Super Mario Maker

Oboro said:
*video*

>tfw not wallace and gromit

why even bother existing anymore
give me a Chevron Car instead goddammit

Well we have the GLA but why the hell not talking cars are awesome

Is Stargazing and/or Nyrie making and/or already made a Squid Sisters level for this? I noticed that was released as a new mystery suit costume with an event course as well. But no one actually mentioned it here surprisingly (And it's been a week since it was announced!)

I think Nintendo promised us that nearly every amiibo is compatible with SMM. Mewtwo and Lucas were revealed in SSB on April 2015, the initial 99 costumes were developed around before E3 2015.

Wolf Link amiibo was revealed, and then have their SMM costume developed before the amiibo's release. Same thing with Callie and Marie.
Why not Roy and Ryu? They were released as Smash DLC during E3 2015 and their amiibo was released on March 2016 (April 2016 in Japan). Nintendo had a lot of time developing the costumes before Roy and Ryu amiibo release.
Will the 2 costumes be revealed alongside the costumes of the last 3 Smash DLC (when their amiibo are revealed to the public)?

But what about Waddle Dee? This amiibo was revealed before Callie and Marie.

I think we may see some stuff coming out of Super Mario Maker in the future.

After the update for the Squid Sisters.

We may get a massive update for the game soon.

Remember when they did their Nintendo maintenance update on the Wii U and hackers had managed to see some of the codes for future costumes and stages?

I think we may get another big update for SMM but with the koopalings as a boss and other Mario like updates to keep the game as cool as it was today.

How good is this game, I haven't got a chance to play it yet myself.

It's good for what it is.

Its features are outclassed by free, ROM hacker level editors such as Lunar Magic, Reggie!, or Super Mario Bros. X, but you get a friendlier user-interface and whatever you generate has a guaranteed chance it won't crash your computer meaning you have to test it less. If you always wanted to make your own Mario levels, I'd say give it a shot.

I do have to point out about all restrictions the game has, and you might be finding yourself running up against them, specifically the block limits and the upload limits. And the most major thing you have to look out for is that Sturgeon's Law is in full effect here: 90% of the levels are made by designers who either don't care, want to troll you, or completely suck, so you have to sift through countless crap to find good levels. Expert and Super Expert are required to unlock some costumes and yes, it requires playing those awful levels (or at least skipping them a dozen times) a consecutive to find a decent challenge.

Nintendo also handles level sharing a bit crappy as well, like tying your ability to share with the numbers of stars you receive, which is supposed to ward off bad level editors but also kills off obscure level editors too. Searching for levels is also a nightmare as well. Mostly the online aspect is where most criticisms of the game is directed at, Nintendo is barely capable of handling things around here.

muddy120 said:
How good is this game, I haven't got a chance to play it yet myself.

You do get to compose your own courses and play courses that the other users have made. Just watch out for the Expert and Super Expert courses, as they can prove to be quite frustrating, especially when you're playing 100 Mario Challenge.

It's been a long time since the last event course.

This is like...our third "Costume Mario drought".

Costume Mario Drought:
1st one was between release date of these event courses: Daisy to E Gadd.
2nd was Yu Ayasaki to Starfy

I tried Super Expert for the first time. This is just awful.
While I can success Expert, I fail at Super Expert. 90% of the levels there have an instant death at the beginning, my favorite one is an horizontal trampoline that pushs you to the pit. So now I took the habit of instantly pressing select at the beginning to see if I will die if I do nothing first frame. It's that's the case, skip.
And then some courses have great level design, such as doors that lead you to death, hidden blocks with zero hint, short timed courses that must be frame perfect to finish.

Cirdec said:
I tried Super Expert for the first time. This is just awful.
While I can success Expert, I fail at Super Expert. 90% of the levels there have an instant death at the beginning, my favorite one is an horizontal trampoline that pushs you to the pit. So now I took the habit of instantly pressing select at the beginning to see if I will die if I do nothing first frame. It's that's the case, skip.
And then some courses have great level design, such as doors that lead you to death, hidden blocks with zero hint, short timed courses that must be frame perfect to finish.

Both expert modes are basically Kaizo Mario in a nutshell. Lots of terrible user-made levels and it makes me glad that 99.9% of these level creators will never work for any gaming companies.

The Mystery Mushroom is said to be Wii U exclusive though, so there probably won't be much to gain by completing the 100 Mario Challenge in the 3DS version.

I imagine Super Mario Maker for the Wii U will have a reduced price when the time for the 3DS version arrives. Certainly the Wii U version has some features, but I can see the price receiving the "Nintendo Selects" treatment between now and December since in people's minds, the 3DS is superior with extra features.

Thanks for reading.

So wait, you can't do Course IDs. But they did say Wii U version maps can show up on at least the 100 Mario Challenge. It makes me wonder if 3DS Maps can also show up on the Wii U version in a vice versa situation.

No way to search from course ID is a dumb decision, that basically removes the point of Mario Maker which is creating levels and sharing them... online.
If it doesn't get patched, no buy for me.

Cirdec said:
No way to search from course ID is a dumb decision, that basically removes the point of Mario Maker which is creating levels and sharing them... online.
If it doesn't get patched, no buy for me.
Not to mention QR codes.

Back