Nintendo Switch

1 2 Switch GOTY 2017

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters
This might've already been discussed, but I'm concerned about the paid online feature when paired with games like Splatoon 2 that practically require online services to get the full feeling of the game. If online services cost ten dollars, which is around the average for services like that, and Splatoon 2 would cost sixty dollars as predicted, if you played Splatoon 2 for a year, the game would essentially cost one-hundred sixty dollars, which is a bit ridiculous. Unless I misunderstood how the online services work.

http://nintendotoday.com/switch-app-matchmaking/#.WIAQ3fL9Zwg.twitter

Reggie said:
The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we’ve got an elegant solution. That’s a very specific answer to your question.

What exactly am I reading here?

It looks like they're trying to find a simpler way to be able to chat with friends and connect those specific friends so you can play together. Although connecting with friends was never an issue to begin with.

I see what you're saying, but there's something about the whole statement that seems... off? I don't know, online matchmaking through a smart phone app seems nonsensical. Maybe I'm just interpreting that wrong.

It's just PR damage control, so I'm not surprised to how difficult it is for them to cover their ass.

i think this is the dumbest solution looking for a problem ive ever seen from nintendo.

"whats a headset reggie"
"doesnt that go in your phone"

way to kill literally any motivation to play online multiplayer or rather pay for that privledge

im willing to see if this works or not but it sounds so convoluted and unnecessary when other consoles can handle that simple task without using external hardware

Yeah sounds a bit strange for sure. I understand not bothering with headsets while on the go but those hands-free things they have for phones would probably work well. I guess an app would mean they could integrate it with the new parental controls but I can't think of any other reason for it.

They're just out of touch with reality.

Nintendo just Nintendo'd again. I don't see why we're surprised at this point; Nintendo has a track record of weird *bleep* they keep pulling off and acting as if they're proud of it.

people are like "stop complaining about paid online, you don't complain about other companies" but like... nintendo's had over a decade to get their shit together and they still don't know how to do online right

i'm not happy about subscriptions for other consoles, but at least they offer genuinely good services

Nabber said:
i'm not happy about subscriptions for other consoles, but at least they offer genuinely good services
From what we've been told, it sounds like we're paying for what we were able to do on the Wii and Wii U for free. It doesn't sound like anything has changed or improved to make paying for it worthwhile.

Roserade said:
This might've already been discussed, but I'm concerned about the paid online feature when paired with games like Splatoon 2 that practically require online services to get the full feeling of the game. If online services cost ten dollars, which is around the average for services like that, and Splatoon 2 would cost sixty dollars as predicted, if you played Splatoon 2 for a year, the game would essentially cost one-hundred sixty dollars, which is a bit ridiculous. Unless I misunderstood how the online services work.

It is seriously stupid if they are going to charge online play, considering it was free on the Wii U and 3DS. But when you think about it, it may be to play on the go, considering the things you saw in the Switch trailer, as that would be more reasonable.

But you'd still be paying every month, and I'm less likely to play Splatoon on the go rather than at my house with my own Wi-Fi. Making a payable online service for exclusively on the go makes even less sense.

Roserade said:
But you'd still be paying every month, and I'm less likely to play Splatoon on the go rather than at my house with my own Wi-Fi. Making a payable online service for exclusively on the go makes even less sense.

Do not forget if they are making a service for on the go, Nintendo has to pay for it, and they want to have that function, they need people to pay for it. Even though that is probably not the case, it makes complete sense to me.

If the main reason they're making you pay is for the voice chat, then it's annoying because I won't use it unless my siblings who have moved out get a Switch, which is not likely to happen. However, if you can have internet on the go with it, perhaps it won't be so bad after all.

OmegaVenomous said:
Roserade said:

Do not forget if they are making a service for on the go, Nintendo has to pay for it, and they want to have that function, they need people to pay for it. Even though that is probably not the case, it makes complete sense to me.
Okay, I think I misinterpreted what you said as in, you'd have to establish your own hotspot and then pay to play in that hotspot. Did you mean that they'd be supplying their own Wi-Fi services?

Roserade said:
OmegaVenomous said:
Roserade said:

Okay, I think I misinterpreted what you said as in, you'd have to establish your own hotspot and then pay to play in that hotspot. Did you mean that they'd be supplying their own Wi-Fi services?

Well, what I mean is that you are paying 10 dollars a month to supply yourself with all the Wi-Fi features for the Switch if you are on the go and cannot get Wi-Fi on the go. Sorry if I am confusing you, I am confusing myself as well.

well most services include bonuses as they proceed with their services so we might see more stuff later on as well.

To clear up the confusion heres an article which sums up the online features that have been announced by Nintendo itself quite nicely

https://amp.businessinsider.com/nintendo-switch-online-gaming-service-features-details-2017-1

587fb0c0f10a9acc1c8b8a86-480-235.jpg

There is no wifi being offered by Nintendo to play the switch on the go at all. You provide the wifi yourself, and can still access limited features (such as the ability to give nintendo money through the eshop), but if you want to play online multiplayer, you must pay a subscription fee that has yet to be priced.

If you want to voice chat, you have to pay as well, but you also dont do it natively through the switch, you do it through an app on your phone. Its shaping up to be like a worse skype or discord.

To "sweeten the deal" Nintendo has promised a free monthly game download but the catch is there is only 1, and its only a NES title, and its only available for the month, then you have to buy it because LOL

its every bit inferior to services offered by sony and microsoft and its disappointing because nintendo had the ability to make this a really worthwhile service but pretty much nintendo'd it to a laughable state.

yeah thats pretty bad but maybe they'll learn in time but im not getting too hopeful.

Nabber said:
people are like "stop complaining about paid online, you don't complain about other companies"

Weird, because I'm definitely complaining about other companies. It's just that, Nintendo is totally unique on how bad it can be.

The article said:
"Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month."
Also from article said:
"Essentially you've got access to that game for a period of time, and then after the month there's a new selection. You'll have the opportunity to buy it, but [after] that month we've moved on to another game."
Rohan Kishibe said:
To "sweeten the deal" Nintendo has promised a free monthly game download but the catch is there is only 1, and its only a NES title, and its only available for the month, then you have to buy it because LOL
The way you explained it was a little misleading.

It's pretty much the same, but GBA's post was put in a more negative, honest light.

Zae Eildus said:
yeah thats pretty bad but maybe they'll learn in time but im not getting too hopeful.
I don't know man, they usually don't learn from Nintendo'ing (look at how they do Virtual Console and online for all these years.......). If they do, they'll Nintendo it on another thing.

It will likely keep going, just like the Wii had, even though the Wii U is released.

I remember the Wii online got shut down May 2014, and the Wii U was released 2012.

Funnily enough, I can still play Goldeneye Wii online, because it isn't Nintendo who are in charge of the servers.

Back