind to come up with those annoying rhymes.

Seriously, check your priorities.

MvsFF_2_12_12.png

Oh wow, oh boy, oh man, oh yay, maze-like rooms I hear you say?

Getting lost sounds like a blast, I hope this maze is super vast, god-forbid I'll save you fast.

MvsFF_2_12_13.png

You're fizzling out, get with the times, telepathy seems prone to glitch. Just get a phone, you stupid witch. And lay off with the fucking rhymes!

For listen here, if time is vital, don't bother with your dumb recital. Just spit out what you have to say! Don't waste my time, or go away!

MvsFF_2_12_14.png

Who else would be quite this annoying? It doesn't matter, let's get going.

"That rhyme was painful, really so."

Well now you know MY pain. Let's go!

MvsFF_2_12_15.png

Don't play dumb, it's sure to say: There's lots of bullshit in the way.

MvsFF_2_12_16.png

What did the dunce say? T'is a maze? Going through will take me days.

Well fuck that shit, I'll skip this bore. Mayoken...

MvsFF_2_12_17.gif

...times sixty-four!

MvsFF_2_12_18.gif

After that 2-3 gaming sin, no lock or wall can hold me in!

MvsFF_2_12_19.png

There she is, what do I win?

Dr. Alphys said:
Mayoken...

MvsFF_2_12_17.gif

...times sixty-four!
I thought you had to build up speed under a gate for 12 hours before you could do that.

Only if you don't do a Mayoken times sixty-four beforehand.

But that's exactly what I was referring to when I said "do that".

Built-up rage from having to play through 2-3 is just as, if not more potent than 12 hours worth of charge-up time.

Besides: Playing through that level sure FEELS like 12 hours alright.

Fair enough. You win this round, Kakario.

MvsFF_2_13_01.png

Please stop pretending you're attractive. You look like a chintzy novelty lamp.

MvsFF_2_13_02.png

Good. Give it here and then get out of my sun.

...wait, we're in a basement. So... get out of my... dust and spiderwebs...

MvsFF_2_13_03.png

Oh for the love of... Not this rubee shit again!

MvsFF_2_13_04.png

Yeah so, considering there's only one character who seems to think rubees are a worthwhile currency, there's really no question who this "Merlee" really is.

Go die in a fire, Mimi.

MvsFF_2_13_05.png

After I had to live though that asinine taradiddle that some no doubt inebriated game designer THOUGHT would pass for an acceptable level, you seriously have the GALL to not only call back to that fuckery, but suggest I do it ALL OVER AGAIN?

Did exploding earlier damage your brain, or are you naturally this much of a fuck-up?

MvsFF_2_13_06.png

Now, like this game has extensively demonstrated in the past, it does not understand that a joke starts to wear thin if you repeat it too much. It's especially bothersome when said joke is not very funny in the first place. So naturally, Mimi will repeat this multiple choice spiel three more times after this.

But you know what? No.

I am done with this chapter's inane attempts at wasting my time! No more working off debts! No more annoying characters! No more empty, endlessly repeating, unfunny dialogue!

No more!

MvsFF_2_13_07.gif

NO MORE!

MvsFF_2_13_08.png

MvsFF_2_13_09.png

"Especially with that shiv through my brain."

MvsFF_2_13_10.png

MvsFF_2_13_11.png

"Must save face... Must save face... They can never know I fucked up!"

MvsFF_2_13_12.png

Yeah, maybe if "master" is synonymous with "incompetent cretin" around here.

...actually, considering that we're in another dimension, it might be? I'll have to ask Tippi later.

MvsFF_2_13_13.png

No, you should have resorted to violence from the beginning. Would have saved me a lot of headaches.

Now shut up and fight me, so I can go home and forget any of this ever happened.

MvsFF_2_13_14.png

Finally.

MvsFF_2_13_15.png

You know, you shouldn't crack your neck like that. It's not good for your joints.

MvsFF_2_13_16.gif

Welcome to Wheel of Fortune!

MvsFF_2_13_17.png

I'd like to buy an... ewww.

MvsFF_2_13_19.png

MvsFF_2_13_20.png

Tippi says it all.

Anyway, I don't care if you're a gross spider or whatever! I'll rip out your spindly legs one by one if I have to!

MvsFF_2_13_21.png

Ah hell! Of course she's invincible. Figures this chapter just won't let me have any gratification.

MvsFF_2_13_22.png

So I guess this is the power that Bleck gave Mimi then? That makes more sense. I thought maybe he turned her into a spider. That'd be weird and kinda messed up.

MvsFF_2_13_23.png

Good idea! We can feed Merlee to her and maybe she'll choke.

MvsFF_2_13_24.png

Oh... Or that.

Though to be honest, I like my idea better. We'll keep your idea in mind as plan B though.

latest

Her rhymes, I've seen few more inept!
A toilet's where they should be kept!

MvsFF_2_14_01.png

Running away from an immortal spider, why not.

Nice gears, blockhead.

MvsFF_2_14_02.gif

Anyway, more maze shit. Getting lost with a spider on your trail, you get the gist.

MvsFF_2_14_03.png

Oh, a bathroom. I've been needing one of those for a while now. About time, really!

MvsFF_2_14_04.png

Time to inspect the plumbing!

MvsFF_2_14_05.png

Yep! Everything in order.

MvsFF_2_14_06.png

What the! Mimi! You can't come in here! This is not your bathroom!

Were you raised in a fucking barn or something?? Get the hell out of here this instant!

MvsFF_2_14_07.png

Fine, since you obviously have no manners, let's see how you like it if I go in YOUR bathroom!

MvsFF_2_14_08.png

Unbelievable! The nerve of kids these days!

MvsFF_2_14_09.png

Huh?

MvsFF_2_14_10.png

Yeah, sure. Good place for you, Merlee. Suits you very well.

Just watch out I don't "accidentally" flush.

MvsFF_2_14_11.png

Don't flatter yourself. "Sun" is a bit too much for you. "Wet match" suits you much better.

MvsFF_2_14_12.png

Yes, Tippi. Even Ancients have to take a shit every once in a while. Most of them opt to do it verbally, though.

MvsFF_2_14_13.png

Well yes, if you smash a novelty lamp and a brick together, the brick's gonna win. No surprise there.

MvsFF_2_14_14.png

You hid the macguffin in the shitter?

...I'm not sure I really want it anymore then.

MvsFF_2_14_15.png

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make poorly-written characters more interesting.

MvsFF_2_14_16.png

Me neither, I just don't want to join up with Merlee.

MvsFF_2_14_17.png

Nor do I want anything to do with you, for that matter!

It's time to swat a spider!

Waiiiiit if Mimi is impervious, why can't she just use her spider form as soon as Mario let his guard down fooling for the maid trick? It would help protect the Pure Heart from ever going into Mario's hands, and Mario wouldn't have a chance of meeting Merlee to help him.

Yeah I know she said that she wanted to "settle it peacefully", but one, pretty sure that's a mocking and two, she's a fucking crony working under some guy who wants to obliterate the dimensions. All semblance of civility and peace were thrown out the window with this master plan. She's not doing a good job helping her master achieve his plan, isn't she?

MvsFF_2_15_01.png

But anyway, after all this tedious work, we finally get to face off against Mimi!

MvsFF_2_15_02.png

MvsFF_2_15_03.png

Psych! Ha ha ha, you thought the bullshit was over, didn't you? Well, if you did, you weren't paying attention, because when did this chapter ever get straight to the point?

MvsFF_2_15_04.png

We obviously didn't have the obligatory "who is the fake" stand-off that ensues every time a doppelgänger is out and about.

MvsFF_2_15_05.png

You know, I don't particular care for either of you two shitheads. I could just cut down both of you and solve the problem that way.

MvsFF_2_15_06.png

Also, remember how Mimi said she wasn't going to fool around anymore, and that she's going straight for just killing us this time? In light of that, you have to wonder what the hell the point of this shit is.

She's an invincible spider right now. Why bother with this?

The answer is that the writers cooked up another "hilarious" dialogue, and we're going to watch and like it, dangnabbit!

MvsFF_2_15_07.png

"Faker? I think YOU'RE the fake piece of furniture around here! You're comparing yourself to me? Ha! You're not even good enough to be m""I'll make you eat those words!"

MvsFF_2_15_08.png

Here we have more of the game's quality writing. I am glad that the developers decided lines like these should be part of my day today. It makes me feel so respected.

MvsFF_2_15_09.png

Here's the thing: Scenes like these can work. Having two character bicker at each other like an old couple is usually annoying, but you can pull it off if the characters doing the bickering are funny and/or interesting, and the writing is good.

Neither of those things are given here, so the scene just comes of as... cringe-worthy.

MvsFF_2_15_10.png

I mean, I really don't give a toot about Merlee, and Mimi has done her utmost to make me despise her, so subjecting me to more dialogue between these two is just cruel.

MvsFF_2_15_11.png

Anyway, suddenly this is a game show.

MvsFF_2_15_12.png

We're kind of occupying a public bathroom by having this event, which strikes me as somewhat unnecessary and inhumane. I just hope nobody's going to be in desperate need of the facilities while this is going on.

MvsFF_2_15_13.png

In any case: The goal of this game is to find out who is the real Merlee by asking questions.

MvsFF_2_15_14.png

That "disastrous results" line is my cue.

Remember how, in Paper Mario, Peach did that quiz where she won the Sneaky Parasol? If you did well in that quiz, you got a Jammin' Jelly as a reward.

Remember how, in The Thousand-Year Door, if you screwed up the two Thwomp quizzes, you'd be punished by having to fight an optional battle?

Do you know what you get if you pick the correct Merlee here?

Absolutely nothing!

Do you know what happens if you pick the wrong one?

Absolutely fucking nothing!

This entire show HAS NO PURPOSE WHATSOEVER!

MvsFF_2_15_15.png

MvsFF_2_15_16.png

You can find a list of all questions and the answers the contestants give here. I'm not going to put up with this crap anymore, so my first and only question is: Can I skip all these fucking questions?

"Are you sure? I mean, don't you need to--"

No, I got this.

"Well... ok."

MvsFF_2_15_17.png

The suspense is killing me.

...well, the lack of it.

MvsFF_2_15_18.png

Anyway, fuck the questions. The way you really identify Merlee is by watching which one is circled by a fly.

Because you see, the real Merlee smells like shit... and she's been inside a toilet for a while too.

MvsFF_2_15_19.png

Anyway, I've made my choice.

"Are you sure it's--"

Yes, I am confident it is the correct one!

MvsFF_2_15_20.png

MvsFF_2_15_21.png

Ah, rats! I thought I had it!

MvsFF_2_15_22.png

Thinking that I am "fate's tool" is the reason why I don't take too kindly to you and your Ancients ilk, so yes: You are a fool!

MvsFF_2_15_23.png

Now piss off, I'm gonna bust me a brick!

MvsFF_2_15_24.png

Next time, stay in your spider form so I don't have to sit through your transformation animation twice!

Back