Mario Party 10

I'm happy Spike is becoming playable because it gives me hope for a playable buzzy beetle

Baby Luigi said:
mario party isn't a celebration of the entire mario series, it's its own ----ing spin-off branch of the mario series. you know, the CORE mario series. the core mario series that made mario popular in the --ing first place.
And is that an excuse for saying any RPG character is a terrible addition? Hell no.

Also, I've been told this for Mario Party, and Mario Kart. If those aren't celebrations of the entire series, what is? When will I see a Mario game that even matches Smash Bros. in terms of covering the series?

Stanley the Troll said:
And is that an excuse for saying any RPG character is a terrible addition? Hell no.

Also, I've been told this for Mario Party, and Mario Kart. If those aren't celebrations of the entire series, what is? When will I see a Mario game that even matches Smash Bros. in terms of covering the series?

See, this is something you constantly fail to understand. There is no game that ''celebrates'' the Mario series. At best there is that re-release of Super Mario all stars they had a few years ago. All these games are, are spin offs of the core series of platformers. They exist to be their own thing using either characters they specifically created for their games, well known ones from the platformers or people who are staples of the Mario spin off titles.

The rpgs like the other spin offs exist in their own world, doing their own thing. The spin offs take character ideas largely from the platformers because, if you haven't noticed by now, this is a platformer based series, they are the focus, they are the ones that put this franchise on the bloody map in the first place.

Is spike a bad character choice? Yeah, I like the enemy myself but he isn't as well known or recurring as other famous Mario enemies, but regardless he's still been in many, many games now and visually has a unique appearance amongst the usual enemy choices so I can see why they'd pick him as a character.

Here's the mentioned images

http://mariopartylegacy.com/2015/01/mario-party-10-official-art-released/

Spike is in there and looks swood.

Lumastar said:
Tubba Blubba is too big
I AM NOT TOO-wait, you're not talking about me for once. Carry on.

William A. Wheeler said:
I'm happy Spike is becoming playable because it gives me hope for a playable buzzy beetle

We don't know for certain if Spike is playable though.

His artwork gives the impression he will.

Doesn't bother me all that much, there are far worse choices.

Mcmadness said:
His artwork gives the impression he will.
basically this. I'd be really surprised if he wasn't playable.

I'm guessing Spike is one of the unlockable Bowser minions.

The other one is most likely another newcomer.

I'll say Lakitu.

Man, Mario looks creepy and on crack. Maybe I'll grow to like it, who knows? As for the other artwork, his grin is WAY too wide. But who am I to complain, Mario usually gets more solo artwork than usual.

Rosalina looks a bit awkward in that pose. Peach, Toad, and Toadette look quite good, though. Luigi is recycled from the previous artwork (like Mario, but not as cracked-looking).

Stanley the Troll said:

I don't care if this will make it through your overly thick skull or not (you're more likely going to cling harder to your irrational beliefs as you had thoroughly demonstrated in the past) but I'm going to elaborate my points on this being its own spin-off series.

First, what is a spin-off? Wikipedia sums up the definition of one very well:

In media, a spin-off is a radio program, television program, video game, film, or any narrative work, derived from one or more already existing works, that focuses, in particular, in more detail on one aspect of that original work (e.g. a particular topic, character, or event).

I'm going to bold and quote that part again if you don't seem to get it.

In media, a spin-off is a radio program, television program, video game, film, or any narrative work, derived from one or more already existing works, that focuses, in particular, in more detail on one aspect of that original work (e.g. a particular topic, character, or event).

Mario Party is exactly that. It's not a multi-universe crossover between multiple Mario franchises. It's not supposed to represent other aspects of the entire Mario series. It's supposed to represent its own thing, have its own identity. The Mario RPG games are, too, their own branch of a Mario SPIN-OFF. There's a particularly STRONG reason you don't see Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Mario Party, etc references in the Mario RPGs THEMSELVES outside of one-liner references. Because you know what? The ----ing RPGs are their own branch of the main Mario series as well with most aspects taken from the main Mario series themselves. Yes your precious Mario RPGs don't bother "representing" the other Mario spin-offs outside from a shout-out because it's clear cut that it's in its own universe in its own branch from the main core Mario series. That's exactly what the other Mario spinoffs are doing too. You don't see Mario RPG stuff outside of cameos, you don't see Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, etc in Mario RPGs either.

There isn't a single spin-off I have seen that acknowledges every damn single spin-off game in the entire character universe. You never see stuff like multi-universe Pokemon game where it acknowledges everything related to it in existence. You don't see Pokemon Mystery Dungeon items in the main Pokemon games or Pokemon Trozei features in the main Pokemon games. You'd be hard-pressed to find Hyrule Warriors characters getting incorporated in the main Zelda timeline. It's not merely the status quo, it's merely because that's what spin-offs do, they tell their own story with their own canon. That's exactly the case with Mario RPGs. Again, I'll mention again that the OTHER Mario spin-offs do not have any sort of major representation in the Mario RPGs themselves, and it's that aforementioned reason they aren't.

And one more thing, you're comparing Mario to a game by Nintendo where it celebrates all of its franchises coming together, which is something common in anything that has grown large enough to amass a gigantic crossover (Playstation All-Stars, Sega All-Stars Racing, etc.). It's its own thing, it's not another game in X game series. The Mario series itself is at its core a platformer series which has grown popular enough to amass several spin-off games which became popular because Super Mario Kart was the most popular of the bunch and kickstarted it despite having several Mario spinoffs prior to it. Mario Party is NOT a celebration of the entire Mario franchise, it's yet another story in the Mario universe that does its own thing and does not necessarily require interference from other stories because that would leak into its identity.

So in a sense, having Mario RPG specific characters over more general characters to represent a certain species is, yes, a terrible addition. A garden-variety Goomba comes from the core main Mario series, in which Mario Party is wholly based off of with several twists of its own. If the Mario RPGs get a spin-off of their own, then yes, it's not unreasonable to request from the named Goomba partners to be playable but since that has yet to occur, it's far more reasonable to expect a nameless, but fairly iconic and popular normal Goomba which comes from the central hub of the Mario series to be playable.

tldr version: there is no games that celebrate the main series, that's not what a spin-off game means

Said it better than I ever could.

Yeah I read it.

Mario Party games aren't Mario anniversary games. Even though anniversaries can have crazy parties.

Anyway, I'm playing Devil's Advocate: well, why can't the Mario spinoffs incorporate RPG elements? Why can't the spinoffs celebrate the Mario series? It's not like they're mutually exclusive and thus cannot interact with each other?

Mario Party X said:
well, why can't the Mario spinoffs incorporate RPG elements? Why can't the spinoffs celebrate the Mario series? It's not like they're mutually exclusive and thus cannot interact with each other?

It's simply because there's absolutely no need to incorporate features specific from RPG games, comparable to why there aren't any references to Mario vs DK, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, etc. either in Mario Party games. Mario RPGs aren't any more special than the other Mario spinoffs, and they don't necessarily "deserve" more attention and notes than the other Mario spin-offs, which are arguably far more popular than the Mario RPGs. When making a Mario Party game, stuff from the core Mario series comes to priority first, then make up your own stuff as you go (hence Mario Party specific characters come into play). Mario Party is a spin-off of the core Mario series, it's expected to have only material from the core Mario series itself.

The only Mario Party that incorporated anything and gave a decent role to something regarding the Mario RPGs was Mario Party 5 where they used the Star Spirits from the first Paper Mario as the hosts. Which I thought was a pretty nice touch for the game myself and I think part of the reason MP5 is my personal favorite of the Gamecube Games.

Though yeah, I don't find it a big deal that the Mario Party games don't dwell too much into the RPGs besides that. Cause yeah, Mario Party is it's own series. If anything, I'd love a new Mario Party that celebrates the series itself by remaking several beloved minigames from the early games, bring back some of the N64 Boards from the past and give them a makeover that make them more dynamic like the Gamecube Mario Party boards, and give some official orchestrated remakes of some classic Mario Party music as well. I don't depend on it to celebrate the entire Mario series whatsoever.

Spike looks funny and he reminds me of Larry Koopa, my favorite “Koopa Kid” so he is definitely welcomed by me.

Pardon me if I was late for this.

Northern Verve said:
The only Mario Party that incorporated anything and gave a decent role to something regarding the Mario RPGs was Mario Party 5 where they used the Star Spirits from the first Paper Mario as the hosts. Which I thought was a pretty nice touch for the game myself and I think part of the reason MP5 is my personal favorite of the Gamecube Games.

Though yeah, I don't find it a big deal that the Mario Party games don't dwell too much into the RPGs besides that. Cause yeah, Mario Party is it's own series. If anything, I'd love a new Mario Party that celebrates the series itself by remaking several beloved minigames from the early games, bring back some of the N64 Boards from the past and give them a makeover that make them more dynamic like the Gamecube Mario Party boards, and give some official orchestrated remakes of some classic Mario Party music as well. I don't depend on it to celebrate the entire Mario series whatsoever.
I'd like it if they also return the unique hosts including Tumble, Belltop, the Toads from Mario Party 1 and Advance, Brighton, Twila, and MC Ballyhoo.

Not surprising really. Hell even spin off mainstays nowadays were completely random when they were first brought in.

Back