First day of Snowfall!

Baby Luigi said:
Ema Skye said:
You guys raise some good points and now that I think about it, I think it might even be possible that both Hail and Snow are wrong.

What if it was Graupel instead? That would explain why everything would hurt like hail but pile up into soft patches like snow.

Yeah but the game doesn't call it Graupel, despite it being much more accurate. I think Gamefreak got their sciences effed up. I mean, sure, of course it's Pokemon so it's fantasy, but I don't think that's an excuse for not distinguishing between hail and snow, something kids need to be informed about. Because often I see things like, how come it can hail in the summer?

But the game calls the "snow" hail.

Baby Luigi said:
Ema Skye said:
You guys raise some good points and now that I think about it, I think it might even be possible that both Hail and Snow are wrong.

What if it was Graupel instead? That would explain why everything would hurt like hail but pile up into soft patches like snow.

Yeah but the game doesn't call it Graupel, despite it being much more accurate. I think Gamefreak got their sciences effed up. I mean, sure, of course it's Pokemon so it's fantasy, but I don't think that's an excuse for not distinguishing between hail and snow, something kids need to be informed about. Because often I see things like, how come it can hail in the summer?
Well yes, obviously. :P I was basically saying that if there were a weather condition that could provide all the effects of hail and snow in the game's canon then graupel is probably the most likely candidate.

My one question is this: does graupel form under cool conditions? Snow is formed in the cloud, but it doesn't melt until it hits the ground. Rain is essentially melted snow. Sleet is snow that melts halfway or so, but freezes before hitting the ground. Hail is formed by turbulence and convection currents in the thundercloud. Snow and sleet are formed under cold conditions while rain is formed under warmer conditions. Graupel formed from a mix of rain and snow, so I suppose places like Snowpoint City are just slightly above melting point.

Either way, somebody like Candice can hate snow, but love graupel. ;)

Ema Skye said:
Pearl said:
this reminded me of how annoying it is that it's so cold here even though it's supposed to be almost summer
why can't i live somewhere that has normal weather? >.>
So cold it might as well be snowing, mirite?

that's the worst part
it can get cold enough to be miserable, but never cold enough to get snow (well not a significant amount, anyway)

Demidevimon said:
*punches so hard, the ice shatters*

I guess you could call that an icebreaker to this discussion! :dk:

Speaking of ice, I'm pretty sure black ice will soon start forming later on in the season when it gets colder, and I fear for my life if I have to trek across some. I've succumbed to falling over because it kept getting covered by slush.

lol I'm late on this

Michigan and snow are pretty much synonymous. The first snow here was in mid-August, first time it stuck was like, three weeks ago.

On Monday it snowed overnight. A lot. (after Sunday when it was just rain)

THE HELL

IT'S SNOWING HERE

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS THIS

aaand it all melted

It's summer temperatures here. I'm even wearing a tank and some shorts.

Yeah it was freakishly hot today >_>

Back