Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

if i can't get an eggman/b joons doubles match going i will be very upset

Lumastar said:
Of course, if that BS system returns you will only be able to use Mario, Luigi, Sonic, and Tails. Hopefully that is not the case.
there were quite a few complaints so i believe not

I remember it when it was a novel concept, now it's being milked to death.

If it actually had improvements over the other games then I wouldn't call it out for being more the same.

Well to be fair I think the IOC of the Olympics themselves could possibly be part of the blame is that they probably in part fund/commission the Olympic Games as promotion for the Olympics coming up. The first three games sold so well that even when the Sochi game bombed (Probably partly because the Wii U as a whole wasn't doing so well and it was a Wii U exclusive. Not even having a 3DS version of any sort) they still felt it's worth continuing.

I think it's at least a little better then the yearly EA Sports games in that it's not just about simulating the sport year after year, but also bringing two very well-known Video Game franchises in one place. And representing them equally.

On it's own merits the Olympic Games are probably the best Olympic related video games anyway. The Olympic Committee wants promotion stuff people will actually buy. And combining two cash cows of gaming does that.

At the very least this should probably do much better then Sochi did given that the Wii U by now is in alot more households thanks to Mario Kart, Smash Bros., and other games. And it will have a handheld port again. I just hope they keep and even improve upon a few things that were actually good about Sochi 2014. Like the Online Multiplayer (Hopefully with alot more events) and the special victory animations between certain duos.

Yeah I would certainly agree what the Mario & Sonic games have to offer than the yearly EA sports things. Ugh.

Interesting that rugby is one of the sports. I wonder if Americans would treat it as a suitable substitute for American football when both sports are similar.

However, I'm a bit disappointed that golf is only exclusive to the 3DS, since the Dream event should be interesting to see for the Wii U. Besides, the 3DS already has Mario Golf: World Tour.

Thanks for reading.

Northern Verve said:
Eggman's boosting Animation or "Get a load of this"?

Cause the latter originated in the first Sonic Adventure
yeah the latter, i remember watching gameplay of lots of sonic games so i got confused

eggman's boosting animation though, i have no idea where it's from

winstein said:
I wonder if Americans would treat it as a suitable substitute for American football when both sports are similar.

knowing americans, they wouldn't

except for if they rename it american football for the NA release.

Whatever the sports these games do, a dedicated Mario sports game does it better. Because no Sonic. :V

Mario Party Σ said:
Whatever the sports these games do, a dedicated Mario sports game does it better. Because no Sonic. :V

you don't say that a game dedicated on a single sport does it way better....?

earth revolves around the sun
the sky is blue
fire is hot

Well, duh, I'm not stupid.

I haven't elaborated on my point, that's the problem. I mean, why bother playing the hockey variants in Mario & Sonic when Mario Sports Mix does it better? Or the soccer variants?

But I do like some rugby, but I don't have high expectations for it. I'd rather have an entire game of it. :P

I actually forgot Sonic,Amy,Knuckles,and Eggman looked like that. I guess I seen too much Sonic Boom.

If Rosalina ever appears as playable, who will be her rival?

If equestrian returns, this game would be the perfect time for Rosalina to wear her winter outfit, along with her gymnastic outfit and her athletic outfit. Also if tennis includes as an event, bonus points for her tennis outfit. BOOM!

Mario Party Σ said:
I haven't elaborated on my point, that's the problem. I mean, why bother playing the hockey variants in Mario & Sonic when Mario Sports Mix does it better? Or the soccer variants?

Cause some of us are filthy Sonic fans that want to play as their favorite characters from that franchise in said sports :V

Even if it's true Mario Sports Mix and the solo sport Mario titles ought to have better gameplay overall with less games to implement. But it wouldn't be the Olympics if there were only a few sports available.

I'd say they should just focus on the dream events though rather than the "true" Olympics. Dream Events always seem to be the best part of these games.

Which is why I hate London 3DS even more.

A few minutes ago, these screenshots popped out from the Rio 2016 official blog (http://www.rio2016.com/blog/en/). Were removed minutes later. It's probably a leak.
MS_Rio_Unison_JHavelangeOlympicStadium_2nd_45.jpg

MS_Rio_Unison_Sambodromo_02.jpg

MS_Rio_Unison_BeachVolleyballArena_3rd_26.jpg

Other photos were:
-Sonic competing in Archery
-Zazz (against Yoshi) preparing to serve in Table Tennis.
-Rugby 7s with 3 Marios, 2 Sonics, Diddy Kong, Boom Booms and Egg Pawns
-Rosalina, Daisy, Peach and a female Mii competing in Synchronize Swimming

Am I reading it right that there are multiple Marios in Rugby 7s? That would be funny to look at. In fact, I would like to see multiple Eggmans playing that game.

The Sonic balloon looks kind of weird with it being the top body without the legs. It's probably not as weird as a floating head. Now that I think about it, a floating Mario head would be suitable here.

As expected, Rosalina is one of the playable characters.

Thanks for reading.

Back