A Mario animated movie by Sony Pictures!?!

Re: Sony Pictures had the rights to make a Mario animated movie

Mcmadness said:
Because its the Super Mario bros movie based off the super mario bros series of platformers. Not the rpgs, not Mario Kart, not wrecking crew, not mario party, the list goes on.

Plus it would be its own version of the SMB world. It wouldn't adapt a previous story, it would continue in its own direction, which it should. I don't want to see a watered down version of another plotline.
That makes sense. I would prefer stories to the stories based on RPGs.

The movie should have a story of Mario RPG (excluding Sticker Star) quality at least. It should not, however, be based directly off of one of the RPG stories. I'd rather have an original story or at the least an expansion of one of the platformer's stories.

I think this film would have elements from Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, and Super Mario World and maybe Donkey Kong or Wario would appear.

In all honesty, I don't think any of the RPG plotlines can be condensed into even a 2-hour film. They would've worked as maybe an anime series or something (which probably would've happened around the time they came out had the movie from 1993 not occurred).

This is a big chance for Oogtar to return!

Valerius Dover said:
In all honesty, I don't think any of the RPG plotlines can be condensed into even a 2-hour film.
SPM could. Just take out the non-Tippi Pixls and secondary characters, cut out most of the return-to-Flipside inter-chapter sequences, and other such streamlining measures, and it's definitely doable. Hell, all the RPGs could be turned into movies if you chop out enough stuff and keep the core storylines, although the earlier PMs are the least likely to survive the conversion in any overly gameplay-faithful forms since even the partners would need to go after their chapters are done for the most part (except, for example, Goombella and Vivian in PM:TTYD, and maybe Koops too). The platformers are the the opposite: story needs to be added to make a decent film out of 'em, but that's also doable. In both cases, it all depends on how good the writer and director are.

If it winds up an adaptation of SPM (which it won't) then I quit.

I don't know what I'm quitting but I quit it.

I honestly don't think a new Mario movie is a good idea.

What about making the RPGs spin off movies to the main series movies? That way, everyone's happy.

Glitchy said:
What about making the RPGs spin off movies to the main series movies? That way, everyone's happy.

That's assuming they'd go as far as turn Mario into a movie franchise. It's hard enough getting one to start development. Let alone a whole series of films. They can put sequel hooks and such, but if the movie is bad. (The Mario Live-action movie had a sequel hook at the end for example) Then it isn't going anywhere.

Sure there was the whole Marvel Avengers series with many of the heroes from that film each having each of their own films. But that was set from the start. I also doubt it's as necessary considering the Superheroes are far more well-known then the Mario RPGs are. There is no way if the movie comes along they base it on any of the RPGs whatsoever. It's not mainstream Mario enough. And extending a story of Mario saving the Princess from Bowser would probably be easier then condensing a long RPG story.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/10/10/mario-s-film-folly-the-true-story-behind-hollywood-s-biggest-gaming-blunder.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

Side note, this is an interesting read.

I used that and a bunch of other sources to create the development section on the film's page. Fun read!

The co-director justified making the movie the way it was because "the idea" was that the movie is the "true events" and the games are a shitty adaptation. That was an idea alright.

Ah, hence the "Super Koopa Cousins" epilogue with the Japanese businessmen, explaining in-universe how those poorly adapted videogames came about.

If Wario gets in, I would love to have Nicholas Cage voice him. The ham levels would be beyond extreme.

Glowsquid said:
I used that and a bunch of other sources to create the development section on the film's page. Fun read!

The co-director justified making the movie the way it was because "the idea" was that the movie is the "true events" and the games are a *bleep*ty adaptation. That was an idea alright.

''Fucking idiots.'' Indeed. Seems the late Mr Hoskins was right about his summation of the directors.

Caesium and Coke said:
If Wario gets in, I would love to have Nicholas Cage voice him. The ham levels would be beyond extreme.

^
^
^
^

"DOH! I MISSED!"

youre reading that with Nic Cage's voice arent you

Caesium and Coke said:

Clearly Daisy should be played by Nic Cage.

If this is confirmed, I wonder who they'll get to direct it? I know these are long shots but I would like to see one of these direct it:

Peter Jackson
Steven Spielberg
Baz Luhrmann
Phil Lord and Chris Miller
Tom Hooper

Mcmadness said:
Glowsquid said:

The co-director justified making the movie the way it was because "the idea" was that the movie is the "true events" and the games are a *bleep*ty adaptation. That was an idea alright.

''*bleep*ing idiots.'' Indeed. Seems the late Mr Hoskins was right about his summation of the directors.
Just to be fair, even they admitted it backfired, even though they couldn't see it a mile away.

Back