Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Disembodied Mario head on a hot air balloon was the first thing that came to mind.

MarioBalloon.png

Oh look, Rosalina is back again and now being playable before Toad in another crossover game involved Mario now. Squee.

If you can do multiple Marios, I'd gladly create a team of only Marios and maybe one Luigi. :)

Rosalina is an Olympic games does not make any sense, now they are adding her for everything.

If Rosalina is really in it, yes.

I'm just excited to finally see her in something other than her normal outfit and the bike suit, unless they cop out and down give her alt outfits.

Cirdec said:
Rosalina is an Olympic games does not make any sense, now they are adding her for everything.

I think that started in Mario Kart Wii (the not making sense part). She's now ingrained in the Mario Universe as a reoccuring character and has become basically one of the prominent female characters in the Mario series. There's not a lot of female characters, and the fact that she is very liked by the fans gives them an excuse to add her to things.

I mean, sure Daisy and Toad and other characters should get as much attention as she's been getting since she debutted (talking in general, not just this game), but I guess Nintendo just likes her a lot.

Unlike other games I have absolutely no issue with Rosalina being in this game.

Cirdec said:
It made even less sense when she was playable in Mario Party and, to an extent, Super Smash Bros.

Rosalina is being treated and becoming Just Another Dang Princess™.

So does this mean Zazz is playable? of we're getting three playable Mario characters, Sonic will get and equal amount of newcomers.

Unless Rosalina is a rival as well.

Mario Party Σ said:
Cirdec said:
It made even less sense when she was playable in Mario Party
I don't get this one. She's a mario character; a fairly popular one at that, of course she's going to be added to spin-off rosters. That's where those characters go.

She's a commonplace mario character now. It's not really out of the blue either, it began with MKWii and it's progressed to here. The whole 'she doesn't fit into these games' thing is kind of stupid too since there's no criteria for who can and can't be playable in a spin-off of all things.

winstein said:
The Sonic balloon looks kind of weird with it being the top body without the legs. It's probably not as weird as a floating head. Now that I think about it, a floating Mario head would be suitable here.
One of the screenshots has a Mario balloon. It looked like this.
cVzgDvR.png

Rosalina's rival is definitely not that unusually realistic princess who appeared in a Sonic game. That is if the prediction of Rosalina is true.

I bet one piece of beacon that if Zazz is a playable character a popular koopaling would be his rival.

Mario Party Σ said:
Cirdec said:
It made even less sense when she was playable in Mario Party and, to an extent, Super Smash Bros.

She makes perfect sense as a Mario Party host, or the person who hands out the stars in a Super Mario Galaxy themed board.

It's weird to me that Rosalina levitates in Mario Party 10, as opposed to others' travelling on foot. Yes, I know Boo also is like this, but Rosalina is on a different level due to her size, so it looks like she should have played good host (much like DK in Mario Party 5 to 9).

I wonder if Rosalina levitates in this game too.

Thanks for reading.

Glitchy said:
Mario Party Σ said:
Cirdec said:

She makes perfect sense as a Mario Party host, or the person who hands out the stars in a Super Mario Galaxy themed board.

I think she means in MPX

Magikrazy said:
You can't have one Koopaling without the others.
There is only 6 Zetis against 7 Koopalings so who is going to fill it if they were elected as playable?

Kyon said:
Mario Party Σ said:
Cirdec said:
It made even less sense when she was playable in Mario Party
I don't get this one. She's a mario character; a fairly popular one at that, of course she's going to be added to spin-off rosters. That's where those characters go.

She's a commonplace mario character now. It's not really out of the blue either, it began with MKWii and it's progressed to here. The whole 'she doesn't fit into these games' thing is kind of stupid too since there's no criteria for who can and can't be playable in a spin-off of all things.
It's not a good progression, I feel. She was introduced in Galaxy 1, was placed in Mario Kart Wii, and she was actually absent for a bit (not there in Brawl, Mario Party 9, Mario Sports Mix, Fortune Street, Mario Tennis Open, Super Sluggers, Mario & Sonic, only small appearances in Island Tour and Galaxy 2). It's a progression, but you imply it's a gradual progression rather than one day, we want her in one game, the next day, she's shoe-horned in EVERY game.

There isn't a criteria, but Rosalina's integration as playable in these spinoffs is handled very poorly.

You could say the same about a lot of characters inclusion. Daisy for example appeared in Super Mario Land then suddenly showed up in spin-offs years later. Mario Tennis and MP3 after a couple of years, there was no 'gradual progression'. There doesn't have to be, the only reason you don't like it is because she's 'shoe-horned' in but I think you're just plain wrong. You can't shoe-horn her in when she fits in as a new mario series character. Just because she's relatively new doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to be in games.

I don't see where this 'she has to be integrated properly' mentality comes from, how should she be integrated lgm? Making cameos for 10 years then giving her a spot in one spin-off? That's dumb, they have a character that stands out and people like so they have literally no reason to shelf her instead of putting her in these games that are supposed to bring mario universe characters together.

Seriously, I can't understand your point of view on this.

Kyon said:
You could say the same about a lot of characters inclusion. Daisy for example appeared in Super Mario Land then suddenly showed up in spin-offs years later. Mario Tennis and MP3 after a couple of years, there was no 'gradual progression'. There doesn't have to be, the only reason you don't like it is because she's 'shoe-horned' in but I think you're just plain wrong. You can't shoe-horn her in when she fits in as a new mario series character. Just because she's relatively new doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to be in games.

I don't see where this 'she has to be integrated properly' mentality comes from, how should she be integrated lgm? Making cameos for 10 years then giving her a spot in one spin-off? That's dumb, they have a character that stands out and people like so they have literally no reason to shelf her instead of putting her in these games that are supposed to bring mario universe characters together.

Seriously, I can't understand your point of view on this.
Unlike Daisy, though, fans were expecting Rosalina in those titles I mentioned unlike Daisy, who kind of faded into obscurity until Mario Tennis and Mario Party 3 came. They're two different cases.

I never argued that seniority is completely tied to how deserving she is, but Rosalina should've been playable in those games like Fortune Street and Mario Sports Mix and Mario Super Sluggers and all, especially before Super Mario 3D World and Smush came around; she is a fan favorite unlike Daisy, but she should work with more consistent appearances first before being outright playable in a major mainstream Mario platformer and a major Nintendo game, Super Smash Bros., before a lot of other longstay Mario veterans, who are also fan favorites.

Now, I still think she has no business in Mario Party 10 because it's simply unsuitable for her compared to kart racing, golfing, and perhaps even fighting. She was portrayed as a calm Mario character who can receive a little slapstick here and there, but not to the point where she becomes a ridiculous ditz in Mario Party, which handles its slapstick differently than Mario Kart or Mario Golf.

@lgm nintendo can do whatever it wants with rosalina, there's no precedent to uphold her 'calm personality' because in nintendo's eyes she's become just another mario character with popularity they can capitalise on by including her in whatever titles they please. consistency be damned, if anything it's probably an indication that rosalina wasn't that popular around the time that super sluggers and those other titles you mentioned were released

considering the way you unlock rosalina in MKWii and the appearance of funky kong of all characters it seems like nintendo was just a) promoting Mario Galaxy with rosalina's inclusion and b) padding MKWii's roster with more characters. i really doubt nintendo expected her popularity to grow so much after that

has there ever been an interview (iwata asks perhaps) where they've given the reason for including rosalina in SM3DW? i feel like it would shed some light on their reasons for including her in everything now

god why do i care anyway

Just to let you know about this "leak". Please tell sonicstadium.org about this (they're the ones who spread those "leaks" through the internet).

PeDaRoYs said:
-Rugby 7s with 3 Marios, 2 Sonics, Diddy Kong, Boom Booms and Egg Pawns
-Rosalina, Daisy, Peach and a female Mii competing in Synchronize Swimming

I'm not really sure if that's really Rosalina since these screenshots were placed in a grid and in low quality.
Don't confirm it yet. We just going to wait until E3.
I think that the Rugby 7s screenshot is just a development screenshot. I don't know if you can do multiple Marios in this game.

I still don't understand your point of view lgm, everything you just said I've already heard you say and its repetition isn't flipping any switches. She needs to be more 'consistent'. Why? Because your own hierarchy of the value of mario characters says that she's not quite there yet? Her 'personality' says she doesn't fit in so that means she's 'shoe-horned' in?
That's dumb, they have a character that stands out and people like so they have literally no reason to shelf her instead of putting her in these games that are supposed to bring mario universe characters together.

I don't think I can see it the way you do, I don't think you can explain it and get me to understand you so this discussion is pretty redundant at this point. All I've gotten is that you think she is being shoe-horned and I think that's a load of bullshit.

Meta Knight said:
Glitchy said:
Mario Party Σ said:
Cirdec said:

I think she means in MPX

I know, I meant that she would make perfect sense as a host in Mario Party 10.

I guess we have to agree to disagree on this part. I don't understand how I can see your side of the argument, but you think my kind of argument is inconceivable.

You haven't even read my point where Rosalina is playable before other Mario veterans. Not that she "replaces" them, but it's still a whaaaaat?

And no, now I think "she's there". Grudgingly of course.

Back