Rank the Mario Platformers (please separate 2D and 3D platformers!)

This thread has nothing to do with Mario Kart and much less to do with whatever "Random Game X" Pwwnd has the strange fetish of comparing with.

Can we please stick to talking about Mario platformers.

I think Ninelevendo started to jump the gun just right now. So Baby Luigi don't blame it on me.

It's common sense by now to think that Super Mario 64 is influential tbh

Though I think 64 DS is a far superior game because 64 is horrendously dated

Baby Luigi said:
This thread has nothing to do with Mario Kart and much less to do with whatever "Random Game X" Pwwnd has the strange fetish of comparing with.

Can we please stick to talking about Mario platformers.
Hey, be nice. We have a friend that does something like that too... I think.

Pwwnd123 said:
I believe SM64 is the most influential 3D Platformer at the time. It inspired many others like Crash Bandicoot and Banjo Kazooie.
It arguably has more influence than the other 3D Mario platformer, since it did spawn an era of 3D platformers. I'm not sure about most influential of all time, but if it's on a list, it'll be there.

Pwwnd123 said:
I think Ninelevendo started to jump the gun just right now. So Baby Luigi don't blame it on me.
Why are you trying to pin it on me? And I said cartoon racing games anyway, not realistic.

64 did produce some copies from other developers, but it wasn't the thing that everyone copied. The DS remake was great in every way possible. Maybe it's time Sunshine got remade.

Okay I'm back with my 3D list:

5. Super Mario 3D Land

For my tastes this was a bit too linear for a 3D Mario. Galaxy was linear too, I know, but this one pushed it a bit too far. It's still a great game but there are just several better ones.

4. Super Mario 3D World

Same as the above, except for this time the game was arguably better.

3. Super Mario 64 DS

Took SM64 and made it a better game with better graphics, more stars and more characters. Yay!

2. Super Mario Sunshine

Superb game except for the last level. Not really much I have to say about this either, except for that it is arguably better than sm64.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 1 + Super Mario Galaxy Expansion

Surprised? Probably not. But there are two things here in which people do not agree with me:

1. I see Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 as two sides of the same game. Each are great on their own but combined they are a masterpiece. It's not even like the NSMB games which have become rehashes of each other, because SMG2 had enough fresh ideas to set it apart from SMG1, however I still consider them one game. (Kinda like Sonic 3 & Knuckles where you could see that S&K was a new game with new ideas but you could also see that they were intended to be one game at some point.)

2. I think the camera in Super Mario Galaxy is great and I don't know what everyone's problem is.

I for one had enough of the manual camera control in ps games and in zelda, so this game was a very welcome change for me.

3D Mario titles:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2/Super Mario Galaxy

A fantastic series of games that really put EAD Tokyo up there as a dev team to look out for. Both gorgeous games with creative level design. The ethereal beauty they gave off really made these game shine in my eyes. In terms of comparisons, Galaxy 2 gets the very slight edge for me mainly due to level design and theming. It felt zanier to me, which I personally loved. Galaxy 1 definitely though has the impact down (primarily because it's.....the first, of course), it gave me memories that still run through my mind from time to time, and it was more consistent with the "space" theme while being more majestic and *ahem* "epic" than it's more playful and adventurous sequel.

Story, while not being that big of thing for me in Mario platformers, I will acknowledge Galaxy's attempts to do more than the typical with its longer, more cinematic cutscenes, and optional backstory. I really liked Rosalina's introduction and overall story. It did plenty more than 2, though 2 just wanting to get the ball rolling didn't really bother me.

I enjoyed Yoshi's inclusion in 2(however minimal it was) and I had more fun with the added powerups 2 brought in.

Music is equal for me. Yeah, Good Egg, Buoy Base, Gusty Garden, and the like are great, but for me I'd say certain tunes from 2 had me just as if not slightly more enamored than the first's, such as Melty Monster, Sky Station (Mission 2), Starship Mario, Galaxy Generator, etc.

Bosses were about equal for me, though the final fight in 2 was disappointing(ly short).

Preferred Galaxy 2's post-game content, with 1's, while neat in some respects, made for a bit of an unsatisfying end result.

Both games were great all-and-all for me, 1 was impactful, while being a fun run through space, and 2 doing more of that while having enough to stand on its own in my eyes.

2. Super Mario 3D World

Another great from EAD Tokyo. Being among those that was disappointed in its announcement, it's ultimate turnout washed away any animosity I may have had.

I enjoyed the other characters at your disposal, particularly Toad and Rosalina. The level theming and variety was smile-inducing for me, the circus/"Bowser" circus, Express train, and Eastern culture-inspired levels in particular. The overall jazzy style for the music was awesome, fits the series the best IMO. I enjoyed the multiplayer, barring the (sort of) rage-inducing nature 3 other players could bring, but I figure that goes without saying for most multiplayer games. The Cat suit was really fun to use, if a bit overpowered. The linearity here (or in any 3D Mario) doesn't bother me at all, I just want variety and creative level design, which this game had plenty of I feel. Plus the last Bowser fight is one of favorites in the series, with the theme of the world being one of my favorites of Bowser's.

I'd knock a point off for the Sprixie Kingdom not being that distinct from the Mushroom Kingdom barring a few landmarks like the Bell trees. An unknowing player starting at any point without seeing the intro would probably think it was the Mushroom Kingdom if you didn't tell them otherwise.

3. Super Mario 64

The 3D venture to kick things off, memories are numerous with this one. This was a fun start for the line of 3D Marios to come. I absolutely loved exploring Peach's castle and finding the secrets hidden within. A lot of the levels I enjoyed, barring a few. The music was really nice, with it getting major props for introducing "Koopa's Road" to my young ears. The mission structure was cool, finding different stars in that one area, but it was not exactly my favorite way of doing it. I'd prefer at most 3 or 4 stars in a world before going to the next. Bosses were fun for the most part, such as fighting King Bob-bomb, swinging Bowser around towards the (conveniently placed) spiked bombs, or fighting the Bullies and Eyeroks.

4. Super Mario 3D Land

I expected a fun and simple 3D romp, and that's pretty much what I got. Nothing more nothing less. It was great for a handheld venture. I liked the inclusion of the Tanooki, even though the flying part was scrapped (though I can see why). There was some nice variety in the level designs, though not as much as other 3D games, with some being reused quite a bit I believe. The designs themselves were simple enough, but they were fun and did there job well of...ya know...being fun. I enjoyed the Bowser "obstacle fights" it introduced. Some of my favorite "fights" in the series. Music wise it had some nice tracks, but not much I would actively listen to after playing, plus I wasn't too fond of the frequent reuse of the main theme.

5. Super Mario Sunshine

While still a good game, it's by far my least favorite. FLUDD was an interesting concept, and I liked his use....when he was mainly used for speeding you up or reaching high places. Spraying the goop....was interesting, and made for some neat boss fights, but it wasn't all that fun for me, felt more like work. It takes on the mission structure once again from 64, with it having 5(6?)-7(8?) "episodes", with some episodes having the same requirements for each world you were in. The best ones to me are the secret caves that provide a daunting obstacle course to run through, complete with that cool Mario Bros Acapella. The level theming is hurt by its overall island theme overcoming most of the levels IMO, though Noki Bay, and maybe Pianta Village and Gelato Hotel are nice diversions. The Bowser fight was rather anti-climactic after a frustrating preceding level.

Voice-acting needed a little work (judge, Bowser/Jr.), and the cutscenes/story I didn't care that much for.

Game was fun for the most part, though.

Back