Paper Mario TTYD vs Paper Mario vs Super Paper Mario

Magikrazy said:
Does the "what happens in Vegas" saying mean nothing to you?

Phrases were meant to be ignored!!

Magikrazy said:
Geez, one sour note and the entire orchestra's ruined for you, huh?

I know Sticker Star wasn't very good, and it's for sure my least favorite, but damn. You just completely disown a franchise you loved for three generations after one dud. I'd at least wait until the next Paper Mario (i.e., not Paper Jam). :P

And don't take this the wrong way. I respect your thoughts on the series, and I'll admit Paper Mario has been on a bit of a downward spike in terms of quality.
Not quite. The RPGs, for the most part, are what kept me interested in the series after all the repetitiveness that was going on in the platformers. Then Sticker Star came along and showed a complete and total disregard for everything that the past sixteen years (at the time) of RPG installments had established, and I almost lost interest in the series altogether. It doesn't exactly help that the game is continuously shoved in our faces, making that the dominant game in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, rather than any of the previous, more well-liked installments, as well as everything we've seen in Paper Jam so far. Regardless of how grim things may have looked at the time (and still do up to this day), I still managed to maintain my interest in the series, mostly because I've been playing games in the Mario series pretty much all my life, starting with the NES games.

Kinda wish the Paper Mario stage was on Wii U. Considering the trophies there, it probably would have been more Super Paper Mario inspired.

Perhaps Sammer Kingdom.

Magikrazy said:
Kinda wish the Paper Mario stage was on Wii U. Considering the trophies there, it probably would have been more Super Paper Mario inspired.

Perhaps Sammer Kingdom.

The idea is to improve it, not make it worse.

Magikrazy said:

Perhaps Sammer Kingdom.

Maybe they'll do the same thing they did with the duck hunt stage. I would prefer if they did magicant though

Mcmadness said:
Magikrazy said:

Perhaps Sammer Kingdom.

youre right, id rather include something from pm64 since itd make for a better stage (something like the toybox for example) vs. a 2d game.

I hated the Paper Mario stage so no thanks

i hated it too, but just because it focussed on the wrong game and the worst possible location (imo) from ttyd

Mcmadness said:
Magikrazy said:

Perhaps Sammer Kingdom.

Sammer Kingdom would be an improvement on the Paper Mario stage.

Although what I would want most is Koopa Bros Fortress.

I think both the Glitz Pit and Sammer's Kingdom would have done the job just nicely.

Magikrazy said:

I would hardly call the second ugliest level in the franchise an improvement.

I've never played TTYD but I rather liked Super Paper Mario (granted Super Paper Mario is the worst of the Mario RPG's I've played.)

Paper Mario stage was ruined for the terribly designed third section. The first two were fine.

To its credit, the CPUs screw in up in hilarious ways in that section

The boat section in that stage is the only good one.

For me, its TTYD, original and SPM.

For TTYD and the original, per a previous user, TTYD was an improvment over the original prototype (though granted not without its own flaws).

I may explain my thoughts on SPM some other time.

Ash's Froakie said:
TTYD was an improvment over the original prototype

damn

do you have access to a sick beta protoz of TTYD

i want to subscribe to your newspaper

Mcmadness said:
Magikrazy said:

I would hardly call the second ugliest level in the franchise an improvement.
idk it reminds me of canada from south park

to get good reputation on a forum you need to bump random topics with no reason at all

To be honest, in terms of ones I've played recently, it'd have to be Super Paper Mario. In terms of altogether favorites, I guess PM64, but I haven't played that in quite a long time.

SPM and PM64 are what I see the Paper Mario franchise as at it's core, being what it was MEANT to be. And then there's the oddball, The Thousand Year Door...

To put it simple, my opinion TTYD varies from "I absolutely despise this game" to "meh, it's okay". My main quarrel with the game was how it portrayed two of my favorite characters, Luigi, and Bowser, in the worst ways possible. I haven't played The Thousand Year Door, and I pretty much got all my information on the game from the wiki, so I'm probably wrong about ALL of this. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Warning: Massive TTYD Rant
Now before you flame at me for being a heretic and not liking the most overrated pos I've ever seen so called "greatest paper mario evar", these reasons are easily visible within the game.

First of all, in Luigi's appearance within Paper Mario 64, his personality was completely nailed, as even though he ran out of Peach's castle from fear, it wasn't out of desertion or any bad intention. That's what I feel Luigi is; a pure-hearted coward. But TTYD portrays him in the completely incorrect way...

In The Thousand Year Door, players can talk with Luigi, who recently got back from his grand adventure. The adventures is described as being epic and painting Luigi in bright colors, but apparently, this isn't the case. Luigi is actually lying to make himself look better, and portrayed him as a dirty, selfish, introverted liar.

Additionally, Luigi got some of his partners hurt during the adventure, due to his cowardliness, but that's not something Luigi would do either; Luigi is a coward, yes, but when it comes to helping or saving people, he can be brave if prompted, as clearly shown in games like Luigi's Mansion.

In terms of Bowser, I think it might even be worse; Bowser is meant to be an intimidating monster king with a massive ego and army, but Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door took a spin on him that I hate with all my heart. Instead of being intimidating or menacing, the koopa king is instead portrayed as a stupid, goofy character, who constantly tries to capture the pure hearts while failing left and right, barely even contributing to the game's plot in general.

The pure LACK of care into his character seemed more like an insult to bowser fans than anything. There wasn't even a purpose to including the bowser scenarios; it seems like they're just there to BE there. It always feels like the main focus is on Mario and his companions that are either genderbent versions of the original PM64 ones (I.E., Goombella, Bobbery) or on the antagonists of the game that fail to interest me, (What's so great about Doopliss? He seems more like an annoying 13-year old that spams "slick" to sound cool than an actually memorable character.) like the stereotypical dark queen antagonist, in this case, the Shadow Queen, or an alien organization that I keep forgetting even existed in the Mario universe.

However, this is specifically why I like Super Paper Mario and Paper Mario 64: In terms of Super Paper Mario, Luigi isn't described as some selfish jerk, rather, he's described as a hero, just like his brother, but I do have quarrels with THIS portrayal, due to him just seeming... Too brave. But, at least they kept the pure-hearted nature of Luigi, unlike TTYD, I guess... It kind of made the point of Mr. L, who was meant to be an opposite of Luigi, being more brave than cowardly, completely useless.

And then, there's Bowser, who unlike TTYD, has a purpose in the game, no matter how much you dislike "chosen one" stories. Bowser was also the main reason the game even starts in the first place, and I actually kind of LIKE the idea of Bowser being a not-really-so-much-of-a-bad-guy character, and kind of added fodder for the idea of bowser being a justified villain. Even though he still retains some of the goofiness, (he might even have more of it, again, I haven't played TTYD.) at least he isn't portrayed as a loser.

In terms of peach portrayals, I'd say they're pretty much all the same, except Peach is displayed as being stronger and able to take care of herself, so there's that. Most of my issues characterwise is with Bowser and Luigi, and in terms of TTYD's story, it seems more... Meh. I never really got interested in the story, it just sounds bland and uninteresting, or at least on paper it does. At least a frankenstein story, made of several tropes and stuff from other stories, is better than something that doesn't really pull me into the game. Some people even outlined the story as the best part of TTYD, but to me, that's just not the case.

Regardless, SPM has several flaws, but it's not bad in any way. I never noticed any instance of the game "taking itself seriously", as there is still some humorous dialogue in the game (most people say Dimentio's "jokes" are garbage, but I tend to find it charming.) and it isn't 100% grimderp. I also majorly enjoyed the music in Super Paper Mario, but the tracks in TTYD (especially doopliss' theme) never really stuck to me, at all.

I think the only good thing TTYD's got going for it is the gameplay, but I might be wrong. Again, as I haven't played TTYD, I probably got ALL of this wrong. Don't take this as my final opinion or anything.

Anyways, yeah, my ranking of the Paper Mario games is basically PM64>SPM>PM:TTYD>PM:SS. TTYD is NOWHERE near as bad as Sticker Star, and is FAR better than it in all ways possible, but it's certainly not better than 64 or SPM in anything but gameplay.

Speaking of gameplay, many call the SPM gameplay to be boring and tedious buuuut... I never met any sort of boredom or tediousness from SPM other than in Overthere Stair, but that was just tediousness and frustration. They game never failed to entertain me, and I never met any sort of boredom while playing. Heck, I enjoyed the game so much I played through it for like, 6 or 5 days straight. My playthrough could've been even LONGER if I figured out the puzzles myself and I didn't use a walkthrough.

Also, I REALLY recommend you guys don't bash a game just because it screwed up two of your favorite characters. Don't go down my path.

^
Dude, You've seriously got to try TTYD. It is the best of its franchise. It is Paper Mario to its perfection.

How could you not like something if you haven't played it personally? I played TTYD and it was amazing.

Super Paper Mario felt more like Zelda II, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, the 2D Mario platformers, Mega Man X7 (with the multi-dimensional switching), and the Paper Mario artstyle blended together.

Adrian Fahrenheit "Alucard" Tepes said:
^
Dude, You've seriously got to try TTYD. It is the best of its franchise. It is Paper Mario to its perfection.

How could you not like something if you haven't played it personally? I played TTYD and it was amazing.

Super Paper Mario felt more like Zelda II, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, the 2D Mario platformers, Mega Man X7 (with the multi-dimensional switching), and the Paper Mario artstyle blended together.

In terms of story, it's a major let down from the original.

In terms of gameplay, I'm pretty sure TTYD is as amazing as you say it is. And it's not like I DON'T like it, (again, it's more like me constantly switching between "meh" and "I absolutely despise it") it's just that it did things I really did not like, at all.

Nevertheless, most people don't play Mario games for the story, so I should probably lay off this game. I'm pretty sure the gameplay is the reason everyone loves it anyways, not it's story.

Additionally, my post was more directed to people who absolutely hate SPM with all their heart, (i.e. Mcmadness) not really people who think SPM is an alright game or just average in general. ;)

spm will forever be bad to me though.

its not even really just the story, the gameplay was so dull and everything was so poorly designed, i know im just beating a dead horse here, but theres no amount of logic thats gonna make that game look good.

Zae Eildus said:
spm will forever be bad to me though.

its not even really just the story, the gameplay was so dull and everything was so poorly designed, i know im just beating a dead horse here, but theres no amount of logic thats gonna make that game look good.

The only actual poor design flaws I noticed were the uninspired level designs and the fact that one of the mine carts in Floro Caverns somehow spins underneath the track to dodge large stalagmites.

If you found the gameplay dull, though, I can't really comment on that. You can't change how somebody feels about a game or how they experienced it. Whether they had fun or not is their call, not other people's.

Back