Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

If it were up to me both would be in by now

really DK could use a bit more representation in general

and for an actual unpopular opinion: I'm fine with Ganondorf remaining a Falcon semiclone

I would totally love for Dixie to be in Smash. She is my favorite DK character.

Lumastar said:
If neither Dixie nor K. Rool gets in as DLC the ballot is rigged.

why do people not seem to get that the ballot isn't a 'whoever gets the most votes wins' deal, its a suggestion box, it can't be 'rigged'. (although i would still be a little surprised if krool didnt get in with his huge popularity in both the west AND japan...)

also for an unpopular opinion, i like dark pit and have no problem with the fact that he was included in smash 4

Epic Nitwit said:
Lumastar said:
If neither Dixie nor K. Rool gets in as DLC the ballot is rigged.

why do people not seem to get that the ballot isn't a 'whoever gets the most votes wins' deal, its a suggestion box, it can't be 'rigged'. (although i would still be a little surprised if krool didnt get in with his huge popularity in both the west AND japan...)
I understand it's not the most votes (otherwise we might get someone like Shrek), but it wouldn't make much sense to not give DK another rep when so many people have asked for one.

Going off your unpopular opinion I don't mind Dr. Mario being back. I just wish he was better than he was in the game.

Meowth said:

and for an actual unpopular opinion: I'm fine with Ganondorf remaining a Falcon semiclone

Me too. If Sakurai even tried to change him he'd probably get even more criticism because "Too many swords!"

Giffy Giffy said:
Meowth said:

Me too. If Sakurai even tried to change him he'd probably get even more criticism because "Too many swords!"

What about his dark magic?

I definitely agree it's time for K. Rool to make an appearence. He should definitely be the heaviest, but slowest and strongest character in the game. And Kaptain K. Rool would make a good alt costume.

Giffy Giffy said:
Meowth said:

He probably knows that "too many swords" is a very silly argument to invoke anyway.

I'm completely fine with more swordsmen too if they interest me enough

swordsmen weren't ever really a problem for me, i mean that's like saying "there's too many characters that use their fists"

Consider how swordsmen are played, though. Most swordsmen depend on spacing and abusing their extra range, which can be annoying to some people.

Even still, you have characters like Link and Robin, who do use swords, but also have the whole projectile element to them.

Among the pure swordsman though, Ike and Marth feel very different and how they're played and played against.

Marth and Ike both are optimally abusing their extra range. They're very different, but that's a fundamental they both have.

He still struggles against people who outrange him. It just so happens his sweetspot is at the hilt instead of the tip.

Uh, yes he does. If you just try to sweetspot everything in the neutral game, you're just going to get shielded then grabbed. You're lucky he's fast enough and has a good grab game to make him not nearly as bad as he was in Melee.

Marie said:
swordsmen weren't ever really a problem for me, i mean that's like saying "there's too many characters that use their fists"

ive always had a hard time fighting swords man in general since they have more priority and range than other character types.

I'm horrible at facing marth and lucina especially.

Nobody complains or praises this, but I don't agree with the developers' decision to have character models always face toward the screen. You know why? Because the animations are swapped, and they're an eyesore once you notice that Mario, holding a Beam Sword, switches hands when he turns around. Additionally, try playing Training Mode and pick a character (like Mario) to hold a Daybreaker. Zoom up and play it in slow motion. Turn around while holding the Daybreaker. Absolutely dreadful.

It might seem minor, but they didn't fix the animations for something as little as this (and such an arbitrary aesthetic change too), and it deserves at least ridicule.

If you have to slow down the game to notice the problem, I don't think it's that big of a deal.. I know that having ambidextrous models isn't a good practice, but for the most part, most people aren't going to notice it. While we're on the subject, though, I want to complain about clipping issues.

7smwIxN.jpg

Not just the little wooshes that every character has.

RIHrwUn.jpg

Or the long flowing bits of certain characters.

MMTjD8X.jpg

I'm talking about the raw clipping of a model onto itself.

p2aTGfZ.jpg

Sometimes certain attacks against certain characters don't mesh together...

q7yChRJ.jpg

Sometimes there's the occasional misstep...

3w6lTYY.jpg

And sometimes Sonic's legs get chopped off.

sr05kDc.jpg

Not to forget the black hole that Peach is taking care of. Regardless of why it shows up, it's something that always personally bugs me when I'm taking snapshots of the game. These are just examples that I remember off the top of my head; when I'm playing the game proper, this doesn't even come to mind except during the most egregious examples, but every little bit that's piercing through something that it's not supposed to be piercing through is always a major pain.

If you're going to animate characters like this, clipping is bound to happen

For the most part, I completely understand, but I find that a bit of a lame excuse when it comes to the more unacceptable examples of clipping, like with Peach dislocating her spine every time she does her Peach Bomber.

Time Turner said:
If you have to slow down the game to notice the problem, I don't think it's that big of a deal.. I know that having ambidextrous models isn't a good practice, but for the most part, most people aren't going to notice it. While we're on the subject, though, I want to complain about clipping issues.

7smwIxN.jpg

Not just the little wooshes that every character has.

RIHrwUn.jpg

Or the long flowing bits of certain characters.

MMTjD8X.jpg

I'm talking about the raw clipping of a model onto itself.

p2aTGfZ.jpg

Sometimes certain attacks against certain characters don't mesh together...

q7yChRJ.jpg

Sometimes there's the occasional misstep...

3w6lTYY.jpg

And sometimes Sonic's legs get chopped off.

sr05kDc.jpg

Not to forget the black hole that Peach is taking care of. Regardless of why it shows up, it's something that always personally bugs me when I'm taking snapshots of the game. These are just examples that I remember off the top of my head; when I'm playing the game proper, this doesn't even come to mind except during the most egregious examples, but every little bit that's piercing through something that it's not supposed to be piercing through is always a major pain.
Well, I'm just saying "what's seen cannot be unseen". The animation flipping is an example of this, and why the developers thought changing it like this was a such a good idea. It could be for aesthetics, but proper animation and attention to detail is a thing for 3D modeling and animation.

The clipping problems are also lol too. You can't really fault Lucina's hair animations since I believe they're actually jiggle bones, so they animate depending on external physics (like how they move up when Lucina is falling or when you're setting amiibo and use the control stick to spin her, her hair moves). Actually, most of these clipping can be attributed to jiggle animations within the dresses and hair. The Samus one looks ridiculous, though.

I do agree that these clipping, while hilarious, can ruin pictures, lol.

Melee is even worse, though. The characters are so jagged, they're like mountains. When Mario does his forward tilt, his torso twists and stretches in such a hideous way.

I guess that's the problem when you have characters with exaggerated movements. Exhibit A: Peach's, Zelda's and Rosalina's dresses devolve into a mass of polygons anytime they do anything.

Back