What do you want in future Mario Installments?

superwesleybros

This is it Luigi!
What would you like to see happen in future Mario games?

I want a Mario game like Super Mario Sunshine. Something with a bigger story. I want characters talking. Platformers can have big stories and still have platforming elements. look at Jak and Dexter or Ratchet and Clank. I'd also like a large free roaming world much like Legend of Zelda/Banjo Tooie where the hub is a massive world with even bigger worlds to explore. I want worlds that are more than just random islands floating in the sky. Heck I'd like a Mario game where you can play as multiple characters and have ride able vehicles. (like Bowser's tanks and mini airships.)

Super Mario 3D World is a step in the right direction. But I don't liked timed levels. I want unlimited time to explore in Mario Games. Much like Legend of Zelda. Heck I'd like to see new Main villains. Wario, Wart, Tatanga!

That's what I want. how about you? :)

I'd like more Yoshi games, but I get the feeling that they may become too samey.

I want more POW blocks. A game with 500% more of them would be the best game ever.

new and creative games that don't feel like clones of their predecessors

which probably won't happen anytime soon unless Miyamato gets fired/retires

I said this once in another thread:

A "Disney Infinity" like game but for the Nintendo series:
(Yes, it isn't a Mario installment but Mario would be in it. Also, it could just be a Mario series Disney Infinity like game, pretty much the same idea. However, a Nintendo one would be better in my opinion)
  • Unlocking characters/items through quests
  • Roaming across an open-world sort of thing
Of course, those are just two bullets. I think a game like Disney Infinity but for Nintendo would be a bold approach, and I think it'd hit back home with millions of fans.

Edit: There would be no figures to buy, as you unlock characters by quests, etc. Just want to make that clear.

Aegislash said:

(Yes, it isn't a Mario installment but Mario would be in it. Also, it could just be a Mario series Disney Infinity like game, pretty much the same idea. However, a Nintendo one would be better in my opinion)
Of course, those are just two bullets. I think a game like Disney Infinity but for Nintendo would be a bold approach, and I think it'd hit back home with millions of fans.

Oh no....

I don't WANT to pay extra for content to make the game at LEAST playable

The first thing I think about from "Disney Infinity" is those figures you must collect, just like... Skylanders...

I don't want this trend taint Mario. It has already caught Pokemon, which is the closest it is so far. :'(

I recently played Mario Party 2 and I loved how every map was unique and held a specific genre.

Western
Space
Horror
Mystery
Pirates

I would love it if a Mario game (in the gameplay style of Galaxy) had genre themed worlds complete with costumes (or powerups that gave characters themed costumes) fitting said genre.

Like in the Western World, Mario could be in his cowboy outfit and he could use a piranha plant fireball gun. In the space world He could have a space suit that could make his jump higher and landing slower. in the Horror world he could use magic to turn enemies into helpful items. In the mystery world, he could us a magnifying glass to reveal hidden secrets or stars and lastly in the Pirate world, he could use a sword or melee weapon. It would also make it feel kind of like the Super Mario Super Show in a way. How cool is that? :)

Funny, my sister and I had a conversation on that. We said it would be awesome, especially if we had new, exciting world themes in the mix (I'd like to have an oriental world).

In Water World, Mario would use a diver suit and his swimming controls will be a dream so we get good water levels... for once.

*Violent dolphin-based underwater combat.
*Mario & co being reimagined as a group of armored vigilantes piloting vehicles that transform into other type of vehicles
*Fatalities in the fencing event of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games

also having some warioware characters in dem spinoffs would be pretty cool *ahem*l

Baby Luigi said:
Aegislash said:

Oh no....

I don't WANT to pay extra for content to make the game at LEAST playable

Mario Party X said:
The first thing I think about from "Disney Infinity" is those figures you must collect, just like... Skylanders...

I don't want this trend taint Mario. It has already caught Pokemon, which is the closest it is so far. :'(

I wasn't thinking about having figures. I guess I should've put that in the earlier post.

Mario Party X said:
Funny, my sister and I had a conversation on that. We said it would be awesome, especially if we had new, exciting world themes in the mix (I'd like to have an oriental world).

In Water World, Mario would use a diver suit and his swimming controls will be a dream so we get good water levels... for once.
I thought the SMG/SMG2 water levels were pretty good.
Maybe that's just me.

oh god in the 2d platformers they're HORRIFIC

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Good, yeah. I like Kingfin's fight, for instance. But, we can do without the air meter.

Mario Party X said:

Yeah! I like that. Here's something to go with that.

Let's say the Boss of Water World was in a Bowser Submarine and Mario had to fight it in his Sea-Pop from Super Mario Land? Kinda like Mario meet's Star Fox kind of level! ;D

Colress said:
Mario Party X said:

I thought the SMG/SMG2 water levels were pretty good.
Maybe that's just me.
No, I also enjoyed SMG's water levels.

Possibly the best water levels created... though that's not saying much.

Really?

I thought the shells made it easy to move around, and you could spin repeatedly to move faster, which was nice.

If it's the inverted controls that got you, then I'm sorry, but

REAL MEN PLAY WITH INVERTED CONTROLS

Dr. Javelin said:

Isn't that supposed to be airplane controls?

No, I wasn't complaining about airplane controls; I was complaining about slow movement speed and an air meter.

Baby Luigi said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Isn't that supposed to be airplane controls?
Yes, that's how inverted controls are. If you've ever used a joystick before, inverted controls on a control stick make much more sense.
Mario Party X said:
No, I wasn't complaining about airplane controls; I was complaining about slow movement speed and an air meter.
IMO the Galaxy movement speed underwater was actually a little faster than running, because you could spin multiple times for multiple speed boosts.

In Galaxy 2, however, there is a delay between spinning, which is a pain, and I think it rids a part of your health meter, which always sucks.

Back