Mario pictures

Super Mario 3D World comic, concept page by Archie Comics.
pzNAuRxE_0501152020331.jpg

They pitched Nintendo a Mario comic, but shot down.

Dammit. I'd read it.

I would too. Their work on the Mega Man comic was pretty good for the most part, pacing problems aside.

I'd read it too, but noooo, Mario stuff got to stick to the games and Mario shouldn't have personality at all whatsoever.

I do wonder if Nintendo is actively suppressing Mario from having personality or do they think he already has one?

Jason Voorhees said:
Super Mario 3D World comic, concept page by Archie Comics.
pzNAuRxE_0501152020331.jpg

They pitched Nintendo a Mario comic, but shot down.

All it tells me is that Nintendo is a bunch of idiots

Mcmadness said:
I do wonder if Nintendo is actively suppressing Mario from having personality or do they think he already has one?
I think it's an active suppression. Just look at Superstar Baseball for christ sake. It's very sad.

The fact that he's silent and nobody else is? Yeah I guess so.

Superstar Baseball and Super Sluggers are godawful depictions of him. Same thing for Mario & Sonic. Again, it's so depressing to see that after you've seen Mario at Comic Con or E3 events making everyone laugh their asses off. They really should just go the Fortune Street route. It gives me something to write about when I patrol the Mario article in the wiki.

We still have Super Mario-Kun to work with, I know that, but otherwise, seeing Archie Comics Mario get pitched and ultimately fade out makes me both happy and depressed.

They could at least roll with the silence. Use it for laughs.

Like when Mario touches lava and dies, he holds up a sign saying, "!!!".

Dr. Mario said:
I'd read it too, but noooo, Mario stuff got to stick to the games and Mario shouldn't have personality at all whatsoever.

But think about what happens when they don't stick to the games.

With that being said, the rejected comic looked promising.
The third picture is about Mario attending kindergarten.

bqgiOc4.jpg

WSdbdBY.jpg

ddxgylB.jpg

Dr. Mario said:
Superstar Baseball and Super Sluggers are godawful depictions of him. Same thing for Mario & Sonic. Again, it's so depressing to see that after you've seen Mario at Comic Con or E3 events making everyone laugh their asses off. They really should just go the Fortune Street route. It gives me something to write about when I patrol the Mario article in the wiki.

We still have Super Mario-Kun to work with, I know that, but otherwise, seeing Archie Comics Mario get pitched and ultimately fade out makes me both happy and depressed.

If he can't talk then at least be more expressive. He certainly reacts to things but not in a way that makes him entertaining to watch, like say how Luigi was in dark moon.

Though for what little screen time Mario had in Dark Moon they actually managed to give him a bit of personality with how full of energy he was.

Mario has said more during a gag in Luigi's Mansion than in all the Super Mario, Paper Mario, and Mario & Luigi games combined.

That's sad.

Magikrazy said:
They could at least roll with the silence. Use it for laughs.

Like when Mario touches lava and dies, he holds up a sign saying, "!!!".
I'd honestly like it if Mario did something like that as well. You know, like Gromit or something.

Ash's Froakie said:
Dr. Mario said:

But think about what happens when they don't stick to the games.

With that being said, the rejected comic looked promising.
The third picture is about Mario attending kindergarten.

bqgiOc4.jpg

WSdbdBY.jpg

ddxgylB.jpg
Super Mario-Kun and Fortune Street turned out pretty well, IMO. Mario would say, "Oh, that's all right. I don't give a *coin*. A gold coin." When I meant "games" I meant the mainstream platformers and, well, most games.

Magikrazy said:
Mario has said more during a gag in Luigi's Mansion than in all the Super Mario, Paper Mario, and Mario & Luigi games combined.

That's sad.
I agree.

And Mario's pretty expressive in Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon for the little screen time he had. Of course, Luigi himself is very expressive for the plentiful screen time he had, and he's pretty cute in that game. It adds a lot of charm.

800px-Mario_sees_Luigi_LMDM.png

800px-E_Gadd_and_Mario_Bros_noticing_something_LMDM.png

800px-LMDM_Mario_Bros._reunite.png

DarkoftheMoon_Mario.png

Of course, they're static images, so it might be difficult to actually convey the exact emotion these guys are going through, but it's definitely a step up from the typical Mario platformers. I think it's not just the expressions themselves that make these characters more colorful, but also the interactions with other characters, illustrated by their physical closeness to each other.

Unlike other game companies, I wonder if Nintendo even uses facial expressions concept sheets.

776px-MSC_-_Concept_art_-_Luigi_Expressions.jpg

I think Power Tennis also did a really good job at conveying character as well.

800px-BowserTrophyMarioPowerTennis.png

Don't remind me on the tragic loss of trophy scenes.

It's a reason people love them, though. If you get interesting, charming, and memorable character expressions and interactions, people will want that. So that Mario games tend to not do this kind of thing is pretty sad. The Mario RPGs, Mario Karts, and mainstream platformers tend to be the biggest perpetrators that have bland-looking Mario and Luigi (especially Mario).

Indeed but there is naught we can do :/

That's why we have fanfics and headcanons. To fill in the gaps with our shit. It sometimes isn't enough, you know what I mean?

All too well, all too well.

It's why while I acknowledge there is technically no continuity in the franchise, I have my own personal headcanon for it.

Maybe one of those German Nintendo comics?

Bowser.full.1462918.jpg

You know how those subway people sometimes squeeze the crowd into the train? I wonder how he'll do this when Bowser's around.

With a lot of butter probably.

And really, really padded gloves because there's going to be a lot of poking.

There are bound to be a few accidents.

Back