Nintendo Switch

1 2 Switch GOTY 2017

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters
PS did create PS+ and charged for it. Nintendo is now doing it for the same damn reason presumably.

I'm not going to defend the switch or anything because I'm pretty much indifferent to it, but can someone explain to me getting upset about being 'forced' to buy virtual console games again? I don't get it, like I already own Paper Mario on the Wii VC and irregardless of whether it's released on the Wii U VC and the Switch VC I can still always play it on my Wii where I bought it. It's the same game no matter what console I'm playing it on.

The only thing I can thinks of is selling old consoles, but you'd have to sell all the games you bought with it anyway considering you no longer have the console to play them and backwards compatibility doesn't always exist. It's like selling my n64 and getting mad that I can't play my copy of Mario Tennis anymore and being 'forced' to buy it again on the VC with the money I just got from pawning off my good old n64.

compare the practice to other console manufactuers or even steam who all link games to accounts rather than consoles and allow you to play games without being tied down to a single brick and its very archaic to have to repurchase a game or charge an amount if you want to play it on the new hardware with the emulation features the wii doesnt have or have it all in one place for convenience instead of having to switch hdmi cables etc

I can think of one situation, and that's when the console or its wires break down after all these years, and you can't find easily a replacement. You'll have to buy the games again, no other choice. It would be nice to know that your game is always available without having to buy it again, even if your console is dead and you must change it.

Hm, I see then. I was under the impression there was some sort of account-tied stuff since I was able to re-download all the games I had deleted off my original 3DS over the years back onto my New 3DS once I got it just by using the same NNID.

the games are technically already tied to the accounts but I'm assuming you had to perform a system transfer before you could use that account ID to redownload games you'd deleted so there really isnt much wiggle room at all yeah even though there should be. atm nintendo accounts can only be used on one console at any one given time and its pretty bad. Not to mention I think there's a limit on the amount of system transfers an account can take before the thing goes "no you cant move your games around anymore"

like for compatibility sake i can understand having to charge a small fee to upgrade between generations but when i cant actually play those games anywhere else other than that console then why bother

i hope nintendo fixes this stuff with the switch and MyNintendo and part of me is hoping that nintendo will allow you to purchase vc titles (or even mk8 deluxe) for a discount if it detects you own them on another console or hell just redownload them on the switch

This also reminds me that nintendo offers some VC games on both systems and yet crossbuy is not a thing even though other companies do it and nintendo has had promos like that in the past for other games

Rohan Kishibe said:
Luigi 64DD said:
Glowsquid said:
>"free games" for the online subscription are only playable for one month
I think it works like this: you get Super Mario Bros. for one month. When that month ends you get a different game, like The Legend of Zelda. When that month ends you get Super Mario Bros. 2, etc. Of course those are only examples. Just in case there was any confusion.
no its just you get that game for the month and no longer.
Oh yeah, that's what I meant, I just failed to say it correctly. :???:

I like most aspects of the Switch reveal. The first thing I love about it are the games.
  • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey are fantastic, because they widen the horizons for both franchises.
  • Splatoon 2 feels fresh, even though it's already fresh for the first game. I feel like this game will feel different from the original since there are several changes, such as different Specials and the way some weapons work. Even though I can be flimsy with Blasters, I hope those weapons return as a new class.
  • Arms look really exciting, I can feel it, even though I don't necessarily see it. I hope it is a success because it's a new Nintendo IP that is colourful, like Splatoon.
  • I also love Mario Kart 8 Deluxe only because it looks like it will offer a different experience by making Battle Mode quite active, considering most people love this style of battle. The Inklings are quite a cool addition too. I know Miis aren't a popular choice, but I hope they are still in that game. I probably might have to get it again, but I feel like it's not a priority.
  • 1-2-Switch looks like a fun game in practice, while Snipperclips is a very cute and adorable game. I seem to think that those games are developed by Nintendo, only because it reminded me of aspects in Game & Wario (former for the oddball humour and simple artsyle, latter because it uses the same font).
  • A new Bomberman game! It's very well-suited for the Nintendo Switch, since it is a quintessential local multiplayer game.
  • Although I got Rayman Legends for the Wii U already, I think it's cool to see that there will be a Definitive Edition for the Switch. Even better is that some games have enhanced or better editions, namely Disgaea 5 and Dragon Quest Warriors. They're games that I am not much interested in, but I think that it provides a nice incentive since they are complete packages.
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris is being localised! I think this is the real highlight for me, mainly because Puyo Puyo usually don't get localised. It's only mentioned in the third-party games reel, but Puyo Puyo is simply recognisable. Can't wait to hear the localised characters' voices again, which is something I liked about Puyo Pop Fever.

The hardware looks quite nice as well. It's a relief that a lot of people who got hands-on with the hardware felt that it's generally great, namely the controls and the screen. It might be a bit pricey, but it's got quite a nice slew of features that gives it a lot of potential.

The accompanying parental video is quite nice, showing Bowser and Bowser Jr. having family time.

There are quite a few that are a bummer, though. The first is that there is a paid subscription for playing online (hopefully it's as cheap as possible, less than US40$), and the second is the price, only because Malaysia's currency is not so good, and by the time I decided to get a Switch, I hope the conversion rate from US Dollar to Malaysia Ringgit is smaller.

Thanks for reading.

But all them hip radical youngsters always be Tony Hawkin' it on their smartphones with their earbuds and iTunes, ya dig it?

this is from reddit

7b3f7e1163e84811af64d802f0f76bb9

i think there's enough here for me to justify buying it. I can spot 5 games (Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade, FE Warriors, Tales) i'm pretty much guaranteed to go for already, only two of which are probably not going to be exclusive, I'd find it hard to believe the Tales series would ditch playstation completely when most of their player base is there now (the other is zelda on wiiu). Then there's a couple of others I may or may not get, I'd have to see how I feel about it when they come around.

I'm concerned by the lack of AAA third party games here. Simpply put the Switch to succeed, it has to get at least a good proportion of these games on the console or else it would get left lonely just like the Wii U did with thrid parties. There's claims there's over 80 games in development for the switch from third parties so there's clearly a lot games for the switch that haven't been announced so we'll see how it plays out throughout the year. E3 will be a very good indicator to see how good third party support will be for the switch.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/16/14285146/nintendo-switch-joy-con-grip-charging-not-bundled

lmao the charging situation sounds like a mess

It sounds like it won't be an issue if they have 20 hours of life and charge when attached to the switch.

If they managed to make me play a game for 20 hours straight then I'd be more impressed than upset. I'd also probably not pass out immediately.

The Switch will probably do good if it is heavily marketed. The Wii U sold poorly because of terrible marketing.

and because of price

idk why people forget price is a super important factor

anyway, the charging is a mess. you can only charge the controller by connecting it to the console or a $30 battery, both of which need to be charged too. and then if you have multiple joy cons, you need to buy the $30 battery anyway ON TOP of the $80 joycon.

have fun

Nabber said:
and because of price

idk why people forget price is a super important factor

anyway, the charging is a mess. you can only charge the controller by connecting it to the console or a $30 battery, both of which need to be charged too. and then if you have multiple joy cons, you need to buy the $30 battery anyway ON TOP of the $80 joycon.

have fun
And that too.

I hope the Switch does not turn out to be like the PS Vita.

Nabber said:
or just take the charged joycons off once they're done and place the other ones on there for the low price of minimal effort.

what if they're both empty and you have friends over and need to charge them at the same time

this is something that has happened to me multiple times with wii remotes, but I could just plug new batteries into them

Pre-ordered this morning. Put the deposit down for the console, Zelda, Bomberman and 12Switch. Will decide closer to the day about whether I really want 12Switch and /or Bomberman. Regardless, I'm gonna have a rad birthday on the 4th :b

Charge them in advance?

Unlike wii remotes you don't need to replace batteries to use these, you just need to throw them on a dock for a few hours beforehand. Wii remotes don't charge so it's a whole different situation anyway. In your scenario I assume your main purpose for having the extra joy-cons is to use with friends; you wouldn't even need to charge them every day. Charge them and then throw them in a corner until you actually use them.

You don't need to buy a $30 battery at all, you only 'need' it if you can't bring forth the effort to slap your sticks on a dock when they're low on power.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nicalis/status/819771205393661954

cool

i expect the steam version to have joycon functionality in the future maybe

Back