Paper Mario TTYD vs Paper Mario vs Super Paper Mario

Sorry I can't stand generic trash.

2-1 is an okay-ish level, the rest of them are utter rubbish. 2-2 has you ... go through multiple rooms until the game softlocks just because Mimi tells you where to go, 2-3 is Grinding: The Level, and 2-4 is a maze that doesn't try to be a maze, and cannot be one since every room has a time limit. Chapter 2 is easily the worst chapter of the game, stop denying this.

Emmett Brown said:
people who think super paper mario is generic haven't played past 2-1 :/

Beat the game 4 times.

Emmett Brown said:
Pi said:
Chapter 2 is rubbish

no chapter 2 is the first good one.

after that every chapter is gr8. no exceptions.

The space one put me to sleep, to be honest.

The Sammer Kingdom looked nice, but basically just was a shitload of pretty much identical fights in a row.

Emmett Brown said:
Everyone who denies that spm is gr8's judgment is wrong.

Well if I can't have opinions, NOBODY CAN!

Although honestly, I think SPM is a good game, but compared to the other glorious Mario RPGs it's... eh. Okay. Same with Sticker Star.

TTYD Hands down.

I'm gonna spoiler why

Who knew we'd have russian bob-ombs and going to the freaking moon? GOING TO AN ISLAND WITH A PIRATE SHIP AND BEING A WRESTLER AND FIGHTING ON A TRAIN AND PARTICIPATE IN A NAVAL BATTLE, HELPING THE MAFIA, GAMBLING, HAVING A CLOUD WITH BOOBS FOR SOME REASON WE DON'T KNOW WHY, HAVING YOSHI AS A PARTNER AND A PRETTY AMAZING ONE AT THAT, WE GET A SEA WOLF BOB-OMB, A CUTE TRANS CHARACTER, FIGHTING A POSSESED PRINCESS PEACH, FIGHTING SOMEONE WHO STOLE YOUR IDENTITY, FIGHTING AGAINST TIME IN A BIG-ASS TREE BEFORE IT EXPLODES AND REKTING DRAGONS IN A OLD CASTLE AND GETTING A CAT BURGLAR MOUSE THIEF AND FINALLY YOU CAN PLAY OTHER THAN MARIO ALSO FUNNY BOWSER DIALOGUES. PLZ TELL ME THIS GAME ISN'T GREAT.

endwhyilikeit

Pi said:
2-1 is an okay-ish level, the rest of them are utter rubbish. 2-2 has you ... go through multiple rooms until the game softlocks just because Mimi tells you where to go, 2-3 is Grinding: The Level, and 2-4 is a maze that doesn't try to be a maze, and cannot be one since every room has a time limit. Chapter 2 is easily the worst chapter of the game, stop denying this.

i thought 2-3 was a great level but okay.

Phyllis said:
The space one put me to sleep, to be honest.

but it had the whoa zone

that was just

whoa

Mcmadness said:
Emmett Brown said:
people who think super paper mario is generic haven't played past 2-1 :/

Beat the game 4 times.

the game had a boss who's a fucking nintendo fanboy

is that generic? i dont think so.

also all of the npcs had individual designs. none of them were generic. i dont see what is so generic about spm. in fact, it's desperately trying to not be generic.

which is sticker star trying to as well, the problem is though that its approach only made it even more generic. idk if you get what i mean but there is a major difference between spm and sticker star, which sets spm apart as the better game at least.

if you like spm or the other 2 paper mario games apart from sticker star more is not my problem, but versus sticker star at least, there is no right to call super paper mario bad.

like, it's not even a generic platformer because it simply isn't.

you can argue against the story, but at least there is one.

anyways, this is my opinon. im not trying to enforce my opinon on you.

I guess there's no such thing as non-subjectively saying which one is the best paper mario. (because i am terribly biased against sticker star and i cannot logically comprehend any opinon regarding how the game is not incredibly inferior to spm and the other games)

therefore I'm out of this conversation.

I'm only here to say that I haven't played a single Paper Mario game.

Do I win something?

Dr. Mario said:

Do I win something?

Congratulations you won flame wars

Sylveon said:
TTYD Hands down.

I'm gonna spoiler why

Who knew we'd have russian bob-ombs and going to the freaking moon? GOING TO AN ISLAND WITH A PIRATE SHIP AND BEING A WRESTLER AND FIGHTING ON A TRAIN AND PARTICIPATE IN A NAVAL BATTLE, HELPING THE MAFIA, GAMBLING, HAVING A CLOUD WITH BOOBS FOR SOME REASON WE DON'T KNOW WHY, HAVING YOSHI AS A PARTNER AND A PRETTY AMAZING ONE AT THAT, WE GET A SEA WOLF BOB-OMB, A CUTE TRANS CHARACTER, FIGHTING A POSSESED PRINCESS PEACH, FIGHTING SOMEONE WHO STOLE YOUR IDENTITY, FIGHTING AGAINST TIME IN A BIG-ASS TREE BEFORE IT EXPLODES AND REKTING DRAGONS IN A OLD CASTLE AND GETTING A CAT BURGLAR MOUSE THIEF AND FINALLY YOU CAN PLAY OTHER THAN MARIO ALSO FUNNY BOWSER DIALOGUES. PLZ TELL ME THIS GAME ISN'T GREAT.

endwhyilikeit

Well, this basically sums up why I like TTYD so much. Good thing I don't have to type it up myself.

HAVING A CLOUD WITH BOOBS FOR SOME REASON WE DON'T KNOW WHY,
Except this part :P

maybe :dk:

Dr. Mario said:

Do I win something?

you should.

unless you dont like rpgs in general i guess.

Emmett Brown said:
the game had a boss who's a *bleep*ing nintendo fanboy

is that generic? i dont think so.

also all of the npcs had individual designs. none of them were generic. i dont see what is so generic about spm. in fact, it's desperately trying to not be generic.

which is sticker star trying to as well, the problem is though that its approach only made it even more generic. idk if you get what i mean but there is a major difference between spm and sticker star, which sets spm apart as the better game at least.

if you like spm or the other 2 paper mario games apart from sticker star more is not my problem, but versus sticker star at least, there is no right to call super paper mario bad.

like, it's not even a generic platformer because it simply isn't.

you can argue against the story, but at least there is one.

anyways, this is my opinon. im not trying to enforce my opinon on you.

I guess there's no such thing as non-subjectively saying which one is the best paper mario. (because i am terribly biased against sticker star and i cannot logically comprehend any opinon regarding how the game is not incredibly inferior to spm and the other games)

therefore I'm out of this conversation.

It has every single generic jrpg cliche I've seen in every generic jrpg since the early NES days. The previous ones were hardly original but you could at least enjoy the Mario esque spins they had on it, SPM doesn't even have that beyond a few token elements here and there.

And I prefer SS since as average as it was I could at least feel the Mario influence in it. SPM just looks like a generic jrpg that they slapped Mario's name on.

As ridiculous as the "dude lost his girlfriend so he wants to destroy the world" story is, I don't think that's a typical feature of plotlines in JRPGs.

Everything's been done before.

But my point is that the typical JRPG plot is probably more akin to an evil guy who desires power, and sometimes, the backstory is that the evil guy in the past succeeded in power (sometimes involving a MacGuffin) got defeated and then got sealed away, but broke open during the game plot.

Dr. Mario said:
As ridiculous as the "dude lost his girlfriend so he wants to destroy the world" story is, I don't think that's a typical feature of plotlines in JRPGs.

It's been around as early as Dragon quest 4 on the NES, if not earlier. And not so much girlfriends but you can easily substitute it for, sister, brother, son, father, daughter, close friend etc etc and you'd get the same results.

Well, as I said, "everything's been already done before". I'm more concerned about its frequency rather than that such plotlines already exist.

Well coming from somebody whose played ALOT of rpgs, trust me, it has.

Hm, okay, I'll have to trust you for that part because I'm not a seasoned RPG player at all.

Super Paper Mario DOES go into "chosen one" territory, though, and I don't forgive it for that.

Back