Same sex marriage

I really wish religion has nothing to do with this discussion. But you get prominent political figures and their stupid talking points that bring up their precious sky daddy and get parroted to no end about he hates homosexual sinners. Fortunately, they're apparently a shrinking demographic, and I hope we don't have to ever go back to that period where people hid behind a goddang fairy tale book written hundreds of years before the Scientific Revolution to justify oppressing a minority.

Mario Party X said:
I really wish religion has nothing to do with this discussion. But you get prominent political figures and their stupid talking points that bring up their precious sky daddy and get parroted to no end about he hates homosexual sinners. Fortunately, they're apparently a shrinking demographic, and I hope we don't have to ever go back to that period where people hid behind a goddang fairy tale book written hundreds of years before the Scientific Revolution to justify oppressing a minority.
wow it's like a knife in the heart with you, isn't it

Being subtle isn't one of my specialties.

Hoxton said:
Mario Party X said:
wow it's like a knife in the heart with you, isn't it
It's almost like I'm a bleeding heart liberal.

Magikrazy said:
So where would you guys draw the line on who can marry?
me personally, i wouldn't have people marry under aged children and animals

i have no bias against people who want to marry inanimate objects, as long as it's not something gory

also both participants need to be willing, unless the other participant is an inanimate object

here's where the line should be drawn with marriage:

are all parties involved in the marriage consenting to the marriage, and are of age? good, it should be allowed

Nabber said:

are all parties involved in the marriage consenting to the marriage, and are of age? good, it should be allowed
Siblings?

you know, wes anderson has tackled both children getting married and love between siblings, along with love between animals and love between a child and a teacher. what's he up to

there wouldn't be a problem with siblings marrying except for the health problems that come from procreation. but that doesn't really have anything to do with the legal marriage, so i guess that doesn't matter?

eh i don't know what i'm talking about

Magikrazy said:
Nabber said:

Siblings?
Nabber said:

Mario Party X said:

There is nothing wrong with being a faithful christian if it isn't used as a platform for intolerance or means to directly or indirectly bring harm to others.

Mario Party X said:

and this is why spiritual discussions never end well

There is nothing wrong with being a faithful christian if it isn't used as a platform for intolerance or means to directly or indirectly bring harm to others.

yeah pretty much

sometimes faith can really boost a persons views of the world and their life, so for some people its hope, which is something some non-believers make fun of.

silly.

Mario Party X said:

that sounds like something richard dawkins would say

Baby Luigi said:
Mario Party X said:

that sounds like something richard dawkins would say

richard dawkins is an awfully caustic person, but he has some valid things to say

yeah but he's like, REALLY anti-religion.

I admit, I'm strictly anti-religion and I do agree with some of what Richard Dawkins has to say (just not some other things like *cough*Elevatorgate*cough*mild pedophilia*cough*Islamophobic remarks)

There is nothing wrong in being faithful, just as long as it improves your own sense of well-being and helps you avoid uncomfortable topics like death while focusing on helping the needy and your own life.

I don't want to forcibly eradicate religion, that's extremely foolish, especially when secularism is slowly growing. No, I'll let anyone do whatever they want to do as long as it doesn't infringe other people's rights. It's the fundamentalists and the religious dogma people cling to is what pisses me off and they do give sane religious people a bad image.

Mario Party X said:
I admit, I'm strictly anti-religion and I do agree with some of what Richard Dawkins has to say (just not some other things like *cough*Elevatorgate*cough*mild pedophilia*cough*Islamophobic remarks)

There is nothing wrong in being faithful, just as long as it improves your own sense of well-being and helps you avoid uncomfortable topics like death while focusing on helping the needy and your own life.

I don't want to forcibly eradicate religion, that's extremely foolish, especially when secularism is slowly growing. No, I'll let anyone do whatever they want to do as long as it doesn't infringe other people's rights. It's the fundamentalists and the religious dogma people cling to is what pisses me off and they do give sane religious people a bad image.

I understand your sentiment, since I have kind of a broken relationship to the christian faith myself.

But you need to realize that by calling the christian god a "precious sky daddy" and their holy scripture a "goddang fairy tale book", you invariably insult ALL christians, not just the hate-spewing, intolerant zealots.

Some realize that being christian is about following the example of Jesus Christ, not the often warped doctrine of the church. They don't deserve mockery.

i agree

you can believe whatever the hell you want to believe in, just don't insult other people's beliefs while you do so

i mean it actually hurt me when mario party x described my religion like that

it sounds stupid to be that hurt by mere comments, i know

but it just does that to me, it feels like a knife in the heart

I understood the intent of LGM's post, just worded in a way that made people feel a certain way.

I just...dissing a group because of a minority, which is rather ironic since we are talking about a minority...

But anyways, this talk actually reminded me of something my church did awhile back. They had this series they did for 4 weeks about homosexuality and church, and during that they asked that all children go to the nursery and stuff we have at our church if they weren't there and stuff, mostly to not influence their opinions at such a young age. And then during that series, they kind of talked about homosexuality and what the bible says about it, but it series wasn't about "oh, it's a sin" but more of "okay, the bible says this, but there's also this and this" and kind of unraveling some of the stuff that adults had been pounded about homosexuality as a child, and how it really isn't something that they should judge and isn't very christian to do so. I think I only went to one of them, since I helped out in the nursery during that time, so I'm not sure if they talked about same-sex marriage, but I guess baby-steps.

Honestly, my church is really positive about acceptance and stuff. The motto for it is "come as you are". I mean, they don't really talk about the difference in sexuality, and they don't slander any race, gender, sexuality or ethnicity.

that's another thing to keep in mind - churches in american can vary wildly with beliefs, especially between demoninations

basically the only thing that all baptist churches believe in is that you have to be baptized or whatever. beyond that it's up to the individual church to decide

Back