Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition announced for 3DS

On the other hand, I am getting the chill of New Super Mario Bros. for some reason.

The chill?

Well, from the looks of things its basically NSMB but with puzzle and dragon mechanics instead of a platformer, which doesn't bother me any.

P%26DSMBE_Screenshot_2.jpeg

Also from the looks of this screenshot you can enter that pipe to find secrets, like a normal Mario game.

P%26DSMBE_Screenshot_5.jpeg

And there seem to be plenty of options for customizing your team.

P%26DSMBE_Screenshot_4.jpeg

Stanley the Troll said:
This ain't no RPG.

yes it is

turn-based =/= rpg

has elements = rpg

therefore, game = rpg

can't wait to storm bowser's castle with my party of lv. 99 toads

there will be no mercy

hey where the ---- is yellow toad :(

To me, RPG=decent story, being turn-based is optional but there has to be a controllable character which this looks to not have except on the map.

This looks like New Super Mario Bros. Puzzle Edition. If it had a new story, new villain, new locations, and NPCs to talk to, etc then it would be an RPG. But this is nothing like the RPGs I'm used to. It's closer to NSMB than the first three Paper Marios, M&L and SMRPG.

Stanley the Troll said:
To me, RPG=decent story, being turn-based is optional but there has to be a controllable character which this looks to not have except on the map.

This looks like New Super Mario Bros. Puzzle Edition. If it had a new story, new villain, new locations, and NPCs to talk to, etc then it would be an RPG. But this is nothing like the RPGs I'm used to. It's closer to NSMB than the first three Paper Marios, M&L and SMRPG.

No, an RPG is not a definition defined by personal biases and experiences. It's a hard fact; an objective term used to describe a wide variety of genres. You can't say "oh this game fits my definition of this genre, therefore, it is", that's just plain illogical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_video_game

I know several RPGs that DO NOT have a decent story, much less a story. The reason they have stories is not an arbitrary one: usually, these games are slower paced and therefore have more room and time for explanation than other genres, like say, sports, platformer, karting, etc. Then you have MMORPG (mass multiplayer online RPG) which usually have next to zero story excluding quests and stuff like that.

Baby Luigi said:
Stanley the Troll said:

No, an RPG is not a definition defined by personal biases and experiences. It's a hard fact; an objective term used to describe a wide variety of genres. You can't say "oh this game fits my definition of this genre, therefore, it is", that's just plain illogical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_video_game

I know several RPGs that DO NOT have a decent story, much less a story. The reason they have stories is not an arbitrary one: usually, these games are slower paced and therefore have more room and time for explanation than other genres, like say, sports, platformer, karting, etc. Then you have MMORPG (mass multiplayer online RPG) which usually have next to zero story excluding quests and stuff like that.

pretty much this

the best rpgs ever often do not even have good storylines to begin with, even the more popular ones such as tales of vesperia, mother 2, golden sun 2, fe:a, and so on

there is a whole more to rpgs then the factor of storyline

Baby Luigi said:
hey where the ---- is yellow toad :(

Further down the list off screen I'd say. There is a yellow puzzle tile afterall.

Stanley the Troll said:

This is why people tell you to expand your pallet.

On another note, I wonder if Mario gets an RPG like Child of Light (platformer mixed with turn-based elements).

Stanley the Troll said:
But this is nothing like the RPGs I'm used to. It's closer to NSMB than the first three Paper Marios, M&L and SMRPG.
The whopping two RPGs you've ever played?

I haven't played child of light but I guess the concept could work.

edit: Now that I've looked up some gameplay of it, definitely. Make it more Mario styled and it could easily work and be a fun enjoyable experience. Hell the 2D sections in M&L are very similar to it.

Zae Eildus said:
the best rpgs ever often do not even have good storylines to begin with, even the more popular ones such as tales of vesperia, mother 2, golden sun 2, fe:a, and so on

dont forget pokemon

Stanley the Troll said:
Mario Party X said:
The whopping seven RPGs you've ever played?
Fixed, not counting Sticker Star.

No. Its really only about 3.

-Paper Mario- 1
-Paper Mario TTYD- 2
-Super Paper Mario- 3
-Mario & Luigi SS- 4
-Mario & Luigi PIT- 5
-Mario & Luigi BIS- 6
-Mario & Luigi DT- 7

Stanley the Troll said:
-Paper Mario- 1
-Paper Mario TTYD- 2
-Super Paper Mario- 3
-Mario & Luigi SS- 4
-Mario & Luigi PIT- 5
-Mario & Luigi BIS- 6
-Mario & Luigi DT- 7

You really need to expand your horizons, those are all literally mario games

M&L games are extremely similar. Its not hard to say that if you've played 1 you know what to expect from the rest.

PM1 and TTYD is the same deal.

SPM is another due to how radically different it is.

So yes, in reality you've only played 3 types of rpgs and that is an extremely limited view of the genre.

Stanley the Troll said:
-Paper Mario- 1
-Paper Mario TTYD- 2
-Super Paper Mario- 3
-Mario & Luigi SS- 4
-Mario & Luigi PIT- 5
-Mario & Luigi BIS- 6
-Mario & Luigi DT- 7

That's not a lot at all.

Especially since a good chunk of them are only "okay".

Stanley the Troll said:
Mario Party X said:
I don't play too much RPGs (and I acknowledge that my gaming library is composed of mainly Mario games like *gasp* you), but even I've seen/played RPGs

Played
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Pokaymon games
Mario & Luigi games
Tales of Symphonia

Watched
Persona III
Baten Kaitos
Golden Sun
Paper Mario

Mainly, my brother plays the JRPGs. He's a sucker for them. I'd like to play some more in the future, though, but playing just a few RPGs has broadened my horizons somewhat.

Mario Party X said:
Stanley the Troll said:
Mario Party X said:
I don't play too much RPGs (and I acknowledge that my gaming library is composed of mainly Mario games like *gasp* you), but even I've seen/played RPGs

Played
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Pokaymon games
Mario & Luigi games
Tales of Symphonia

Watched
Persona III
Baten Kaitos
Golden Sun
Paper Mario

Mainly, my brother plays the JRPGs. He's a sucker for them. I'd like to play some more in the future, though, but playing just a few RPGs has broadened my horizons somewhat.

idk if diablo and darkspore count as rpgs

Oh, yeah, they are RPGs as well. >.<

EDIT: Forgot Dark Cloud in the list.

So, yeah the trailer did confirm that yellow toad is in the game.

Back