post any random Mario thought on your mind

Lack of talking don't bother me too much but expression is nice.

Mind you sometimes it's hard to find a place to put that in depending on the genre of game.

Magikrazy said:
This thought just came to me, but maybe Nintendo really keeps most of their characters quiet so they don't have to pay the voice actors as much.
When you have one guy voicing the majority of your characters, it could also be that Nintendo doesn't want to unnecessarily burden him.

Magikrazy said:
This thought just came to me, but maybe Nintendo really keeps most of their characters quiet so they don't have to pay the voice actors as much.

I do know that the "The Legend of Zelda" franchise didn't do very much, if any voice acting before Breath of the Wild. And even in Breath of the Wild, voice acting is pretty much limited.

Time Turner said:
Magikrazy said:
When you have one guy voicing the majority of your characters, it could also be that Nintendo doesn't want to unnecessarily burden him.

well they should get more voice actors for that then.

The problem with Mario characters voice acting is that they really don't say much besides sounds and a couple of catch phrases.

Of course , Nintendo clearly goes with the route of having a certain sound to make them stay ''iconic'' even if they lines are limited , but since theres not much material to work with i guess it would be a waste to hire mainstream voice actors.

Pretty much the recurring Mario cast is composed by voice actors that only are active in their Mario roles.

You don't hear anything from Sam Kelly outside of her Princess Peach and others ; Same with Deanna Mustard.

Even some characters are just voiced by the company's staff like Kazumi Totaka.

It's just not necessary to have a Laura Bailey or a Roger Craig Smith for any of this.

Swiftie_Luma said:
Pretty much the recurring Mario cast is composed by voice actors that only are active in their Mario roles.

For whatever reason, with a few recent exceptions (Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus mostly), NOA doesn't like to hire established voice actors (for cost or proximity reasons, I assume). Star Fox Assault is one example, where a good chunk of the cast do/did commercials and radio voiceover but never voiced in a video game or cartoon before or after the game.

Swiftie_Luma said:
The problem with Mario characters voice acting is that they really don't say much besides sounds and a couple of catch phrases.
The one exception would be Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour. But other than that, we got squat.

Zae Eildus said:
Time Turner said:
Magikrazy said:

well they should get more voice actors for that then.

The real reason is that it's largely a needless expense as the vast majority of people don't care.

People like us, who go on forums and talk in detail about it. We are the minority.

Mcmadness said:
People like us, who go on forums and talk in detail about it. We are the minority.
But but but
Th-that can't be true! Our opinions are the most important and should be at the front of Nintendo's agenda! Especially mine! :posh:
/sarcasm

In any case, all we can really do is accept the voice clips, and hope they don't get recycled too much in one game.

The discussion is about voice acting, though my concern is the lack of text bubbles that are given to Mario and Luigi. You don't need voice acting to make them speak.

Glowsquid said:
Swiftie_Luma said:

For whatever reason, with a few recent exceptions (Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus mostly), NOA doesn't like to hire established voice actors (for cost or proximity reasons, I assume). Star Fox Assault is one example, where a good chunk of the cast do/did commercials and radio voiceover but never voiced in a video game or cartoon before or after the game.

I would assume FE and KI have that because they have considerably more dialogue than any Mario game.

Mario himself rarely speaks , even with text. it's always the other characters that speak to him , he rarely does on his own.

Nintendo is one of those companies that has a very limited talent pool in most of their games.

The Mario cast as stated are composed mostly by local actors and actresses. With this i mean people who basically live next to NOA recording studios.

I know this was the case for Kerri Kane. She could not keep her role as Rosalina because she was moving away from Seattle., which is the location of the recording studios.

I think one exception for this rule is Martinet . i read somewhere he lives far away but travels ocassionally everytime Nintendo needs more Mario voice clips (and other characters) .

Mario voices are also kept simple because only a few characters have 1 unique voice actor or actress , while the rest are either voiced by Charles or Sam.

I like how Shy Guy is voiced by one of the NOA staff :)

Recently I thought it would be cool if Pauline used her handbag like Coco Adel does in RWBY, complete with a gatling gun.

Are there any Mario characters who say their names (as in voiced, not written in text), but have a non-universal name?

To illustrate what I mean, take Mario as an example. Mario likes to say his name, but he's also a character that is called Mario in every country in the world. The same goes for Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, Peach, Daisy and Yoshi (note for the princesses: their names are being said, not the "Princess" part). Even Donkey Kong mumbled his name when given the chance! Maybe the Baby characters, but their names are still the same, with "Baby" added.

In Super Mario Sunshine, Bowser (I don't recall his name being even said in the cutscenes) addressed his son as "Junior", and that might be universal only because I don't think this game was made for other territories that used the name differently (Russian, Chinese). It could be an example if at that time Spanish used the Bowsy moniker. Since then, Bowser Jr's name has never been said out loud, from what I remember.

My observation might be limited, because I never heard of Toad, Toadette and Rosalina (examples) saying their own names in the games. I realised this when I heard the Super Mario Baseball credits, where Toad said "Yee-ha!" instead. Notice that these characters have different names in Japanese, for example (Kinopio, Kinopiko and Rosetta respectively).

Perhaps Shy Guy is one example, as while their mumbles might be hard to hear, it sounded like they are saying their Japanese name "Hei-ho".

Any examples of Mario characters saying their name, but are not universal across all languages?

Thanks for reading.

"Toadette's the winner!"
"Toad...won!"

Birdo!

winstein said:
My observation might be limited, because I never heard of Toad, Toadette and Rosalina (examples) saying their own names in the games.
Thanks for reading.
Toad and Toadette say their own names in Mario Party 8, to say the least. I also think Toadette yells her name in Mario Party: Star Rush.

Preview ♥♥♥

Im not gonna stop until this issue is fixed in EVERY (CLAP) SINGLE (CLAP) GAME (CLAP)

Except well , the Rio olympics 3ds because the compression is stupid and well that game is trash , so i pretend it doesnt exist.

Next target : Sports SuperStars.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Birdo!

winstein said:
My observation might be limited, because I never heard of Toad, Toadette and Rosalina (examples) saying their own names in the games.
Thanks for reading.
Toad and Toadette say their own names in Mario Party 8, to say the least. I also think Toadette yells her name in Mario Party: Star Rush.

If that's the case, I wonder if those voices are retained in the Japanese version, where they are not known as Toad or Toadette.

Thanks for reading.

Pretty sure they are. I would have found voice clips in the .brsar otherwise.

Baby Luigi said:
Pretty sure they are. I would have found voice clips in the .brsar otherwise.

With that, I am now curious on what the Japanese think when they heard either character saying their English names in the games instead of the Japanese ones. It also makes me wonder if, similar to some Pokemon fans, the Japanese insist on using a certain language of names even if that name is foreign, as in they insist on naming her Rosalina even though it's supposed to be Rosetta. (If you don't know what I mean, some Pokemon fans, at least on Bulbagarden, insist on the Japanese names like Lizardon and Satoshi instead of the English's Charizard and Ash)

Thanks for reading.

I guess characters speaking in English is like Marth and Roy speaking in Japanese, maybe they hear complete gibberish or it's like in Pokemon where some Pokes say their Japanese names (which I believe I've heard when I was parsing through that Wii Poke Park game).

Back