“Daisy is just a Peach clone!” The Ultimate Response

Status
Not open for further replies.
but wiki uhad actually was originally named "foreverdaisy09" or something like that, so that other forum account is probably theirs

i guess they could have lost their forum account and been forced to start a new one

I think the Mario RPGs are a good place to start to develop Daisy's character. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door for example, did something a little more with Toadette outside of being a Toad with a sex change; Toadette also is a playable character in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and also plays a distinct role in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. So yes, it is possible for characters to emerge from being roster fodder, but Nintendo is somehow very reluctant to use Daisy and Waluigi outside of Mario Kart for whatever reason. Same deal with AlphaDream and Intelligent Systems. The most we got out of them is their appearance in Fortune Street where they had their own unique dialogue and interactions with other characters, but that's really about it.

Pretty much. I mean, if there's ever going to be a game like TTYD again, just make one of the chapters take place in Sarasaland and you've got a pretty good opportunity to make something out of Daisy.

Dr. Alphys said:
Nico Yazawa said:
i mean, mario and luigi started out being the same thing but just a palette swap, and today nobody thinks theyre clones either, so it should hold true for daisy if we can make the distinction between mario & luigi.

I feel there's a difference between the cases Peach vs. Daisy and Mario vs. Luigi. Luigi has had several chances to distinguish himself from his brother, the earliest instance being in the original Super Mario Bros. 2, where he controlled differently. He has developed a persona that is entirely different from Mario's, with his own personality, his own enemies (ghosts), and his own abilities. Luigi has come so far, he can nowadays even star in his own games without it seeming weird. He has earned that distinction.

Daisy on the other hand is still struggling establishing anything like that. She's appeared in one platformer in which she was functionally identical to Peach, and in all subsequent spin-off games she has appeared in, Peach is also playable. Wherever Daisy appears, Peach is with her in some form, in role or in person. Daisy has not yet escaped Peach's shadow and is thus unable to truly stand on her own, like Luigi does. And if Nintendo continues the direction they're going with her, she likely never will.

The sad thing is that Daisy actually does have potential as a character. She is the Princess of Sarasaland, a kingdom that is an amalgamation of egyptian/easter island/chinese mythology and just plain weirdness. Yet the character does not reflect that. If they want to free Daisy from the Peach recolor trap, they should stop resting on the excuse of "If we say Daisy is a tomboy, that'll make her different enough from Peach whatevs lol". Being a tomboy is a one-note characteristic. Give her something beside that. Make her embrace her heritage and better reflect the qualities of her kingdom.

That's just my two cents though.
that is true, luigi does appear in much more (including main titles) than just spinoffs. didnt really think about it like that lol

you bring up some interesting points about her being in peach's shadow too. luigi did star in his own game and i think thats what broke free of the two being identical so yea i guess you cant really say the same about daisy

and yea id totally play something more related to sarasaland, everythings just been about the mushroom kingdom for awhile so exploring further into a new realm where we only got to see a glimpse of in one game. something like spp but instead of vibe island(i think its a region in the mushroom kingdom?)/peach its sarasaland region/daisy

2257 said:
but wiki uhad actually was originally named "foreverdaisy09" or something like that, so that other forum account is probably theirs

i guess they could have lost their forum account and been forced to start a new one
yea its kind weird lol but im p sure theyre different
from op:
UhHuhAlirghtDaisy said:
I hope to participate more in the forum than just this, nice to meet you!

The problem is that we had been away from Mushroom Kingdom in the most recent Mario platformer title. Super Mario 3D World took place in Sprixie Kingdom. The deal was, the Sprixie Kingdom was thematically and functionally identical to the Mushroom Kingdom, so we have literally no reason to believe that it was a totally different location than Mushroom Kingdom. So it makes me wonder why even bother calling it a different location when it looks identical to the main setting of most games.

Dr. Alphys said:
Pretty much. I mean, if there's ever going to be a game like TTYD again, just make one of the chapters take place in Sarasaland and you've got a pretty good opportunity to make something out of Daisy.
Even a game in the same vein as Luigi's Mansion would work. Fun fact: Mario was originally planned to be the protagonist, but the game became based around a haunted mansion and the designers thought that the cowardly Luigi would be a better fit than the heroic Mario. So, I think the best we could hope for is something similar: a game starts to be created with Peach in the leading role, but early on she gets swapped for Daisy.

Re: "Daisy is just a Peach clone!" The Ultimate Response

Baby Luigi said:
The problem is that we had been away from Mushroom Kingdom in the most recent Mario platformer title. Super Mario 3D World took place in Sprixie Kingdom. The deal was, the Sprixie Kingdom was thematically and functionally identical to the Mushroom Kingdom, so we have literally no reason to believe that it was a totally different location than Mushroom Kingdom. So it makes me wonder why even bother calling it a different location when it looks identical to the main setting of most games.
while thats true, sml had a pretty distinctive style so theoretically if they kept the same premise they could make something completely different.
its a really long stretch because, as you said, we see the sprixie kingdom being pretty much the same thing so you cant really just slap a new place in the mario world and expect not to see some or all similarities (whether enemies, items, structures, etc.) to ones that we've seen so far. it is pretty sad though because i think itd be interesting if they had some more fresh ideas instead of implementing the same style as the previous games. of course im not saying put mario in something like a kirby universe, but maybe new distinct settings (instead of your typical grass, water, desert etc. worlds) like space, a graveyard or maybe a more urban area like a city

Okay guys, I know we all have doubts of :daisy:'s importance. But I know the truth. Get ready............... :mario: gets :daisy:, and :luigi: gets :peach:. HOW'S THAT!?
Really changes the view on the series, doesn't it

EagarSuperMario101 said:
Okay guys, I know we all have doubts of :daisy:'s importance. But I know the truth. Get ready............... :mario: gets :daisy:, and :luigi: gets :peach:. HOW'S THAT!?
Really changes the view on the series, doesn't it

XWOuu8G.gif

2257 said:
as for those japanese texts, i dont really think 宇宙怪人のタタンガ is a particularly notable phrasing. i would translate it as "tatanga the mysterious spaceman" and i'm fairly certain he's been called that since his first appearance
Ok, in the wiki it was written 宇宙怪人タタンガ, here a の was present, and I thought it was something like "of", so I thought that it would have changed somehow the meaning in that 怪人 could have been referred to 宇宙 instead of タタンガ, but then again I don't know anything about Japanese so...

its very common for の to be used for attribution like this. the distinction between having and not having it in this phrase is essentially nothing

Wow, a whole discussion on my identity happened while I was gone? Pft- Also, wow. I just noticed there's a typo in my username.

Ryu said:
To be honest, I recognize OP's style of username and posting from several sites including GameFAQs. Apparently it's a thing to troll people by being overly supportive of Daisy, particularly for Smash.

Here's an article on the guy who started it all: http://gfaqssb.wikia.com/wiki/Michaeloll
LOL I've actually never made any posts on gamefaqs. I'm also not sure how I'm coming off as trolling? And as others pointed out, I am UhHuhAlrightDaisy on the MarioWiki, where I've worked on the wiki for a long time. I also recently created a SmashBoards account for the first time, also named Uha. Sorry if that disappoints you?

Mister Wu said:
UhHuhAlirghtDaisy said:
Side Note: Yo! Can someone please translate that scan? lol
Ok, what is written in that scan is: etc.
[/i]Keep in mind that these are Google Translate + Bing Translate + common sense, if you want a real translation ask people with actual knowledge of Japanese!
Sweet! I'll include these in her bio and statistics on the wiki at some point. Thanks a bunch.

Baby Luigi said:
What baffles me is that Daisy could be an actual Peach alt - not a recolor, but a different costume, like Wireframe Mac and the Koopalings. Instead Daisy is still stuck as a Peach recolor.
One of the cool things about her is all the stuff she does unique to her, though. Making her a Peach alternate would be like making Waluigi a Luigi alternate, I think. The Koopalings only ended up being alternates of Jr. because Jr. didn't end up doing a lot of what he normally does, right?

Crocodile Dippy said:
hey UHAD, I found a Daisy body pillow online. Want me to buy it for you for Christmas?
I'm actually gay, so! No. lol

Nico Yazawa said:
2257 said:
i seriously doubt uhad is a troll. they've been editing on the wiki for close to a decade. i'm pretty sure they're just a big daisy fan

as for those japanese texts, i dont really think 宇宙怪人のタタンガ is a particularly notable phrasing. i would translate it as "tatanga the mysterious spaceman" and i'm fairly certain he's been called that since his first appearance
actually, i know who youre talking about, and i dont think thats him (foreverdaisy, or fd, was his previous name im sure). op joined a few days ago

regardless i dont think that theyre a troll either, just a huge fan. to comment on the topic, daisy isnt a peach "clone". i mean, mario and luigi started out being the same thing but just a palette swap, and today nobody thinks theyre clones either, so it should hold true for daisy if we can make the distinction between mario & luigi.

i feel like its been a pretty long time since shes appeared in anything that wasnt a spinoff. to me it looks like rosalina kinda stole the spotlight (ie, sm3dw, smash) from her, making her sort of irrelevant, but i know she still has lots of fans. atleast shes still been appearing in the spinoffs i guess, i dont play as her but i think everyone should be able to pick their favourite character to play as, and atleast they didnt dump her completely like dk jr. from smk for instance (rip ;_;7).
I was FD09! Long, long, ago. I couldn't remember my old username let alone what email I used. Three whole posts. But I still wasn't even aware of the gamefaqs person. He also looks a lot younger than me. I grew up in the N64 generation where he looks more like a NGC kid.

Dr. Alphys said:
Nico Yazawa said:
i mean, mario and luigi started out being the same thing but just a palette swap, and today nobody thinks theyre clones either, so it should hold true for daisy if we can make the distinction between mario & luigi.

I feel there's a difference between the cases Peach vs. Daisy and Mario vs. Luigi. Luigi has had several chances to distinguish himself from his brother, the earliest instance being in the original Super Mario Bros. 2, where he controlled differently. He has developed a persona that is entirely different from Mario's, with his own personality, his own enemies (ghosts), and his own abilities. Luigi has come so far, he can nowadays even star in his own games without it seeming weird. He has earned that distinction.

Daisy on the other hand is still struggling establishing anything like that. She's appeared in one platformer in which she was functionally identical to Peach, and in all subsequent spin-off games she has appeared in, Peach is also playable. Wherever Daisy appears, Peach is with her in some form, in role or in person. Daisy has not yet escaped Peach's shadow and is thus unable to truly stand on her own, like Luigi does. And if Nintendo continues the direction they're going with her, she likely never will.

The sad thing is that Daisy actually does have potential as a character. She is the Princess of Sarasaland, a kingdom that is an amalgamation of egyptian/easter island/chinese mythology and just plain weirdness. Yet the character does not reflect that. If they want to free Daisy from the Peach recolor trap, they should stop resting on the excuse of "If we say Daisy is a tomboy, that'll make her different enough from Peach whatevs lol". Being a tomboy is a one-note characteristic. Give her something beside that. Make her embrace her heritage and better reflect the qualities of her kingdom.

That's just my two cents though.
That still only acknowledges her one platformer appearance, though, wouldn't you say? Yeah, Peach has appeared in every spin-off she has, but it wouldn't make sense for Peach to not be in a spin-off game. Hasn't she appeared in every one, practically?

So I agree Daisy needs to appear in more platformers. Daisy's gotten plenty of exposure that sets her apart at this point, though, it's just that not appearing in the platformers seems to be preventing people from acknowledging things.

UhHuhAlirghtDaisy said:
Baby Luigi said:
What baffles me is that Daisy could be an actual Peach alt - not a recolor, but a different costume, like Wireframe Mac and the Koopalings. Instead Daisy is still stuck as a Peach recolor.
One of the cool things about her is all the stuff she does unique to her, though. Making her a Peach alternate would be like making Waluigi a Luigi alternate, I think. The Koopalings only ended up being alternates of Jr. because Jr. didn't end up doing a lot of what he normally does, right?

Well, the Koopalings did end up using the Shadow Mario Paint, which is supposed to be a Bowser Jr. exclusive thing. So I really don't see problems for Daisy. Hell, Peach's moveset involves golf clubs and tennis rackets, something that is a natural fit for a character whose series those weapons came from revived her.

Baby Luigi said:
UhHuhAlirghtDaisy said:
Baby Luigi said:

Well, the Koopalings did end up using the Shadow Mario Paint, which is supposed to be a Bowser Jr. exclusive thing. So I really don't see problems for Daisy. Hell, Peach's moveset involves golf clubs and tennis rackets, something that is a natural fit for a character whose series those weapons came from revived her.
Wow, they did? That's so disappointing! lol That's the one move that makes much sense, though. Meh. I just think it kind of defeats the purpose of her being playable, and reinforces the idea she's a Peach clone. I know some people would be just dandy with her as an alternate though. The other thing is, they can give Rosalina her own moveset, so it just wouldn't seem right.

I could imagine Daisy working as a Luigified clone of Peach. She plays fundamentally like Peach, but not to the extent where all of her moveset is exactly like Peach's. Maybe give her move power in exchange to being slower and heavier and make her specials different.

Baby Luigi said:
I could imagine Daisy working as a Luigified clone of Peach. She plays fundamentally like Peach, but not to the extent where all of her moveset is exactly like Peach's. Maybe give her move power in exchange to being slower and heavier and make her specials different.
I don't know how effective that would be. Luigi worked as a Mario semi-clone because for the past dozen or so games, Mario and Luigi were interchangeable as playable characters except maybe Luigi has a higher jump, so it'd make sense that both of them have a fireball move, a super jump, etc. That doesn't work so well with Peach and Daisy, since Daisy doesn't have a parasol, a Toad friend, a frying pan, and pretty much a lot of the moves that makes Peach who she is. It wouldn't be impossible, but a lot of Peach's moves would have to be retooled.

UhHuhAlrightDaisy said:
Wow, a whole discussion on my identity happened while I was gone? Pft- Also, wow. I just noticed there's a typo in my username.
If you'd like, you can request a name change.

Mario and Luigi's brotherly relationship also makes them more interchangeable, compounded that they're twins. Peach and Daisy could be retconned in favor of a sister relationship... hmm.... that would be interesting.

Daisy could substitute a parasol for something else, and maybe she can use a flower that expels pollen rather than a Toad; the frying pan can be easily changed into sports equipment; bonus points if it's Daisy-exclusive sports things (like her Pom-Poms in Mario Sports Mix). Peach's moves have to be retooled, sure, but I believe that's what happened with Wolf in Brawl.

I always felt Peach was more magical than Daisy.

Dr. Mario said:
the frying pan can be easily changed into sports equipment; bonus points if it's Daisy-exclusive sports things (like her Pom-Poms in Mario Sports Mix).
My headcanon's always been that her frying pan-equivalent is a golf club since that was her first post-SML appearance.

Time Turner said:
Baby Luigi said:
I don't know how effective that would be. Luigi worked as a Mario semi-clone because for the past dozen or so games, Mario and Luigi were interchangeable as playable characters except maybe Luigi has a higher jump, so it'd make sense that both of them have a fireball move, a super jump, etc. That doesn't work so well with Peach and Daisy, since Daisy doesn't have a parasol, a Toad friend, a frying pan, and pretty much a lot of the moves that makes Peach who she is. It wouldn't be impossible, but a lot of Peach's moves would have to be retooled.

UhHuhAlrightDaisy said:
If you'd like, you can request a name change.

I got it changed, thanks! And that's the thing here. A lot of you guys are like, trying to figure out how to make her work as a clone when the main point of the opening post was how she would not be a clone! lol Rosalina now appears in more spin-offs than platformers, right? Does that mean she should've been a Peach semi-clone or something? No, so why would Daisy? It's just silly. I could come up with multiple movesets for Daisy, and there's a lot of fanmade movesets for her out there that don't rely on Peach's move-set.

Walkazo said:
Dr. Mario said:
the frying pan can be easily changed into sports equipment; bonus points if it's Daisy-exclusive sports things (like her Pom-Poms in Mario Sports Mix).
My headcanon's always been that her frying pan-equivalent is a golf club since that was her first post-SML appearance.
Peach already pulls out a golf-club, also. It alternates between frying pan golf-club, and maybe something else, even? What would be cool is Daisy having her own move-set, and doing something like charging a soccer ball kick.

Maybe we can give Daisy the Superball power or commandeer the Sky Pop? Or even use her crystal powers from Strikers.

She can use a baseball bat and a hockey stick, two which Peach doesn't use.

Maybe her Final Smash can be the Crystal Strike or something like that.

Maybe Daisy could use the super balls from SML?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back