Mario versus FanFiction (lotsa images warning)

Lin Beifong

Iron Chief
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
This is gonna be a disaster.

Since Mario is our main character and silent protagonist of this playthrough, most of it will be narrated from his perspective, the sole exception being the first entry, which is from Peach's. The text outside the screencaps illustrates his internal monologues, mumblings under his breath, and snide comments at other characters. This extends to scenes where he is not actually present... somehow. It's best not to think about it.

I am characterizing Mario as a video game veteran, and thus his comments will occasionally be meta and discuss game tropes and such. He is also easily irritable and does not take kindly to being annoyed on purpose or having his time wasted.

Mario's narration will be plain text, with no quotation marks

"Princess Peach talks in pink"

"Bowser talks in orange"

"Luigi talks in green"

"Quotation marks and plain text means any other character is talking"

MvsFF_0_1_01.png

Right-on. This means you'll have to read this thread sideways too, so rotate your monitors, folks.

MvsFF_0_1_04.png

"It was mysterious mainly because nobody could read the dang stories. How do you read a book that's just a bunch of lines? Nobody knows."

MvsFF_0_1_05.png

"But when they got their hands on the book, they found you could see through it because it was empty. People couldn't tell if that was because their futures were empty, or they just got ripped off."

MvsFF_0_1_06.png

MvsFF_0_1_07.png

Ohhhh... so it's one of Hermaeus Mora's books then? That's neat, I could use a few more perks.

MvsFF_0_1_08.png

Because that always works so well in video games.

800px-MvsFF_0_1_09.png

Evil book --> Love? Makes sense.

MvsFF_0_1_11.png

Oh my god, I didn't know they meant "love" that literally. Abort mission! Abort!

MvsFF_0_1_12.png

Oh wait, false alarm. I'm just the Princess and I was practicing the alphabet. Vowels always give me trouble.

MvsFF_0_1_14.png

Eyelids... so heavy.

MvsFF_0_1_15.png

Eh? Who is this dumbass here?

MvsFF_0_1_16.png

And why is THIS dumbass here???

MvsFF_0_1_17.png

And why am I wearing a wedding dress????? Did you fucks seriously change my clothes while I was unconscious?!? Are you for real?!? And here I thought TEC wanting me to take my clothes off every five seconds was creepy.

MvsFF_0_1_18.png

What is even going on here? I heard of in medias res, but this is kind of a bit TOO weird to dump on someone all at once.

MvsFF_0_1_19.png

"You're not wearing any pants, dude!"

MvsFF_0_1_20.png

"I know, and it's AWESOME!"

MvsFF_0_1_21.png

"Like, you literally do because you're the king, but also we're celebrating for you!"

MvsFF_0_1_23.png

Ok, dope. Preparations for what, though?

MvsFF_0_1_24.png

Is that the title of this story? "Then It Shall Be Begun", by Count Bleck? I thought it was called Super Paper Mario, but maybe I missed a memo.

MvsFF_0_1_25.png

MvsFF_0_1_26.png

Wait, back up.

MvsFF_0_1_27.png

No really, hold on for a sec'.

MvsFF_0_1_28.png

MvsFF_0_1_29.png

Ok, I think I've had enough of this nonsense!

MvsFF_0_1_30.png

MvsFF_0_1_31.png

Oh my god, he's a shipper! Now it all makes sense, I got sucked into someone's weird fanfic.

MvsFF_0_1_32.png

"Because that's my OTP, you silly Princess!"

MvsFF_0_1_33.png

I smell a sitcom. I guess Toadsworth can be the cranky old man who lives in our basement.

MvsFF_0_1_34.png

"Oh no she didn't!"

KABOOM!

MvsFF_0_1_35.png

MvsFF_0_1_36.png

"Also, I'm not sure you have any right to insult someone elses fashion sense, Ms. Pastel-Pink."

MvsFF_0_1_37.png

MvsFF_0_1_38.png

Must... resist... being... shipped...

MvsFF_0_1_39.png

Super-hypnosis? What, was the regular kind too vanilla for you?

MvsFF_0_1_40.png

There are those pesky vowels again.

MvsFF_0_1_41.png

I think I resisted a bit too hard there. Those words came out red.

MvsFF_0_1_42.png

MvsFF_0_1_43.png

"Ahem, excuse me!"

MvsFF_0_1_44.png

"I have you know that the bond of matrimony is a legally binding contract. And by law it is dictated that, by making someone agree to the terms of a contract by force, the agreement is not binding, and said contract becomes null and void!

So really, your plan is stupid, this wedding is invalid, and you wasted everyone's time, including your own."

MvsFF_0_1_45.png

MvsFF_0_1_46.png

MvsFF_0_1_47.png

MvsFF_0_1_48.png

MvsFF_0_1_49.png

MvsFF_0_2_01.png

MvsFF_0_2_02.png

MvsFF_0_2_03.png

Meanwhile, in another sitcom.

MvsFF_0_2_04.png

"By the way Mario, why do we keep our toothbrushes in the living room?"

It's because we have no bathroom, Luigi.

"Oh..."

MvsFF_0_2_05.png

And here I thought this peace is what all true plumbers strive for.

MvsFF_0_2_06.png

KERBLOOEY!

"Oh damn, I should have kept my mouth shut!"

MvsFF_0_2_07.png

We never know if it's always the same guy or a different one each time. We just call all of them "Toad" cause we can't keep the buggers apart.

MvsFF_0_2_08.png

Did you inhale your own spores again?

MvsFF_0_2_09.png

The sad thing is that this is the third time this week, and it's only Tuesday.

MvsFF_0_2_10.png

They call Luigi the more articulate of us two. Sometimes I wonder why.

MvsFF_0_2_11.png

MvsFF_0_2_12.png

MvsFF_0_2_13.png

MvsFF_0_2_14.png

MvsFF_0_2_15.png

Omitted from the game: The trek through the eight different worlds to get to Bowser's castle.

MvsFF_0_2_16.png

MvsFF_0_2_17.png

"...

Welp, time to loot the place!"

Chiaki Nanami said:
I like the part where Mario slaps Luigi because that totally happens in the game.
I like the part where a Toad says "ass" in what's presumably a church-like place so that the wedding can seem more valid.
Dr. Alphys said:
"It's because we have no bathroom, Luigi."
I was reading in vaguely Martinet-esque voices until this line, which I heard as Vinny's Captain Lou/Walker Boone impression and that just made it so much more hilarious. Also it's funny when you think about what this says about their skill as plumbers.

Lastly, I'm not sure how relevant or welcome this comment is (and I'm sorry if it fits neither criteria), but I recall Walkazo's userpage saying this was one of her four favorite Mario games.

MvsFF_0_3_01.png

Meanwhile, back in Kansas.

MvsFF_0_3_02.png

"Yes, especially the Goombas over there!"

MvsFF_0_3_03.png

"...Again!"

MvsFF_0_3_04.png

"...Maybe!"

MvsFF_0_3_05.png

"...But probably not!"

By the way, have you noticed Bowser likes saying awesome a lot? Like, not counting the part where I put words in his mouth, he's said it three times by now, and this is still just the intro.

MvsFF_0_3_06.png

"Don't mind me and my shaggy eyebrows though. This is thoughtful neglect."

MvsFF_0_3_07.png

Wait, Bowser remembered Luigi's name. Huh. Weird.

MvsFF_0_3_08.png

Oh, same way as usual. Went through some jumping challenges, hospitalized your kids, you know.

"Wait, they aren't my kids anymore."

Oh... Wow... And here I thought I was the cruel one.

MvsFF_0_3_09.png

Yeah, didn't even have to take Star Road for the back door this time.

MvsFF_0_3_10.png

Little does he know he left it open himself when he went to go get milk.

MvsFF_0_3_11.png

Uhm... Luigi?

MvsFF_0_3_12.png

Yeah, now I KNOW this is fanfiction! Luigi is not that bold or brave.

Did you write this, Luigi?

MvsFF_0_3_13.png

"Actually, since you're already here, we can just hurry this up and skip to the part where you beat my sorry ass like you pretty much always do. Come to think of it, let me bend over so it won't take that lo--"

MvsFF_0_3_14.png

Ah goddamnit, there goes all hope of this being a one-evening-done-deal!

MvsFF_0_3_15.png

"Blorghphbbbllll!!! It's on my face!!! Get it off! Get it off!!!"

MvsFF_0_3_16.png

Uhm... Gesundheit?

Also, I guess Luigi fell asleep. Probably practicing for his role in Dream Team.

MvsFF_0_3_17.png

Wait, by who?

MvsFF_0_3_18.png

Yeah, pretty much.

Don't worry, Bowser. I think this is just some fruitcake who likes to write himself into stories as the ultimate villain or something.

MvsFF_0_3_19.png

I like how everyone's looking at this guy like "Ughh... *sigh*".

MvsFF_0_3_20.png

Writing your name in red's not gonna make it sound any more intimidating, pal.

MvsFF_0_3_21.png

Look out guys, he's also the chosen one.

MvsFF_0_3_22.png

Ok, you love saying your own name. I think we get it.

MvsFF_0_3_23.png

See, even Bowser's already sick of this guy's shit.

If BOWSER catches on to your shenanigans, you KNOW you're not subtle.

MvsFF_0_3_24.png

"Like, Wheel of Fortune starts in half an hour and we usually watch that together! We like to guess the words and I always beat her because she messes up the vowels!"

"I do nut!"

"Shush, dear."

MvsFF_0_3_25.png

"The prophecies that I am the chosen one of, and also I have all the powers of Superman and I piss lightning."

MvsFF_0_3_26.png

Stop talking in fanfic titles, man!

MvsFF_0_3_27.png

"Count Bleck will not stop! Die, hater!"

MvsFF_0_3_28.png

Blorghphbbbllll!!! It's on my face!!! Get it off! Get it off!!!

MvsFF_0_3_29.png

This is the part where the crappy self-insert villain beats the main character effortlessly and without any struggle whatsoever. Seems legit.

MvsFF_0_3_30.png

Not so sure about who deserves it, honestly.

MvsFF_0_3_31.png

I swear, if I wasn't passed out on the floor...

MvsFF_0_3_32.png

Wait, what? You can't do that! That's against the rules! Hey! Heyyy!!!!

MvsFF_0_3_33.png

"Go Go Gadget Vacuum Cape!"

MvsFF_0_3_34.png

"This suuuuuuucks!"

MvsFF_0_3_35.png

"No, really, it does!"

MvsFF_0_3_36.png

"Burp!"

MvsFF_0_3_37.png

MvsFF_0_3_38.png

Dude, word of advice: You really shouldn't base your whole existence around something written in some dusty tome. Live your own life, y'know? Make friends, have some fun, play nice. Be a good guy.

MvsFF_0_3_39.png

And so Mario's day ends like it usually does: Passed out, totally wasted, face-down on the floor in someone elses house.

can confirm, i live, like, right next to a lava pool and a castle. the residents sometimes shoot cannonballs out of it so thankfully they haven't aimed at us yet.

also, good thread

Dr. Alphys said:
MvsFF_0_3_39.png

And so Mario's day ends like it usually does: Passed out, totally wasted, face-down on the floor in someone elses house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPxJAx7ysVA

Well-Balanced Breakfast said:
can confirm, i live, like, right next to a lava pool and a castle. the residents sometimes shoot cannonballs out of it so thankfully they haven't aimed at us yet.
Do you bribe them or something to prevent them from firing cannonballs at you? I feel like this is important in understanding the Deeper Lore™ of this Fan Fiction.

Chiaki Nanami said:
Well-Balanced Breakfast said:
Do you bribe them or something to prevent them from firing cannonballs at you? I feel like this is important in understanding the Deeper Lore™ of this Fan Fiction.
i make sure the dog doesn't shit in their yard. not like that's a very hard thing to do since it's mostly just lava and the dog is smart enough to know that lava = hurt.

Chiaki Nanami said:
Deeper Lore™

You have no idea just how deep this lore really is, man. You'd need to go like, two pits of 100 trials deep just to be anywhere near deep enough to how deep this lore is.

LN1 said:
This makes up for no train wreck continuation.

Very sorry about that. Shortly after the break I got hospitalized and a bunch of shit happened, so I guess I forgot about it.

I tried to start it back up some time last year, but it's been unreasonably troublesome just getting and editing the screenshots, so I just kind of gave up.

Dr. Alphys said:
LN1 said:
This makes up for no train wreck continuation.

Very sorry about that. Shortly after the break I got hospitalized and a bunch of shit happened, so I guess I forgot about it.

I tried to start it back up some time last year, but it's been unreasonably troublesome just getting and editing the screenshots, so I just kind of gave up.
Damn, that sucks. Sorry.

SiFi said:
I was reading in vaguely Martinet-esque voices until this line, which I heard as Vinny's Captain Lou/Walker Boone impression and that just made it so much more hilarious.

okay cool so i wasn't the only one

Back