Nintendo Switch

1 2 Switch GOTY 2017

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters
We have an official response about this:

http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/19/14313914/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-last-nintendo-game-for-wii-u

so, the servers won't be closed with the launch of the Switch, it seems that activity is an important factor to decide whether or not keeping the servers working.

I mean, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Wii U should still be fairly popular online.

goddamn, the last game for the wii u and it's not even the version most people will buy

rest in peace wii u, may you prosper in the hall of disappointing consoles along with the dreamcast and atari jaguar

The Wii U failed for numerous confusions. Not clarifying what the system was for the casuals of the Wii is a big reason why it failed.

Granted, the Wii U outsold the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast but it is Nintendo's least successful console selling less than the GameCube.

Kamina said:
goddamn, the last game for the wii u and it's not even the version most people will buy
Wasn't this pretty much what they did with the Gamecube and Twilight Princess?

Tuxedo Ridley said:
Kamina said:
you're right it was, probably not coincidental it was the other home console flop from nintendo

and if you take away the two versions stuff, majora's mask came out at the tail end of the n64's lifespan and iirc skyward sword was the last 1st party game for the wii. I think we have a trend here

Kamina said:
Tuxedo Ridley said:
Kamina said:
you're right it was, probably not coincidental it was the other home console flop from nintendo

and if you take away the two versions stuff, majora's mask came out at the tail end of the n64's lifespan and iirc skyward sword was the last 1st party game for the wii. I think we have a trend here

That's mostly because it was released close to the end of the GCN lifecycle.

The GameCube was a success despite losing to the PS2's massive numbers.

It's a bit sad that Color Splash is the last Mario game for the Wii U.

Baby Luigi said:
Because you don't think it's great or because it was soon forgotten and ignored sales- and discussions-wise?

Pretty much both.

The Switch looks so great. My most-hyped game is by far Mario Odyssey, though it's a bummer it's so far out. I will admit I was really hoping for it at launch. The fact that the Switch is already sold out everywhere also worries me. Hopefully I can snag a pre-order at some point before launch.

i'm pretty excited for switch. i don't have enough cash to get it at launch, but there's enough games on it that i'm definitely gonna pick it up sometime this year.
the online sounds... a bit strange, to put it nicely, but i'm reserving full judgement until they actually announce all the details, particularly the price. of course, i don't play online very much at all, so i might not even end up getting it, but we'll see i suppose.

The Wii U wasn't exactly disappointing, it just didn't sell well. It had some great games like Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros. U, and Super Mario Maker.

Luigi 64DD said:
The Wii U wasn't exactly disappointing, it just didn't sell well. It had some great games like Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros. U, and Super Mario Maker.
True. Mario Kart 8, and then Smash 4 did help increase the Wii U's sales. And then other big hits of 2015 for the Wii U helped increase sales as well.

Watched this great video by Arlo that may give a more positive view on the Switch

Baby Luigi said:

The Wii U also stopped the tradition of the last Mario game released on a home console to be a Mario Party game.

Luigi 64DD said:

Don't forget Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World.

Wait, that's a tradition? It happened only with the Wii and DS IIRC.

Baby Luigi said:
Wait, that's a tradition? It happened only with the Wii and DS IIRC.

Mario Party 3:
This is the final Mario game released for the Nintendo 64 internationally (except for Australia, where Paper Mario was the last Mario game), six months before the release of Luigi's Mansion on the Nintendo GameCube.

Mario Party 7:
This was the last Mario game released for the Nintendo GameCube in Europe and Australia. In Japan and North America, Super Mario Strikers holds this distinction.

Mario Party 9:
This is also the twenty-fifth and the final Mario series installment overall to be released for the Wii console.

I like how all of these trivia points have to make exceptions for different regional releases.

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/25/rocket-league-developer-on-nintendo-switch-were-excited-fingers-crossed/

god PLEASE

it would need rocket league and memewatch because then with splatoon 2 it would be an amazing console for multiplayer online for me and worth whatever bs online rates theyre gonna charge

I pre-ordered mine online today. I was contemplating getting it in-store but it's a hassle since there's none nearby. I'm not really hyped or in too much of a hurry to play it so it's fine if it doesn't show up until a couple days after launch.

Haven't pre-ordered any games but ozgameshop does have the price for Breath of the Wild now. I'll hold off for a little bit because my wallet is hurting already. For better or for worse I appreciate only having one interesting game during the launch window.

2 things:
1. Holy shit it's been a year since I posted here.
2. Okay this loooks tons and tons better than the Wii U. It seems Nintendo is finally stepping up their game (no pun intended) and made me fall in love with them again!

Back