Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2

Baby Luigi said:
au contraier (or however you spell it), Super Mario Galaxy 2 ranks among my most hated Mario games I've ever played.
Au contraire, I think that's rather harsh, especially in a series that has Hotel Mario, Mario's Time Machine, Mario is Missing, and others that, in my opinion, are actually worth getting angry about in comparison to a game whose biggest crime is repeating too much.

I don't hate those games as much because I have zero expectations for them to begin with.

The first one definitely felt closer to 64 and Sunshine, but both games have amazing soundtracks.

I see them as the same game
especially since SMG2 was originally supposed to be an add on for the first one

My feelings haven't change since this topic first started

Super Mario Galaxy>>>>Distance from Milkyway to Andromeda>>>>>Super Mario Galaxy 2

I definitely prefer the first Super Mario Galaxy, as the second is a bit too much linear with less memorable levels and cutscenes too, overall I think the first is superior to the second in almost all aspects except soundtrack (they are both on par I think) and the lack of :yoshi:

I feel like they're pretty close, but I generally go with the first one. It had above-average story for Mario games while SMG2 was fairly standard, the observatory and Rosalina are better than Starship Mario and Lubba (although traveling deeper into the universe with Starship Mario does have it's appeal), and like Mister Wu said, it has more memorable levels. They're both great games though, and you gotta appreciate being able to play twice as much Galaxy-style gameplay than you would with only one game.

I too still have very strong feelings for the first one, and also, remember, some galaxies were open for exploration, like Beach Bowl, Sea Slide, Honeyhop and Golden Leaf, and the first part of That lava level, forgot its name.

Oh and also the mountain planet of Freezeflame, let’s not forget that.

i forget what my answer was, but i gotta go with the second one just a tad more, love those levels, love yoshi, love the co-star luma so my sister has something to do while she watches me play (i would say girlfriend, but i dont have one of those)

of course, neither galaxy can hold a candle to 64, sunshine, and from what ive seen and heard, odyssey

I prefer the first. I love both but the second kinda felt like they wanted to do more with the first game's mechanics but got lazy with the plot (I guess the universe reset after Galaxy 1, but the plot is still weaker in the sequel. Still fun AF)

They're both great. I'd say the second has an advantage with Yoshi and some cool level ideas, but overall the first one wins out with plot and just sheer originality factor.

The first one has the intense screaming at the end of the Star Festival level, the first level in the game, so I vote the first one.

I've always preferred the first Galaxy game to the second. I think it may have something to do with how similar 2 is to the first, but I remember not being very impressed with 2. Galaxy 2 also in my opinion greatly lacks the weird atmosphere of the original. I always remember such a mysterious and grand feeling all throughout the first Galaxy while I don't really get that in Galaxy 2. That feeling that you're way out in some weird area of the cosmos not knowing what could possibly be coming next feels sucked out with 2. 2 always felt just there for me, never really innovating enough to truly stand on its own. Yeah, you get Yoshi, but he barely makes an impact honestly. I'm not a fan of the streamlined world maps either, how galaxies have been shrunken down, and let's be blunt, Lubba just fucking sucks.

Both are amazing, but I will argue that Galaxy 2 is superior. Even if the original had all this originality to it, Galaxy 2 is better in just about every way (and no, story doesn't matter in Mario games). Better level design, more power-ups, Yoshi, and (most importantly) power-ups for Yoshi. And Green Stars are far better than Super Luigi Galaxy, anyway. And it's harder. Much harder.

Galaxy 2 is a master at being a missed opportunity and a massive disappointment, so yeah, it's still my least favorite Mario title personally

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Galaxy 2 is a master at being a missed opportunity and a massive disappointment, so yeah, it's still my least favorite Mario title personally

Can you elaborate? I usually don't hear opinions of 2 that are this negative so I'm interested now.

I could share mine, but I can say it wouldn't be as negative as Baby Luigi's.

I like Galaxy 2. It's a good game, but the first one beats it by a long shot. First of all, Galaxy 2 lacked the feeling of exploring far off, alien worlds. That might be mainly because they regularly used the sky background, but the levels are too... casual. There's nothing that special about most of them, and the ones that are special either have a clone galaxy or are more gimmicky than enjoyable. Galaxy 1's levels were all dinstinct, and most importantly really felt like a trip to outer space to me, and were special in a way (except Golden Leaf Galaxy, that shit can go fuck itself, even though the second mission is pretty nice).

Yoshi was a cool addition, but it didn't really make the game feel different, if anything it brought it closer to the other games. Yoshi being in there does not automatically make the game better, and the cutscenes were way less impressing or climatic. The final Bowser fight is, but it's basically "Ground pound a few times and you're good".

I mean, I like it, again, it's a good game, but Galaxy 1 is just way better, I mean it's my all-time favorite video game for a reson.

ShroomZed said:
Can you elaborate? I usually don't hear opinions of 2 that are this negative so I'm interested now.
It's a common theme in this forum (at least years ago) to hate on Galaxy 2. Galaxy 2 is a missed opportunity and Galaxy 1 had a bunch of missed opportunities that Galaxy 2 could've cashed on.

https://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=35522.msg1773539#msg1773539 ->sums up a lot of my opinions. I mean, wow, they thought readding that stacked mandibug, which were treated as normal enemies, as a boss now. There's a line between paying homage and being way too close to the first game. It doesn't help that when they have the opportunity to use the better elements (those with more potential), not just lazy copy-paste Galaxies and additionally sparsely put powerups anywhere except a few, they fizzle. A lot.

I wrote so much words describing how much I dislike Galaxy 2, maybe I should do it again.

Also Mario's stupid spaceship looks so fucking dumb.

I said myself as well I don't like Galaxy 2 as much as the first. I didn't realize this was that widespread an opinion I guess.

My opinion hasn't changed since last time this thread was bumped:

Czario said:
I feel like they're pretty close, but I generally go with the first one. It had above-average story for Mario games while SMG2 was fairly standard, the observatory and Rosalina are better than Starship Mario and Lubba (although traveling deeper into the universe with Starship Mario does have it's appeal), and like Mister Wu said, it has more memorable levels. They're both great games though, and you gotta appreciate being able to play twice as much Galaxy-style gameplay than you would with only one game.
I also agree what Koops said today. While having linear levels that don't feel like locations is not a bad thing per se, there should also be distinct locations, which SMG2 had a lot less of. With SMG2 it felt like they were going for a more pure, linear platforming experience, which I think is not the right direction for the SMG games and was much better suited in 3D Land where it worked quite well.

The one in space.

Back