Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

I prefer the noise Donkey Kong makes in Brawl onwards during his down taunt as opposed to the ones he does in SSB and Melee

Donkey Kong's down taunt probably would've felt more amusing in Smash 3DS / Wii U if he actually used his Mario series voice clips.

LeftyGreenMario said:
No, but it's the perfect taunt and it's used only as a low-quality Wii Remote noise thing. It needs to be restored to its former glory.
I agree. The long drawn out "Hiiiiiiiiii" is amazing. In Brawl and Smash 4, he just kinda says "Hi"

And also the first game.

It's awesome in Tiny Melee as well. It sounds so cute and annoying at the same time.

Princess Zelda said:
I love how easy it is to cause shield breaks in SSB4

It is an attack dependent ordeal though; only certain attacks can completely shatter a full shield.

MnSG said:
It is an attack dependent ordeal though; only certain attacks can completely shatter a full shield.

It's not that I'm concerned about. It's how shields in general are easier to break. Donkey Kong's Hand Slap can break a full shield in 3 hits

I also agree that the excessive crowd cheering is really annoying, and this is someone who hears Mr. Krabs yell "NOOOOO" constantly in her Smash 4.

Princess Zelda said:
I thought people hated 75m more
75m is good in Smash 4, much better than its Brawl incarnation and still better than Spear Pillar or Mario Bros. or maybe even Hanenbow.

luigidabest said:
The crowd cheering in brawl is super annoying, that's the main reason I didn't like the game more
That, combined with the unsatisfying hitting sound effects and that mechanic where one guy's body can hit the other guy's body.... what is that mechanic called? You normally can throw enemies and watch them hit other people (like Mario's F-Throw) but Brawl somehow made it so ANYONE getting launched becomes a hitbox. Using opponent's bodies as hitboxes? Such a fucking obnoxious mechanic in matches with more than two players.

LeftyGreenMario said:
That, combined with the unsatisfying hitting sound effects and that mechanic where one guy's body can hit the other guy's body.... what is that mechanic called? You normally can throw enemies and watch them hit other people (like Mario's F-Throw) but Brawl somehow made it so ANYONE getting launched becomes a hitbox. Using opponent's bodies as hitboxes? Such a *bleep*ing obnoxious mechanic in matches with more than two players.

To add to this, collateral damage in Brawl ends up reducing the knockback that you've dealt, so an attack that would normally be a guaranteed KO may fall short of KOing if anyone is in the way.

I didn't mind Smash Tour

About the crowd cheers the crowd made me angry as a kid when I was the one getting cheered at... lol and I still hate it now even when I'm not the one getting cheered at... Plus I hate when two people die at the same time because they add an unneccesary annoying scream (The high knockback scream is just annoying lol)

One more thing: I didn't hate brawl, in fact it's pretty good and was my first smash. It had lots of great features like the subspace emissary. Its just not as good as melee and 4 (better than 64 but ive rarely played that one) and the crowd isn't the only reason that prevents me from liking it more... who could forget tripping

Ugh, Smash Tour probably numbed you.

Yeah, Brawl's crowd are so bad, even mods like Project M toned it down. What's more, I liked the crowd in Smash 64 a lot despite also being loud. I think they're the best crowd in the game. They're amazing and go nuts when you throw Bob-ombs at weakened characters.

Oh, and I miss that sound effect from Smash 64 that plays when you're near the bottom blast line.

Melee's meta isn't fun to watch or play, and I'm convinced that all that prevents it from reaching a form of standstill is the fact we haven't yet tried making an AI play on the competitive level, like we have with Chess. You can only watch foxes rub off on each other for so long before it gets boring.

I think Melee's gameplay is still freaking good if you play to settings you like. Though nowadays, I have more fun with 8-Player Smash in Smash 4.

Camwoodstock said:
I'm convinced that all that prevents it from reaching a form of standstill is the fact we haven't yet tried making an AI play on the competitive level, like we have with Chess.
Unlike chess, though, Melee has a shit ton more variables to account for. You can give them tools like frame-perfect wavedashing or SHFFL and good DI and super human reflexes (the last one they actually do) but it's difficult to tell them how to coordinate or how to play mindgames with wavedashing and dash-dancing. Team matches? Forget about it.

And balancing Melee requires a modded ISO and since the modding scene is limited and restricted mainly to emulators, most people don't have access to a more balanced cast and thus it won't be be established in the tourney scene.

I think that's why we have stuff like that one Project M-esque game project that everyone harped on so we do have a game that can be changed and balanced while retaining the Melee mechanics.

Camwoodstock said:
Melee's meta isn't fun to watch or play, and I'm convinced that all that prevents it from reaching a form of standstill is the fact we haven't yet tried making an AI play on the competitive level, like we have with Chess. You can only watch foxes rub off on each other for so long before it gets boring.
You're entitled to your opinion but at least be more educated about it

1. People make really good AIs all the time. The game is ludicrously hard to execute in, that's why you'll never see humans play at this level unlike Chess where there isn't an executional barrier to performing perfect moves

2. The two best players in the world play Peach and Puff, the top 10 in the world has exactly 2 Fox mains, Michigan's best player is a Samus, Pittsburgh's best player is a Luigi, Canada's is a Falcon, etc. Fox is strong but it's not like Fox is the only character that gets played

I actually don't mind Falcondorf
Though the best Falcondorf is Brawl Minus Falcondorf
and I'd sooner make Pig Ganon playable than change Ganondorf's moveset.

Back