Will there ever be a new Super Mario cartoon.

Will a new cartoon based on the Super Mario franchise ever be produced?

• Yes, Mario is going to get a new cartoon.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Yes, but maybe in a few years.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • It's all depends.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • No, Mario will never get a new cartoon.

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
Walkazo said:
I dunno, usually when you get CGI blended with regular 2D animation, it stands out like a sore thumb and takes away from the experience for me. I role my eyes every time they unnecessarily use it in Avatar, for example, and I hate how half the attacks in the Pokemon anime are CGI now. Futurama does a fairly good job of it, except whenever one of the characters who are regularly 2D get rendered in 3D, then it looks weird - but the ships and whatnot are always CGI, so you get used to the natural divide. Sometimes it can even be pulled off in such a way that you can't really tell the difference, like in Princess Mononoke, but usually that's not the case.
I wasn't referring to blending CGI with 2d animation, but rather, 2D western animation with 2D anime.

So, like Avatar and Martin Mystery? Where it's western, but anime style? And maybe takes cues from both for certain stylistic choices or something?

Walkazo said:
So, like Avatar and Martin Mystery? Where it's western, but anime style? And maybe takes cues from both for certain stylistic choices or something?
Yeah.

Do you think that would work very well? Since Mario's own style isn't really anime, nor is it quite western.

I'm perfectly fine with anything as long as it doesn't involve real people as actors. Thank goodness that never happen-OHMAHGAH A MOVIE HIDE ME

Haters gonna hate, but I quite liked the movie. You just gotta not expect it to be true to the games and enjoy it on its own cracked-out merits.

Maᴙio said:
Walkazo said:
Yeah.

Do you think that would work very well? Since Mario's own style isn't really anime, nor is it quite western.
Yeah, I think it'd work well. Although anime's pretty broad, and the few Mario anime works that have been made seemed accurate enough to the series' style (the Amada OVAs in particular: the company that made them also made ads for a couple of the games, iirc); ultimately, it just boils down to who's making the show.

I'm a Mario fan but I didn't hate the movie because it didn't follow the source material well, I understand it's an adaptation they gotta make changes, I hate it because it had a boring story and boring characters

supermariofan said:
I understand it's an adaptation they gotta make changes

But...it has to be changes that make sense

supermariofan said:
I'm a Mario fan but I didn't hate the movie because it didn't follow the source material well, I understand it's an adaptation they gotta make changes, I hate it because it had a boring story and boring characters
No, you need to stay true to the source material or the movie will never fly.

See Dragonball Evolution, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter.

Maᴙio said:
supermariofan said:

Add The Last Airbender to that overgrowing list of fail

And Godzilla '98.

At least with the other films, people still remember the source material. With Godzilla, everyone remembers this bastardization and forgets the original films.

Maᴙio said:
supermariofan said:

They do need to follow the source material more but it doesn't need to be 100%. Look at Argo, Goodfellas, Silver Lining's Playbook, Captain Phillips, Okami, The Social Network, the list goes on.

Nice double post. But yeah, they need to stay close to the source material to a reasonable extent.

You can promote yourself all you want as long as you give me that hefty advertising fee.

supermariofan said:
They do need to follow the source material more but it doesn't need to be 100%. Look at Argo, Goodfellas, Silver Lining's Playbook, Captain Phillips, Okami, The Social Network, the list goes on.

No one said it has to be 100%, but it STILL has to be substantial enough for viewers to draw connections between the movie and this. In Super Mario Bros.'s case, the only connection was the name.

supermariofan said:
Hate to shamelessly promote myself but my Mario movie does follow the source material more but not completely
It does, but not adequately, in my opinion.

Walkazo said:
Haters gonna hate, but I quite liked the movie. You just gotta not expect it to be true to the games and enjoy it on its own cracked-out merits.

Maᴙio said:
Walkazo said:
Yeah.

Yeah, I think it'd work well. Although anime's pretty broad, and the few Mario anime works that have been made seemed accurate enough to the series' style (the Amada OVAs in particular: the company that made them also made ads for a couple of the games, iirc); ultimately, it just boils down to who's making the show.
I haven't watched it, but the fact that real-live people are playing as the Mario Bros. says quite a bit about it.

Baby Luigi said:
supermariofan said:

No one said it has to be 100%, but it STILL has to be substantial enough for viewers to draw connections between the movie and this. In Super Mario Bros.'s case, the only connection was the name.

Same with Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within or whatever it's called. Literally nothing to do with the games.

Pizazz said:
Same with Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within or whatever it's called. Literally nothing to do with the games.

*looks it up*

*sees it in Google Images*

29-shocked-patrick.jpg

Spirits Within was so bad it caused Squaresoft to go bankrupt or something like that.

Thats not why they became square enix though, the merger was already planned by that point.

Another reason why I want a new Super Mario cartoon is because I don't like the stations in which the SMBSS and the TAOSMB 3 and SMW cartoons as a part of the Captain N and the Video Gamemasters syndication package in some markets. I want a new Mario cartoon to air on Fox, The CW or My Network TV. I so badly wanted a new Mario cartoon to air on The Fox Box/4 Kids TV back in 2003, but it only aired the TMNT 2003 cartoon, other than that nothing but that stupid Japanese anime. Sonic X, Kirby, and F-Zero were anime. Mario needs a new cartoon to air on Fox, The CW (Vortexx Block), or My Network TV and not on cable (Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, The Hub)

Back