General Discussion

I'm just hoping people come to an agreement about how poorly-done that proposal was especially since we were given a few years, but there's nothing outlined in this proposal that we can actually do. Maybe we can't veto it, but what do we gain from keeping it here in its current useless state? It's not like we can go back and add more comments about reaching a clear goal. What we can do is to restart this proposal and outline some provisions and then get a new one that passes and get a result we can actually work with.

Princess Mario said:
I mean we create something like Category:Mario images and we just categorize all the artwork and stuff under that. I was thinking how Bulbapedia did it, but I wonder if categories can help too.
That was what I proposed, but that didn't end well.
We could separate subparts, though, e.g. scans from artwork.

The reason it failed was because it was pretty useless and redundant as a category, since the definition of what was classified as a "Mario" image was broad and could theoretically apply to any image that features Mario in it. The gallery does already still keep better track of Mario images than the category does, because it's more specified and therefore more precise than the category is. I do suppose we could split that huge category into "Mario artwork", "Mario sprites", etc but the screenshots are the one that are really iffy to categorize on.

Many wikis that use this type of categorizing don't have character galleries to begin with (eg Bulbapedia) so there's also that.

Time Turner also had a point that it would work more properly if our images had a consistent and normalized naming scheme, in which...well they don't so organization would be a total mess.

LGM you can read this proposal for some reference on why it failed

https://www.mariowiki.com/MarioWiki:Proposals/Archive_48#Add_categories_for_images_of_characters

Template:Image-quality

Can we have a media variant of this template? Like, sometimes, people rip music and sounds that are subpar (i've heard the Chompworks Galaxy have in-game sound effects in the background before it got reuploaded) and thus would make use of a template like this. Also, we could use this to request songs to meet with our current length guidelines for music.

I know that ToadettetheAchiever is banned on MarioWiki because his edits are too forceful and trying to make major changes without prior discussion but he does have a point on merging the mode articles together. There's no reason they should be separate and spliced up into their own articles when they're all game mods ala part of the game and could easily fit into the main body article with tweaks here and there.

The Mini-Game Island article and how Mario Party: The Top 100 organizes its variant of Mini-Game Island has a major discrepancy between each other. We have to settle which one is the better way of organizing them.

Endurance Alley shouldn't be its own article and should be merged with Mario Party 6.

Travel Diary needs to be merged with the Duty-Free Shop

Everything here should be merged with this article (Mario_Party_8#Other_features)

Boss Rush can easily fit into this article like how Decathlon fits into Mario Party: The Top 100 or the Hot-Air Hjjinxs minigames in Mario Party: Island Tour The rest of the Mario Party 9 minigame modes are guilty of this. If you want to know how I want this to be organized, look no further than the Mario Party 6 article on how it decides to organize its modes. All of this is akin to giving Renegade Roundup its own article on MarioWiki and we don't do it because there's no need to split off the game into separate articles.

Anything I missed would probably fit the bill here. Of course, there are major exceptions such as Super Duel Mode but take a look at that article, and you can see why: it has a glut of its own content, its own unlockables, and its own maps, and arguably, I think the vehicle parts in Super Duel Mode should get their own articles like the Mario Kart vehicle parts as they have properties the game doesn't really explain all that well.

If you want my verdict on any other Mario Party mode, feel free to ask.

EDIT: Ignore what I said, there's a proposal on this. I need to kick myself for not checking.

https://www.mariowiki.com/MarioWiki:Proposals#Merge_most_game_modes_into_their_respective_game_articles

Russian Baby Luigi said:
I know that ToadettetheAchiever is banned on MarioWiki because his edits are too forceful and trying to make major changes without prior discussion but he does have a point on merging the mode articles together. There's no reason they should be separate and spliced up into their own articles when they're all game mods ala part of the game and could easily fit into the main body article with tweaks here and there.

The Mini-Game Island article and how Mario Party: The Top 100 organizes its variant of Mini-Game Island has a major discrepancy between each other. We have to settle which one is the better way of organizing them.

Endurance Alley shouldn't be its own article and should be merged with Mario Party 6.

Travel Diary needs to be merged with the Duty-Free Shop

Everything here should be merged with this article (Mario_Party_8#Other_features)

Boss Rush can easily fit into this article like how Decathlon fits into Mario Party: The Top 100 or the Hot-Air Hjjinxs minigames in Mario Party: Island Tour The rest of the Mario Party 9 minigame modes are guilty of this. If you want to know how I want this to be organized, look no further than the Mario Party 6 article on how it decides to organize its modes. All of this is akin to giving Renegade Roundup its own article on MarioWiki and we don't do it because there's no need to split off the game into separate articles.

Anything I missed would probably fit the bill here. Of course, there are major exceptions such as Super Duel Mode but take a look at that article, and you can see why: it has a glut of its own content, its own unlockables, and its own maps, and arguably, I think the vehicle parts in Super Duel Mode should get their own articles like the Mario Kart vehicle parts as they have properties the game doesn't really explain all that well.

If you want my verdict on any other Mario Party mode, feel free to ask.

EDIT: Ignore what I said, there's a proposal on this. I need to kick myself for not checking.

https://www.mariowiki.com/MarioWiki:Proposals#Merge_most_game_modes_into_their_respective_game_articles

Well said. Regrettably, that (and the controversial Donkey Kong Adventure merge) was what got me blocked in the first place, but I'm going to start creating independent proposals for each game mode. Take Baby Luigi's word for it, she can explain my point better than I can.

On the topic of that Dark Horse book proposal, Time Turner questioned this on Discord:

Time Turner said:
when's the last time we have a proposal with 35 voters???

This intrigued me enough to make a report of proposals grouped by vote count. Thought I might as well share it here.

{{ProposalOutcome}} is not formatted properly in three places; it puts the conclusion and votes together in one parameter instead of separate. If fixed there will be literally no visual difference, but semantics.

Archive 1: Mario Awards: Wiki or Forum
Archive 47: Decide if the Mario's Time Machine historical figures are characters and/or people
Archive 51: Add a sentence to {{aboutfile-reminder}} and {{imagecategory-reminder}} stating that if the user ingores them, a warning will be issued

Lakituthequick said:
{{ProposalOutcome}} is not formatted properly in three places; it puts the conclusion and votes together in one parameter instead of separate. If fixed there will be literally no visual difference, but semantics.

Archive 1: Mario Awards: Wiki or Forum
Archive 47: Decide if the Mario's Time Machine historical figures are characters and/or people
Archive 51: Add a sentence to {{aboutfile-reminder}} and {{imagecategory-reminder}} stating that if the user ingores them, a warning will be issued
I fixed the coding on these, in order to be consistent throughout the archives.

Рождественский Малыш Луиджи said:
Template:Image-quality

Can we have a media variant of this template? Like, sometimes, people rip music and sounds that are subpar (i've heard the Chompworks Galaxy have in-game sound effects in the background before it got reuploaded) and thus would make use of a template like this. Also, we could use this to request songs to meet with our current length guidelines for music.

Super-late, but I support the creation of a {{media-quality}}. Considering our recently established rule of trimming full-length audio clips down to 30-second-or-less samples, it's a start.

What would be the most preferrable way to make space tables for the Mario Party boards? I've found 2 different table layouts, which I'll show below.

4UfCLV9.jpg

VP4DC36.jpg

The latter table layout is also used for the MP:IT boards, while me and other people have used the former layout when making tables for MP1-8 and also Super Mario Party.

The horizontal one takes up less space and is preferable to me, but add images to that table too.

For Mario Party 8, could probably call them "DK/Bowser Spaces", since they will always be the same number.

I agree horizontal takes up less space, but I know width issues have occurred in the past regarding screen sizes. I like vertical better.

I personally prefer the vertical ones myself, so I think we're good on this discussion now, unless anyone else feel like bringing something else up regarding this?

I have made a little change in Kerri Kane's personal page.

At the request of Kerri herself i personaly changed the link from her IGDB.com profile to her new Tiny Cows website.

If some of the higher staff is in doubt about this little change you can ask Kerri Kane for confirmation if needed.

Sometimes.

In this particular instance she asked me for the modification of her page since i have asked her some questions to complete the wiki page in the past (around 2014-2015).

She is a very nice and talented lady.

You should be fine, then. Thanks for the notification of that.

I was thinking about creating a Infinite lives page documenting all of the times that there was an infinite lives trick in a game, and Alex95 told me to ask others if they think a page on that should be created, which is what I am asking.

I am completely in support of this.

Yes, I don't see a reason not to. It's even a recurring element in the Mario series, and Nintendo is aware of the trick (such as iirc a segment on 9-Volt in a WarioWare game, I think Smooth Moves, briefly showing Mario from Super Mario Bros. performing that trick).

Doomhiker said:
I was thinking about creating a Infinite lives page documenting all of the times that there was an infinite lives trick in a game, and Alex95 told me to ask others if they think a page on that should be created, which is what I am asking.

That's a great idea.

Back