Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2

As I said, there are far more subtle ways to make a reference or get inspired from the first game. Super Mario Galaxy 2 knows what subtle is....if it's spelled like this

SUBTLE

Btw, FreezeFlake is a FreezeFlame rip-off mainly because it also uses lava meets ice concept, this time, it takes place in snow. Whoop-dee-doo?

Pi said:
The water levels of Super Mario Galaxy are awful and the ones in Super Mario Galaxy 2 are beautiful.

Discuss.

Too bad the water controls are worse.

The water controls are the same in the both games. Your point being?

Baby Luigi said:
Btw, FreezeFlake is a FreezeFlame rip-off mainly because it also uses lava meets ice concept, this time, it takes place in snow. Whoop-dee-doo?
Freezeflame Galaxy is a Hailfire Peaks rip-off mainly because it literally uses the lava meets ice concept.

It's still bearable, the water levels. Cosmic cove+Slimy springs>any galaxy water level.
Cosmic cove has an awesome music, and the mission for Exploring the cosmic cavern was beautiful. The music is the MOST calmest, soothing music, even more than space junk. Slimy springs had the best end visual put of any galaxy.

And at least galaxy 2 tried to make their galaxies different and indeed it worked.

Pi said:
The water controls are the same in the both games. Your point being?

Altering the mechanics of spinning underwater made it far less enjoyable. Thanks to the lag, I can't spin around at high speed underwater anymore. It's not fun.

Baby Luigi said:
Freezeflame Galaxy is a Hailfire Peaks rip-off mainly because it literally uses the lava meets ice concept.

The difference here is that FreezeFlame Galaxy didn't come from a game sequel that wasn't subtle about advancing its game forward and is quite happy with stangation and piggybacking off the success of the first game.

Pi said:
The water levels of Super Mario Galaxy are awful and the ones in Super Mario Galaxy 2 are beautiful.

Discuss.
Bonefin Galaxy.

Zae Eildus said:
advanafire said:
I have been lucky enough to play both, but I would have to say that Galaxy I is probably better just because of it's original ideas and gameplay. Galaxy II introduced some neat concepts such as Yoshi and new and improved galaxies, but I didn't like the world map that much. But I still stand with my unpopular opinion that Sunshine trumps them both :P

oh man im with ya, i love sunshine and simply think galaxy games are just big step downs compared to it.
Sunshine is eh for me. It has huge flaws that I can't ignore, namely the god forsaken blue coins and the Blooper surfing. DX

I also liked Bigmouth Galaxy

Dr. Mario said:
Pi said:

Discuss.
Bonefin Galaxy.

Zae Eildus said:
advanafire said:
I have been lucky enough to play both, but I would have to say that Galaxy I is probably better just because of it's original ideas and gameplay. Galaxy II introduced some neat concepts such as Yoshi and new and improved galaxies, but I didn't like the world map that much. But I still stand with my unpopular opinion that Sunshine trumps them both :P

oh man im with ya, i love sunshine and simply think galaxy games are just big step downs compared to it.
Sunshine is eh for me. It has huge flaws that I can't ignore, namely the god forsaken blue coins and the Blooper surfing. DX

oh trust me i know, getting all shine sprites is utterly disappointing and those two things you mentioned are pretty bad too.

Overall though i did like the world exploration and the hub world, music was fine too, and some missions were pretty interesting.

Id say about every 3d mario has its numbers of flaws though, but you know you like a game when you can enjoy it despite those flaws.

Overall, I think most of the music in SMG1 and SMG2 are really relaxing and nice to listen to.

It's been a while since I last played Super Mario Sunshine, but I now recall that it is indeed fun to walk around and mess with the world. It actually makes me really miss actual coherent worlds since I'm so tired of the Super Mario Bros. formula and the planetoid hopping (which I think has no business in other games like the all-around sub-par Splatoon). Still, Super Mario Galaxy felt like the last Mario game that wowed me through initial playing; I haven't played that one in a while, and maybe I should do a replaying to get another opinion.

What about Super Mario Galaxy 2?

Super Mario Galaxy 2 hasn't wowed with as much, and I did have rather high expectations because I was impressed, but its end product ended up being totally disappointing. I expected more space-type worlds, but I got a lot of 2.5d segments along with bright blue skies. So, I'm not as impressed.

So which game do you prefer more then?

I prefer the first one by a long shot because I was really impressed the first time I played it, and I had a lot more hype for that game than Super Mario Galaxy 2. It was the novelty that made it better, IMO. Novelty disappears quickly, by the time Super Mario Galaxy 2 is out, the novelty is gone.

Nintendo64Dude said:
Overall, I think most of the music in SMG1 and SMG2 are really relaxing and nice to listen to.

smg 2s ost has its good ones, but overall i think smg ost is just damn good in general.

Especially the purple coins theme.

My favorite is Good Egg Galaxy, but I do like Buoy Base, Purple Coins, credits, and Space Junk.

I hope they go with full-on orchestra again, but I also love its jazz themes in 3D World. I hope they go more over-the-top with the jazz, too.

Nintendo64Dude said:
What about Super Mario Galaxy 2?

Dr. Mario hates Galaxy 2 as much as I do, actually

id take sunshine or 64 over either galaxy. the linear obstacle course structure of the levels in the galaxy games is just not nearly as appealing to me as what the other two did

slimy spring galaxy remains one of my favorite areas in any game, though...

Slimy Spring Galaxy is just a well-constructed 3D linear level, which actually looks like a coherent setting rather than random floating crap (Space Junk does the floating random crap correctly). The last part, though, is a great finisher to a fine level. It's too bad it doesn't seem like it's taking place in outer space in a game that emphasizes on outer space, but I can't fault Slimy Spring as much as I have to fault Super Mario Galaxy 2 as a whole.

I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 has an underrated soundtrack

Yeah I know that the terms "underrated" and "Super Mario Galaxy 2" mesh together as nicely as what happens to a car during crash tests (or a better comparison, what happens when you mesh two galaxies together) but no one seems to emphasize how good it really is. I think its soundtrack is about on par with the original Super Mario Galaxy. And this is coming from a person whose least favorite Mario game is Galaxy 2.

It has crappy midi disappointments like Hightail Falls and that Haunted galaxy thing, we both remember getting sorely disappointed, but I guess at that point, we're like "Screw Super Mario Galazy 2". Typo intended.

Yeah, initially, it was disappointing.

But Galaxy 2 did come with music such as Starship Mario, Bowser Jr's world songs, all world songs, credits, Cosmic Cove, Slipsand Galaxy (better than Dusty Dune), freaking Throwback Galaxy, Melty Monster, Space Storm, and hell, we used a boss tune as a battle mode stage music for Mario Kart Wii (Skyscraper) even though our opinion with vgm is that it's inferior to other music. Some music might be artificially created with digital things, but it's still good artificial digital music. Which made me realize that Galaxy 2 does not have a worse soundtrack than Galaxy after all.

super mario galaxy 2 gets a thumbs down for the god awful remix of rainbow ride.

Don't worry, I skip over that music every time. I never liked the Rainbow Ride music unless Mario & Sonic covered it.

i like the song but the remix in smg2 is mind blowing how bad it is, i mean a good chunk of the ost was good, but sheesh.

Back