What gamers do you hate?

but are you seriously wishing death on someone simply because they don't like something you like?

gee and i thought you were against the death penalty

Nah, I just wish fire a blazin' on Miis, NSMB, Sonic, and Motion Controls.

Michell said:
but I can't stand motion control

I've been able to deal with it in all games, and even liked it

on occasion I've liked it, IE party games
but with the wii, every 3rd party developer went nuts with it, FPS with motion control, nuh-uh no fun

I only hate Coddies and FIFAies. And people who only care about the graphics. I'm fine with other people's opinions.

Squirtle said:
I only hate Coddies and FIFAies. And people who only care about the graphics. I'm fine with other people's opinions.
Codfish haters unite!
But yeah, graphics-only people suck.

And gamplay-only people aren't exactly the most pleasant to interact with.

Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
And gamplay-only people aren't exactly the most pleasant to interact with.
i shall humbly acknowledge your passive-aggressive comment about discussions on this forum with this smiley

: )

I tend to not get along that well with people who take a shit on storytelling in video games.

Mostly because those people are staunch believers in "storytelling in a game = hour long cutscenes". If it was true that would actually be a pretty valid reason to be scared of storytelling because hour long cutscenes are seldom beneficial for fluent gameplay. But then there's a group of people who adamantly refuse to believe storytelling can be anything else, and who will go apeshit ballistic on you if you even dare imply you're talking about there being stories in their games.

If you want an example of storytelling not getting in the way of game mechanics, take a look at cookie clicker, as banal as that sounds. It's a super simple browser game about clicking on buttons to make numbers go up. Yet in its simplicity it somehow manages to build a world behind itself, and tell a story about a cookie manufacturer's rise to power, gradually turning the world they live in from a normal neighborhood into a hellish nightmare, getting mixed up in a grandmother-driven conspiracy, and making deals with elder gods. All without a single cutscene. And the best thing is: If you don't give a shit, you can actually just ignore it and you won't be at a disadvantage for it. I find that fascinating.

If more games were to follow that example of subtle, unobtrusive storytelling that accentuates, but does not impede the flow of the game, I'm sure the number of people complaining about stories in games would greatly decrease. If a game like that can do it, other games can too. I'm sure of it.

There are games that can tell story without hour-long cutscenes, a.k.a. Zelda, among others.

Pink Gold Tubba Blubba said:
I tend to not get along that well with people who take a shit on storytelling in video games.

Mostly because those people are staunch believers in "storytelling in a game = hour long cutscenes". If it was true that would actually be a pretty valid reason to be scared of storytelling because hour long cutscenes are seldom beneficial for fluent gameplay. But then there's a group of people who adamantly refuse to believe storytelling can be anything else, and who will go apeshit ballistic on you if you even dare imply you're talking about there being stories in their games.

If you want an example of storytelling not getting in the way of game mechanics, take a look at cookie clicker, as banal as that sounds. It's a super simple browser game about clicking on buttons to make numbers go up. Yet in its simplicity it somehow manages to build a world behind itself, and tell a story about a cookie manufacturer's rise to power, gradually turning the world they live in from a normal neighborhood into a hellish nightmare, getting mixed up in a grandmother-driven conspiracy, and making deals with elder gods. All without a single cutscene. And the best thing is: If you don't give a shit, you can actually just ignore it and you won't be at a disadvantage for it. I find that fascinating.

If more games were to follow that example of subtle, unobtrusive storytelling that accentuates, but does not impede the flow of the game, I'm sure the number of people complaining about stories in games would greatly decrease. If a game like that can do it, other games can too. I'm sure of it.
I totally agree with you.

The story is really important to me, personally.

The importance of story depends on the game you're telling

Something like Mario platforming doesn't really need an elaborate story.

Baby Luigi said:
The importance of story depends on the game you're telling

Something like Mario platforming doesn't really need an elaborate story.

Elaborate, no. But even a game like Mario can profit from a simple and subtle one.

First you have to distinguish between story and plot. The plot is just the series of events that happen in the game. The story is the combination of the plot, characters, environmental design, and many other things.

Mario games don't necessarily need an elaborate plot. But some beloved Mario games have actually told simple but engaging stories without much of a plot, just through clever or interesting level design. For example, Yoshi's Island tells a story simply by virtue of all its levels flowing into each other. If you play a cave level, chances are you will actually enter a cave on the first screen, instead of just suddenly being inside one. This flow paints a consistent journey that forms an enjoyable story (while the plot remains unobtrusive and very, very simple). And sure enough, many people enjoyed that game.

Also, I have heard that some people actually miss this sort of story element in the newer Mario games. People complain that there is no consistent progression between levels. At one moment you are in a grassy area, and suddenly you're in a desert. Then you're in an ice level and suddenly you're back to grassland. They would like it if the levels within the worlds would return to being thematically consistent. So it feels like an actual journey.

The look and feel of a level, the landscape, the design of the environment your gameplay takes place in... these are all story elements. And they are important.

Without them, Mario would be a square, sliding over various geometrical shapes and bouncing on other squares.

Also, I have heard that some people actually miss this sort of story element in the newer Mario games. People complain that there is no consistent progression between levels. At one moment you are in a grassy area, and suddenly you're in a desert. Then you're in an ice level and suddenly you're back to grassland. They would like it if the levels within the worlds would return to being thematically consistent. So it feels like an actual journey.

The look and feel of a level, the landscape, the design of the environment your gameplay takes place in... these are all story elements. And they are important.

Without them, Mario would be a square, sliding over various geometrical shapes and bouncing on other squares.
That's what I call level coherence. not necessarily story. I agree there isn't any sort of flow in Super Mario 3D World, for instance. I mean, even in the worlds with a theme, the level themselves have no theme whatsoever. It's just the first level in the world that caters to the so-called world theme. All the rest are a disjointed mess. Other games handle this so much better. In one platformer, you're in an icy world, but you eventually enter a level where you fall and fall into a hot kitchen-style environment, and the rest of the levels are like that. In Galaxy 2, we got the later levels of Cosmic Cove, which was supposed to be a continuity of the first level (you freeze the water first, and the next level has the water still frozen).

Every video game character is technically just a bunch of pixels taking advantage of the phi phenomenon on the screen, but once they're fleshed out, you feel for them.

Every video game character is technically just a bunch of pixels taking advantage of the phi phenomenon on the screen, but once they're fleshed out, you feel for them.

What I mean is he would literally be a square (regardless of the medium he is displayed on), because that's how most game developers develop and polish their gameplay mechanics, before they pretty everything up to look more engaging. If you strip a game down to it's absolute basic naked gameplay, you end up with a bunch of visualized hitboxes and nummerical indicators.

The fleshing out of a character to make you emotionally invested in them is at its core a storytelling technique. You create a vivid character through visuals (and sounds too), which is one of the quintessential goals of storytelling.

What I mean is he would literally be a square (regardless of the medium he is displayed on), because that's how most game developers develop and polish their gameplay mechanics, before they pretty everything up to look more engaging. If you strip a game down to it's absolute basic naked gameplay, you end up with a bunch of visualized hitboxes and nummerical indicators.

The fleshing out of a character to make you emotionally invested in them is at its core a storytelling technique. You create a vivid character through visuals (and sounds too), which is one of the quintessential goals of storytelling.
Just as moviemaking, I suppose. And also, unless you make it out to be special, nobody will be interested in watching boxes and crap interact with each other, so you have to have artists on the game. You need to make your characters not necessarily attractive, but rather, appealing to give an emotional response to your audience. I'm not arguing with you, by the way, I just like to add to what you're saying.

I agree there isn't any sort of flow in Super Mario 3D World, for instance. I mean, even in the worlds with a theme, the level themselves have no theme whatsoever. It's just the first level in the world that caters to the so-called world theme. All the rest are a disjointed mess.
At least 3D World pretended to have world themes. That's certainly more than 3D land can say...

I haven't played 3D world. How does one "pretend" to have world themes?

Back