Super Mario Maker

I don't even touch regular Expert mode lol

Some of the costumes would REALLY have to be worth it in order for me to play it (So glad I already had Pac-Man and Sonic's Amiibo otherwise I would of had to play Expert to get them)

I've had a large amount of patience to get all the Expert difficulty Mystery Mushroom costumes. If you can reach the final course with all 100 lives, you'll know that the Expert difficulty can feel rather exaggerated.

Anyway, I took a look at the Skewer obstacle, and it seems that at full length, it's 12 tiles long, based on the screenshot below.

Super_Mario_Maker_-_Screenshot_-_SMW_Ghost_House_-_Skewer.png

The update hits today

In the promo vid they released, they showcased a new feature where you can view places where people died in detail.

FINALLY
I
N
A
L
L
Y

GBAToad said:
The update hits today

In the promo vid they released, they showcased a new feature where you can view places where people died in detail.

FINALLY
I
N
A
L
L
Y

The update has not been released at my area yet.

Edit: The update is now available, and I took a look at some of the new elements. Your courses can't contain more than 5 Pink Coins at a single area, and if there aren't any Key Doors, the Key will be discarded.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/wii_u/supermariomaker/sheet/69695/

132- Wolf Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
133- Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)
134- Nabbit (New Super Mario Bros. U)
135- Tetra (The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker)
136- Donbe (Shin Onigashima / Famicom Mukashibanashi: Shin Onigashima) english translation: Famicom Fairytales: New Onigashima
137- Hikari (Shin Onigashima / Famicom Mukashibanashi: Shin Onigashima)
138- Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Tantei Club: Kieta Kōkeisha) english translation: Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir
139- Baby Mario (Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island)
140- Iris Archwell / Ella Mentree (Monster Manor / Streetpass Mansion)
141- Mallo (Pushmo / Pullblox)
142- Bubbles (Clu Clu Land)
143- Disk-kun (Famicom Disk System)
144- Volleyball Player (Volleyball)

Well about ----ing time Baby Mario got added. Wish they created a new sprite based on Baby Mario's overalls appearance but I'm happy he's in the game

Though I guess asking for a goddamn Baby Luigi costume is asking too much out of Nintendo >_________>

they added mallo and nabbit oh my god

dillon next please nintendo

Lucas said:
keys make this game so much more fun
now we just need secret exits
ikr, we essentially have star coins and required boss battles and that gives me so much more to work with

i'm hoping they introduce a world map builder in the next game

GBAToad said:
oh shit i hadn't even thought about that, that would be great

this game has so much to offer but it's missing a whole bunch of stuff that would make me like it even more (e.g. more level themes, water/lava, slopes). some of its restrictions really need to be fixed too, like the bullshit block limit or not being able to have the goal in a sub-level.

part of me thinks that those things won't happen but i'm holding on. i mean, who expected fucking skewers or p-switch doors to get added to this game? they're also slowly adding things that people have been asking for, like keys and checkpoints, so it makes me think that we'll get more of that in the future.

i'm expecting some paid dlc packs for extra level themes later on (most likely other things too). i'm sure nintendo knows they could make a lot of money off of that.

time to bring out The List™

• Luigi in all styles (higher jump, lower traction)
  • Desert theme
    • Drop fire flowers onto certain enemies (Chain Chomp, Hammer Bro) to turn them into their Fire counterparts (Fire Chomp, Fire Bro)
    • Fire Snakes
    • Pokeys (shake vines)
    • Boomerang Bros
    • Spikes
  • Ice theme
    • Ice Flowers (shake Fire Flowers) and Ice enemies (Ice Bro, Ice Piranha Plant)
    • Ability to encase objects in Ice (need to be melted with fire flower)
  • Mini Mushrooms
  • Water, Lava and Sand pools
  • Slopes
  • Nighttime settings for all themes
  • Vertical Levels

et al.

given how nintendo has been approaching mario maker updates i doubt we'll ever get actual dlc but any of these things in an update would be cool

GBAToad said:
That would require you to be able to string your levels together as worlds for public consumption (also, at least twice as generous a default level limit).

Lucas said:
i'm expecting some paid dlc packs for extra level themes later on (most likely other things too). i'm sure nintendo knows they could make a lot of money off of that.
The one I'm always expecting as payfer DLC is the Koopa Kids (sorry, Koopalings). Themes like Desert are probably likely too - or would be if they hadn't waited this long without announcing any, at least!

The Holy Grail of DLC or a sequel (cause there's no way in the aftergame this would be a free update) is surely a Super Mario Bros. 2 style, though. Full on, with ? blocks becoming grass tufts; pick up rather than stomp enemies, and so forth; Koopas becoming Shy Guys, Bowser becoming Wart, etc.

GBAToad said:
time to bring out The List™

• Luigi in all styles (higher jump, lower traction)
How would that work? The Weird Mushroom can already break some SMB-style levels when you get it randomly instead of a Super Mushroom. If you could just choose to play as Luigi (with different traction & jumps), they'd probably make you test with Luigi (both from-start and from-checkpoints) before uploading.

The only way I could see that happening would be with a Luigi Cap-type item that a course creator could put in the level to let (or make!) you play it as Luigi.

GBAToad said:
  • Pokeys (shake vines)
The thing I want if we get more enemies is more variety - you can basically make a Pokey (in function if not in looks) as it stands by stacking Spinies on top of one another.

The things I want most right now are:
(1) More flying enemies - since Lakitu clouds and Clown Cars are so easily hijackable, you can't put them or anything in them within range of the player, most of the winged guys just bounce (or, in the case of Red Koopas, fly only vertically). And Winged Beetles & Spinies aren't stompable, for different reasons. Give me something like a Beezo that can fly horizontally and swoop down on Mario without having to stick them on a specific track.
2) More ranged enemies - nothing except bosses [i.e., Bowser (Jr)s] and unstompable stuff [i.e., Bill Blasters & Cannons. And Piranha Plants, I suppose] fire horizontally. Of your list, Boomerang Bros & Fire Bros would be a good start here.
3) More bosses, or at least the ability to make other enemies "boss like" (i.e., at least three stomps or equivalent to kill). There's only two bosses as it stands, and you can't stick a Key on Bowser because it takes 30 or so fireballs to kill him and you have to keep a Pipe Of Infinite Fire Flowers handy to ensure the player lasts that long.

Oh, and:
4) Add another row to the blinking editor! We're coming up on every item having a Shake, sometimes more than one.

Reboot said:
2) More ranged enemies - nothing except bosses [i.e., Bowser (Jr)s] and unstompable stuff [i.e., Bill Blasters & Cannons. And Piranha Plants, I suppose] fire horizontally.
well there's rocky wrenches

Lucas said:
Reboot said:
2) More ranged enemies - nothing except bosses [i.e., Bowser (Jr)s] and unstompable stuff [i.e., Bill Blasters & Cannons. And Piranha Plants, I suppose] fire horizontally.
well there's rocky wrenches
I suppose. With the hiding and the tiny projectiles, still not ideal though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdafs2bnrTQ

oh my god

GBAToad said:

oh my god

Does she have to sound so obnoxious every time she jumps?!

Anyway, this makes you wonder if the animated programs that have had Mario references in the past may get represented as future Mystery Mushroom costumes, but that seems rather doubtful when copyright comes into play.

GBAToad said:

oh my god
Technically, she's a real life person. Yuu Ayasaki is a voice actress for Mashiko / Mary O and a character from Daigasso! Band Brothers P.
https://twitter.com/Yuu_Ayasaki

Don't get confused for the other Yuu Ayasaki (who also has blue hair). And don't google that, kids.

miiverse is already broken to begin with

even if they did love live it would probably just be whoever the main character is (iirc honoka) because no way im completing a course nine times

Back