Next Paper Mario game (Likely on Wii U)

Super Paper Mario has that tired prophecy cliche?

*barfs*

SolarBlaze said:
Mcmadness said:
He already beat the guy in a fight, if he were written properly he would have just smugly left him there to die.
I still don't understand what you mean by this. I haven't seen Bowser act any different in Super Paper Mario than he has in any other RPG (aside from Sticker Star, where he was merely a mindless, rampaging monster).

In SPM his stupidity is flanderized to the 11th degree and he spends a lot of game crying and whining like a baby, his pathetic aspects even take part in the battles against him where one of his attacks is running towards you and flailing his arms.

When he's properly written he doesn't save people selflessly nor does he cry or whine like a baby when he gets upset. Instead he'll get angry and pissed off.

The game even tried to imply he isn't all that bad of a guy, which is horse shit.

Baby Man said:

*barfs*

Its the centerpiece of the ENTIRE story.

I think SPM is like Paper Mario's Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Lament of Innocence and Castlevania II:Simon's Quest in terms of gameplay. I'd rather play those three over it.

Pwwnd, can you, just once, talk about a game without repeatedly comparing it to other games?

Pwwnd123 said:
I think SPM is like Paper Mario's Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Lament of Innocence and Castlevania II:Simon's Quest in terms of gameplay. I'd rather play those three over it.

I'd disagree, I'd say it's closer to Xenocracy: The Ultimate Solar War and Tank Racer.

Mcmadness said:
Baby Man said:

*barfs*

Its the centerpiece of the ENTIRE story.

well isn't that fun?

who makes those f----ing prophecies anyway?

They tell you in some pointless extra bits that ultimately don't matter.

I'm with you, I think prophecy stories are generally stupid.

Mcmadness said:

Unless it parodies them or makes fun of them (think LEGO movie)

Mcmadness said:

It would be funny if something turned prophecies over their head.

C'mon, in reality today, smart people don't believe in prophecy bullshit anymore.

Baby Man said:
Mcmadness said:

Unless it parodies them or makes fun of them (think LEGO movie)

Which SPM doesn't. It plays pretty much its entire story painfully straight.

I found it epic, whether it's cliched or not doesn't matter to me as long as it doesn't feel like "been there done that" the way the main series and Sticker Star feels. At least it has original characters and some kind of story (and a damn good one I'd say).

I would try to explain it better but I feel like I've already done so too many times and it's kind of hard to put into words.

The entire plotline is been there done that. Same with its characters its all painfully overused rpg cliches. Yeah SS and the other main series games have their own cliches but there the story isn't expected to be taken seriously nor does it even present itself.

And even for the other rpgs that have plotlines. Those ones will put their own spin on the old ideas and give them a very distinct ''mario'' like feel.

But no, not SPM. It just uses extremely tired storytelling cliches and makes its overall plot not about the main characters everyone loves, but instead about some one offs who we will NEVER see again.

God I fucking hate SPM's plotline. Its a spit in the face of EVERYTHING that makes Mario the great franchise that it is.

It seems we disagree on what makes Mario awesome then. Because I saw Sticker Star as more of an insult to the franchise and SPM as an example of where it shines best.

SS as mediocre as it is at least understands how the theme of Mario works. Which is lighthearted adventure. SPM is full of melodramatic bullshit that has no business being in a series where the main character is a goddamn plumber who uses performance-enhancing mushrooms to rescue a princess or other such things from a fire breathing turtle monster whose ego is bigger than the planet they live on.

I liked SPM's plot, the underwhere/overthere arc in paticular was pretty cool

yeah the overall story was cliche but that didn't really bother me for some reason

I want to like Super Paper Mario. I really do.

There are so many titles that are just "kidnap! rescue!" and this one actually had a story beyond that.

It just didn't click with me, though.

I feel especially bad for not liking it because I feel that SPM's criticism is the reason Nintendo decided to make Sticker Star the way it is.

I don't see how SPM's story doesn't fit with the Mario series when there were games like Partners in Time and The Thousand Year Door before it, which both had "darker" stories compared to the Mario series. Are the stories cliche? Yes, but what story nowadays doesn't have cliches. Also, SPM is the best in the series.

I am not sure but SPM is like Paper Mario's Castlevania II:Simon's Quest in terms that they are side scrolling RPGs and SOTN.

Castlevania+NES+2.jpg

Magolor said:
I don't see how SPM's story doesn't fit with the Mario series when there were games like Partners in Time and The Thousand Year Door before it, which both had "darker" stories compared to the Mario series. Are the stories cliche? Yes, but what story nowadays doesn't have cliches. Also, SPM is the best in the series.
Except that SPM wasn't really a Paper Mario. When some one says "Paper Mario", my instant thought isn't a 2D Game with RPG style enemy bashing and annoying 3D flicking sound affects. It's more like M&L where you have heaps of strategy, equipment and levels.

Ninelevendo said:
Magolor said:
Except that SPM wasn't really a Paper Mario. When some one says "Paper Mario", my instant thought isn't a 2D Game with RPG style enemy bashing and annoying 3D flicking sound affects. It's more like M&L where you have heaps of strategy, equipment and levels.
When I think of Paper Mario I think of a paper-style Mario game with an epic story, partners (SPM did have them), experience, items, tons of side content and a large hub.

SPM was all that.

That One Weird Dude Who Plays Mario And Eats Burgers All Day said:
Ninelevendo said:
Magolor said:
When I think of Paper Mario I think of a paper-style Mario game with an epic storyWhat do most think of SPM's Strory?, partners (SPM did have them)Agree, even if different, experienceIt was more of a score than an EXP System, items, tons of side content and a large hub.

SPM was all that.
SPM didn't really have a good story in my and most peoples opinions, but that's not the point. You don't go "Paper Mario is NSMB with RPG Elements". You think more in line of M&L and SMRPG, not NSMB. Paper Mario games usually have at least some sort of Paper element, and SPM didn't really have anything. It's still more of a Paper Mario game than SS was.

Ninelevendo said:
SPM didn't really have a good story in my and most peoples opinions
Source? If you're talking about the Club Nintendo poll you do know the majority of people were BSing their way through it for the coins right?

That One Weird Dude Who Plays Mario And Eats Burgers All Day said:
Ninelevendo said:
SPM didn't really have a good story in my and most peoples opinions
Source? If you're talking about the Club Nintendo poll you do know the majority of people were BSing their way through it for the coins right?
Most of the people on this one topic don't like it for one thing. And where's your source?

Back