Rank the Mario Platformers (please separate 2D and 3D platformers!)

No. Because destroying copies of a game you bought (which isn't cheap, mind you) is a waste of time, money, and resources. It's better off you sell it if you hate it that much.

As Angry Joe said, the worst thing you can do to a game is to get a full refund on it.

I wish people can actually read my thoughts on Super Mario Galaxy 2 rather than quoting the entire fucking post and then tl;dr it.

people can disagree with your post and they still have the right to like the game

Baby Man said:
people can disagree with your post and they still have the right to like the game
Where did you get that argument from?

Maᴙio said:
Baby Man said:

well you're expecting people to read your post, which contains nothing but complaints for galaxy 2, and agree with you or something.

No, I was expecting people to read my post and maybe agree or disagree with me.

I didn't say anything of that sort, but I may as well implied it, but I've provided a reason I hate Galaxy 2 even more than before, and I tried justifying it and being reasonable. Nowhere I was asking for people to agree or disagree with me.

So please stop making up arguments I never made.

some people don't have the time to read a fully detailed out post in a mario forum containing paragraphs with opinions they possibly disagree with

just because you never made those arguments doesn't mean you haven't implied anything

Well, as I said, don't quote the entire thing and then put tl;dr because that's just insulting. At least snip it or something.

Implied what? I'm asking for people to agree with me? I'm not hating anyone that likes Super Mario Galaxy 2, but it does make me bitter that people call it out as the best game ever. I mean, if you haven't played a lot of rehashes, or if you like rehashes, which there is no problem with it, you can like it. But I feel it's grossly unfair that Galaxy 2 in general, gets a lot of praise even though it's lazy. And I've substantiate my opinion on why it's lazy with examples.

Baby Man said:
Maᴙio said:
Baby Man said:

well you're expecting people to read your post, which contains nothing but complaints for galaxy 2, and agree with you or something.
Well, it's probably a rant, sorry, but don't make it out to seem like long-winded whining like you are right now.

If you liked Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 isn't much different gameplay-wise but adds new levels, why do you consider it a bad game?

Nysic said:
If you liked Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 isn't much different gameplay-wise but adds new levels, why do you consider it a bad game?

That's the primary problem with Galaxy 2. You eat a new meal. You love it. You eat the identical meal again, it's not as good as the first time you ate it.

Nysic said:
Galaxy 2 isn't a bad game by any means. The soundtrack is nice, the visuals are good, and there are no game-breaking bugs. The physics work, the jumping controls are precise, the controls are easy to use. So what's the problem?

Galaxy 2 is a rehash that doesn't just escape criticism for reusing old concepts, but also has earned tons of praise and many awards. This really bothers me because Galaxy 2 doesn't redefine the genre, nor does it represent the genre at its best.

If other games try to do something similar, especially if they release a sequel like this a few years after the original game, it would get bashed for being too much the same.

Baby Man said:
You eat a new meal. You love it. You eat the identical meal again, it's not as good as the first time you ate it.
I've had over a hundred Big Macs in my life and they still taste as good as ever, so I don't see how that's an argument.

I guess it's a personal thing whether you have that feeling.

I always find that the first time I eat something is when it tastes the worst, so I always give food that was 'only decent' tasting a second try to actually get a good opinion of it. The food that tastes great from the get-go usually ends up being something I like eating a lot, but the taste never diminishes in subsequent meals.

Maᴙio said:
Galaxy 2 is a rehash that doesn't just escape criticism for reusing old concepts, but also has earned tons of praise and many awards. This really bothers me because Galaxy 2 doesn't redefine the genre, nor does it represent the genre at its best.

But here's my rub.

If the concepts work, as they did in SMG, then why not reuse them?

I always saw smg2 less as "how can we push the genre as a whole?", and more "how can we make this specific series more fun?" Why do you have to completely reinvent the steam engine when you already have a fully-functioning one in your possession?

If you hate the lazy business practices that brought you the game, then hate the company. It's not the game's fault it got made.

Baby Man said:
No. Because destroying copies of a game you bought (which isn't cheap, mind you) is a waste of time, money, and resources. It's better off you sell it if you hate it that much.

Well Baby Luigi, if you think Galaxy 2 sucks that much then why don't you just send your copy of SMG2 to the AVGN (James Rolfe) or Mike Matei to review it either on the AVGN show or the James and Mike Mondays Show. I am pretty sure he is going to be reviewing modern games if you take a look towards the end of his Desert Bus review. He may have said that he is also going to be reviewing current shitty games. You think Galaxy 2 is a pile diarrhea dump in the AVGN's ear and as how the AVGN would say. Well I am pretty sure he may review it and give it his trademark nerdy word of mouth treatment.

Besides SMG2 is the second 3D Mario platformer where you can ride Yoshi. I mean Yoshi was absent in SMG1. That is the main difference between the two games. Sunshine was Yoshi's first 3D rideable appearance and sure he didn't appear a whole lot in Sunshine. Do you like Yoshi in both SMG2 and Sunshine. Atleast that's new in Galaxy 2 although it was present in Sunshine.

Pwwnd123 said:
Besides SMG2 is the second 3D Mario platformer where you can ride Yoshi. I mean Yoshi was absent in SMG1. That is the main difference between the two games. Sunshine was Yoshi's first 3D rideable appearance and sure he didn't appear a whole lot in Sunshine. Do you like Yoshi in both SMG2 and Sunshine. Atleast that's new in Galaxy 2 although it was present in Sunshine.
Just an FYI: BLOF and LGM hate Yoshi.

Paper Mario said:
Pwwnd123 said:
Just an FYI: BLOF and LGM hate Yoshi.
Not as much as they hate Wario.

Baby Luigi, if you think Galaxy 2 is the worst main series Mario game like Sunshine and is a pile of horse vomit and a soulless cash grab then why don't you just go play Mega Man 8 for the PSX and Sega Saturn or the NES Mega Mans . Mega Man 8 is no doubt the Mega Man series worst game and a pile of horse vomit just like how you think of SMG2 to be. I mean here is footage of the Saturn version to see if it is really a piece of crap like how you say SMG2 is. You said that it was a shameless cash grab by Nintendo when in fact it isn't. I mean a perfect example of a soulless cashgrab is the Mega Man series on the NES. I mean Mega Man 5 and 6 are soulless cash grabs by Capcom for the NES. Hell even the Mario Parties on the GameCube are considered soulless cash grabs like the Mega Man series on the NES which is better explained by my video on Rapid Game Releases in where I exaggerate and complain about it. Please watch the video on Rapid Game Releases to be sure you know my complaints and decide on which points to agree on.

Mega Man 8 Saturn Footage

My video on rapid game releases

Hope my video helped on what you would actually call a soulless cash grab.

Dude, give it a rest.

She didn't like Super Mario Galaxy 2. Move on with your life.

And yes. It is a souless cash grab. I consider it more a Super Mario Galaxy 1.5 because that's what it feels like. It's SMG1 with few extra features.

This is her opinion, and no amount of comparisons to Mega Man 8 can change that.

Magikrazy said:
And yes. It is a souless cash grab. I consider it more a Super Mario Galaxy 1.5 because that's what it feels like. It's SMG1 with few extra features.

How is it a souless cash grab when it is supposed to be a sequel. I mean I don't think it is a souless cash grab. A souless cash grab to me is like the Mario Party series for example on the GameCube and the NES Mega Mans. I mean sure we got the original Mega Man for the NES and we got Mega Man 2 and we all loved it and wanted more so we got MM3. MM4 was more the same and sure that's repetitive with 5 and 6. That is where Mega Man turned into a souless cash grab on the NES. I mean sure Mario Party is the same case as the NES Mega Mans. It's redundant. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are nothing like the Mario Party series and the NES Mega Mans. Sure the NES Mega Mans featured the same gameplay and gamers didn't dislike its redundancy with the same fucking gameplay or did they criticized it. Sure the SNES was long been out when MM5 and 6 were out but atleast we had the X series. I mean come on if you criticize SMG2 to have more of the less the same gameplay plus Yoshi then you do got a lot to think about. I mean sure atleast Mega Man 2 and the other NES Mega Mans weren't criticized for having the same gameplay as Mega Man 1. Mega Man is a good example to think about before making such an asinine statement. Hell the Mega Man X series had slight gameplay elements from the classic series but included it's own gameplay elements.

Pwwnd123 said:
A souless cash grab to me is like the Mario Party series for example on the GameCube and the NES Mega Mans.

except some people happen to like the unique elements present in each game like the minigames and boards.

Paper Mario said:
Baby Man said:
You eat a new meal. You love it. You eat the identical meal again, it's not as good as the first time you ate it.
I've had over a hundred Big Macs in my life and they still taste as good as ever, so I don't see how that's an argument.

Your point is week because it's over a huge time span. How about eating a Big Mac for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner for three days?

Pwwnd123 said:
How is it a souless cash grab when it is supposed to be a sequel. I mean I don't think it is a souless cash grab. A souless cash grab to me is like the Mario Party series for example on the GameCube and the NES Mega Mans.

Branding it as a "sequel" doesn't suddenly give it an excuse to be the exact same game I played. Why aren't you an ardent defender of Call of Duty, they create "sequels" so that means they're ok too. Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Majora's Mask, are also all sequels too that did what sequels are supposed to do: vastly improve the last game while giving it a handful of new features that should work. If not, then at least lower the ----- price of the game.

You said Mario Party is a cash grab? You have a terrible opinion.

And I'm Javert said:
But here's my rub.

If the concepts work, as they did in SMG, then why not reuse them?

I always saw smg2 less as "how can we push the genre as a whole?", and more "how can we make this specific series more fun?" Why do you have to completely reinvent the steam engine when you already have a fully-functioning one in your possession?

If you hate the lazy business practices that brought you the game, then hate the company. It's not the game's fault it got made.

If it ain't broke, IMPROVE it. That's the thing wrong with the game, and this type of mantra of how "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is poisonous to video games, because it plagues TOO MANY aspects of the game industry.

Your last sentence has absolutely nothing to do with a supposed quality of the game, and we should have a right to criticize a game that is unsatisfactory to us. We never said Nintendo was free from this, I'm pretty sure the post implies that what Nintendo has done is a ---ty decision to the consumers.

Baby Man said:
Your point is week because it's over a huge time span. How about eating a Big Mac for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner for three days?
There was a time when I had one or two every day. I still eat one or two nearly every other day.

Back