“Daisy is just a Peach clone!” The Ultimate Response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Alphys said:
The thing is: If we label Daisy as a clone because she is mechanically identical to various instances of Peach, we also have to label Wart as a clone because he is mechanically identical to Bowser. So yeah, Wart is pretty much in the same boat as Daisy.

If I had to choose between one of the two getting more fleshed out, I'd proooobably go with Daisy because the ruler of crazy-ass Sarasaland with its fly monsters and pogoing zombies seems like a more interesting concept than another megalomaniacal monarch whose iconic minions have been mostly incorporated into the Mario world by this point anyway.

But that's only IF they go with the Sarasaland angle and make her thematically fit the place she's ruling. If they stick to the "ooh, she's not like Peach because she's a tomboy" thing and only that thing, they can keep her.

So.... a bit more of an oddball?

Daisy and Peach are so different in terms of personality I couldn't see how people think they're clones other than appearance

Sonja said:
Daisy and Peach are so different in terms of personality I couldn't see how people think they're clones other than appearance

They're not really that different, to be honest. Daisy gets the one-note label of "tomboy", but Peach's personality is very malleable and she has been, on occasion, portrayed with somewhat of a tomboy streak as well. It doesn't really happen in the main series that much because everyone there usually has the personality of a worn-out shoe, but it happened in comics and such, and there's some moments in TTYD where she drops the prim and proper princess act a little and calls people jerks and threatens to spit on them.

Like really, Peach can pull off that tomboy/wild side thing if the writers let her. It's not really a thing unique to Daisy, and it has always been kind of an informed attribute with her anyway.

Baby Luigi said:
the only real hateful and stupid people are people who claim that baby luigi is a baby mario clone

ok, some clones can be enhanced versions of the original but my point still stands

is that a serious comment and did you not read edo's post like right above yours or..?

where's the hate in that beyond you just dropping the insult of "stupid" onto honestly such a tiny thing

It's not a serious comment.

I think.

i did "like" the post edo posted, so that should probably imply that i agree with him and that my post is a parody of swiftie's

LOL as if that's a detail I'm expected to notice lol, people Like things for all kinds of reasons, what the fuck a simple "yeah it was a joke" would suffice

Whoever says Dr. Mario is just a clone of Mario is racist against doctors. :mad:

They're as different as night and day! One's a doctor, one's not! Do I need to draw you a picture?

Anton said:
LOL as if that's a detail I'm expected to notice lol, people Like things for all kinds of reasons, what the *bleep* a simple "yeah it was a joke" would suffice

dude, just calm down. pretty sure others like edo read and understood the true meaning of my post otherwise they would have called me out earlier than this.

I am calm though so __, the reason I read your post negatively was because you employed tactical use of italics and snide. This is getting way too off-topic for a poorly executed joke anyways so even more ____________.

I really don't think Daisy is a Peach clone, but as a lot of people said in this thread, could designers at least go a little farther into making them look actually different from each other? Give Daisy a big, round nose, give her a different body build, give her different eyes, don't give her the princess trait, and actually give her a role in the games. Most of the time, it's really subtle the differences and I don't blame people unfamiliar with the Mario series to confuse between the two. They're just way too.. similar.

This also applies to Rosalina.

I've realised now that Nintendo has a chronic disorder of making "clony" type characters

i mean cloney

or is it clooney

urgh, Nintendo has a chronic disorder of making characters that are sort of clones of existing characters (in that they share too many traits with already existing characters). The least they could have done is change up Daisy and Wart's appearances to make them different from their respective parallels

one of our most beloved plumbers has started out as a clone of an original character. Thankfully they developed his personality and appearance well, Daisy is just...ugh, I can't explain it. She's just unnecessary in my opinion. If Wart had been a different kind of character instead of the token Bowser clone, then maybe his character would have actually gone somewhere. If Daisy had a completely differing development direction, maybe she wouldn't be the tomboy version of Peach.

Either way, I don't think it's too late for either of them. Nintendo can always change up characteristics, occupations, what have you, to make them less similar.

Poochy walks through lava or something idk

anyway I think the reason Nintendo creates clonish characters is that A. it costs less development time to create derivatives rather than design a character from scratch and B. Nintendo doesn't focus much on developing character personalities so that they don't have distinguishable traits outside of their appearance which is the only thing we can go by.

in edo's post, I've noticed his points about Peach sharing some traits from Daisy, which her traits come from the fact that Nintendo and other media got the opportunity to develop her. Daisy isn't as fortunate as Peach. I'm sure if characters like Daisy, Waluigi, and Toadette had better character development less people would complain how they fill up roster slots. Toadette got the chance to be a starring character in Captain Toad:Treasure Tracker and that was great; now if only the same could happen to the rest of the spin-off characters, we may get something interesting again. Luigi evolved from a simple clone of Mario, so I don't see why Daisy and Waluigi can't.

JonTron said:
one of our most beloved plumbers has started out as a clone of an original character.
Luigi has the twin brother excuse to fall on. Nintendo never really specified exactly what kind of twin Mario and Luigi are (even identical twins can look variable, but on the flipside, some fraternal twins look similar). Sure, the "identical twin" is often an excuse for lazy character design, but I'm glad to say that Mario & Luigi are good examples of twins (in terms of design), and nobody really set out to establish twin brothers at the beginning, at least not until Yoshi's Island.

I really wish Daisy had that "she's the ruler of some lawless land with all of these crazy enemies" but Super Mario Land in general seems to be forgotten. I think there should be an alternate reality series where Wario is the villain and Luigi (with Mario, Toad, and Yoshi as side-kicks) team up with Daisy to defeat some of the strangest things Wario throws at them.

I honestly think Mario and Luigi are one of video game's best depiction of twins. It's a bit of a shame that we don't get much representation in video games, and when we do, it's just groaning stereotypes like how they dress exactly alike, have the exact same personality, have the exact same character design or finish each other's sentences. Looking at you, Timmy and Tommy from Animal Crossing. Is there any other twin depictions in video games that could possibly be better than Mario and Luigi? Not too knowledgeable of that outside of Nintendo.

Super Mario Land in general just needs more love and references. It's a bit of a shame how so many elements got left behind in favor of the more mainstream Mario series. I'd definitely love for a new 3D Mario game that is heavily inspired by the Super Mario Land series. Fighting a 3D Sphinx thing or avoiding 3D Pionpis would be pretty cool.

Baby Luigi said:
I honestly think Mario and Luigi are one of video game's best depiction of twins. It's a bit of a shame that we don't get much representation in video games, and when we do, it's just groaning stereotypes like how they dress exactly alike, have the exact same personality, have the exact same character design or finish each other's sentences. Looking at you, Timmy and Tommy from Animal Crossing. Is there any other twin depictions in video games that could possibly be better than Mario and Luigi? Not too knowledgeable of that outside of Nintendo.

Super Mario Land in general just needs more love and references. It's a bit of a shame how so many elements got left behind in favor of the more mainstream Mario series. I'd definitely love for a new 3D Mario game that is heavily inspired by the Super Mario Land series. Fighting a 3D Sphinx thing or avoiding 3D Pionpis would be pretty cool.

How about getting into some dogfights in the Sky Pop?

@Striker Mario: I'm game for it. But Daisy shouldn't be kidnapped just for Luigi to save her. It would only enforce the clone argument.

TheFarmboy said:
How about getting into some dogfights in the Sky Pop?

@Striker Mario: I'm game for it. But Daisy shouldn't be kidnapped just for Luigi to save her. It would only enforce the clone argument.
Of course, I didn't mention any sort of kidnapping for that reason. They team up, not rescue.

I seriously question Nintendo on how they dont include Daisy and Waluigi in bigger games

Is it because they are not Miyamoto characters? That would be a bullshit reason tbh

In the end , their inclusion would cause considerable amount of people to rejoice

I mean , everybody when nuts when these 2 finally got an amiibo , and even Waluigi's amiibo became best seller almost instantly after pre orders in amazon.

I dont like the mentality of trapping the same characters in a box called ''The Main games'' over and over again , doing the same things over and over again

i've always dreamed of a mario platformer where you can play as a wide variety of characters, and they all play the same so we don't have issues of balance.

some people can say "so what they're just skins", but really, why the hell not? it offers players a way to personalize their game by going through worlds as their favorite characters which enhances the gaming experience.

it's a bit disappointing how nintendo resorted to two toads when filling up the last two player slots in the console new super mario bros. games rather than using other characters, or hell, having other characters unlockable and playable. nintendo can do better than that. nintendo IS better than that. 3D World did an amazing job at this, and i'd like for them to expand further on that.

Baby Luigi said:
i've always dreamed of a mario platformer where you can play as a wide variety of characters, and they all play the same so we don't have issues of balance.

some people can say "so what they're just skins", but really, why the hell not? it offers players a way to personalize their game by going through worlds as their favorite characters which enhances the gaming experience.

it's a bit disappointing how nintendo resorted to two toads when filling up the last two player slots in the console new super mario bros. games rather than using other characters, or hell, having other characters unlockable and playable. nintendo can do better than that. nintendo IS better than that. 3D World did an amazing job at this, and i'd like for them to expand further on that.

well to be honest thats what sonic advance 1 is as well as sonic 3&k, i mean yeah they're different but not too different. Those are pretty damn good games too and id like to see more playable characters in mario platformers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back