Super Mario Manga

If I were to create an article on this, what should it be named? Super Mario (Kōdansha Comics)?

Or maybe the long way. Super Mario (Kōdansha Comics Deluxe)?

Bumpity bump, but I'd like to let you know that someone is working on making a synopsis on one volume of the Super Mario-Kun manga. This is really nice because this hasn't happened before.

Great job, Embyr 75!

i'd like to make a synopsis for volume 36 but i can read only the pictures (and some tidbits that 'kazo and others translated) so yeah

I'm just beginning Japanese class, so the best thing I can do so far is "translate" syllables to romaji and most things ending with か is a question while things with です means "it is" or something like that.

don't forget some onomatopoeia and stuff like that

I actually tried doing what MarioWiki:Japanese is saying. I've been putting the stuff I see from scans into Japanese text, and I've been also trying to provide the hiragana for the kanji. Is it really a waste of time or would it make translation... easier?

Gosh, finding the right kanji can be pretty dang hard. :v

It's more for doing dialogue samples on articles without images, since you can just read the Kanji and the furigana right there in the image. It'd be more useful to translate the image (which is what I try to do when I see Japanese or French images) if you want to go the extra mile, but yeah, no sense transcribing them as long as the image itself is legible. (And if MW:J suggests images should be transcribed, I'm really sorry: I don;t remember writing that, and I'll change it to say otherwise if that's the case.)

Scan in the pages, to convert them to copyable characters (unicode) use this program: http://kanjitomo.net/ and for the romanjization (not the actual translation) google translate works fine most of the time.

it at least helps me and I am also just beginning to teach myself japanese.

then again it is probably completely unecessary to convert all the kanji to romanji but whatever

I'd actually recommend against turning everything into romaji if you're trying to learn Japanese. Better to just get used to reading the hiragana and katakana directly: you're going to have to memorize them anyway, so best get started on them sooner than later.

As for Super Mario-kun, most if not all the kanji have furigana provided, so you don't need to use fancy programs to get the readings anyway.

I'm also *really* uncomfortable about using Google Translate for translating entire sentences. I'd trust people like Walkazo to translate my stuff, not machines that spit out stuff that sounds like 17th century writing. Speaking of which, I'm also hesitating to request Walkazo to do more translations, as I'm assuming she's really busy and I hate sounding like I'm so dependent.

I don't need fancy programs either. I'd do the longhand way as it helps me learn my hiragana. I'm literally beginning Japanese; I just finished the first chapter in my class. I think I might transcribe some more stuff just for personal pleasure and gain. It's also easier to copy-paste the stuff into the relevant quote pages if the quote turns out to be pretty relevant (like the part about "You're my one and only brother" thing).

I really want to do more translation stuff, and am totally game to do single panels and things like that, but yeah, I'm stretched way too thinly to try to tackle full pages of chatter atm (like these - I haven't forgotten about the second two, I just can't do them yet).

And yeah, Google Translate is okay for getting single works and maybe verifying stuff or getting a vague idea on sentences, but always cross-reference with actual dictionaries, tutorial sites, etc. Same with things like Yahoo answers or whatever.

I thought you overlooked my post. In fact you already translated that post. This is the one that needs translating, specifically the second and third images (you already translated the first page). But no worries. Take your time. I'm no no hurry anyway.

Luckily my sister is taking Japanese and this is really helping her motivate and aid her in learning Japanese.

Oh, kewl.

SuperBowser_SuperMarioKun_4.jpg

Pretty sure Bowser is screaming "SUPER BOWSER!" but Mario is screaming something here.

Oh, finally, I think one use transcribing image text is for flavor text like this. Oh, even though it would be nice if it were translated, I'm more concerned if the text is original or ripped from perhaps the Japanese game's tattle.

Which one? The flavor text? Go ahead if you want!

Update: Water Mario is a conjecture name in the wiki, but volume 36 in the manga has referred to the attack (when Baby Mario is using it) as ベビィポンプ or "Baby Pump". Maybe we can rename this to Pump Mario or something? Sawada doesn't really invent names and stuff for existing moves.

Walkazo said:
I'd actually recommend against turning everything into romaji if you're trying to learn Japanese. Better to just get used to reading the hiragana and katakana directly: you're going to have to memorize them anyway, so best get started on them sooner than later.

Well yeah I'm trying to learn them atm, it's just that I want to get some practise while I'm at it.

Romanizing is just remember what sounds the kana make and then writing it out in roman letters. Better to try to just get used to seeing the hiragana and katakana and knowing they make the sound, rather than focusing on the conversion to the romaji, since then you'll get to know words and things in their native form (well, almost: kanji's the ultimate reading goal for most words, of course) and it'll make reading faster.

Dr. Mario said:
Oh, kewl.

[pic]

Pretty sure Bowser is screaming "SUPER BOWSER!" but Mario is screaming something here.
Yeah, "Super Koopa". Mario's saying "Just your head became huge!?", but he's also making a clever lolpun or something, in that he adds the -i at the end of the "dake ka?" to make it sound like "dekai" (huge), like in the onset of the sentence ("dekakunatta" - "dekai" conjugated to be "became huge"). At least, I think that's what's going on.

Dr. Mario said:
Oh, finally, I think one use transcribing image text is for flavor text like this. Oh, even though it would be nice if it were translated, I'm more concerned if the text is original or ripped from perhaps the Japanese game's tattle.
Explaining, yes, but transcribing? No, the image is legible (the illegible kanji have furigana so it's okay), so that's good enough.

Can't translate that atm, tho. Too much writing, not enough time TxT And on that note...

Florence said:
well, i can translate it if youre too busy...

but i don't have to, if you want to do it
Translation help's always appreciated. It's not very much use to anyone if I want to do it but don't because I'm always too busy, after all.

Baby Luigi said:
I thought you overlooked my post. In fact you already translated that post. This is the one that needs translating, specifically the second and third images (you already translated the first page). But no worries. Take your time. I'm no no hurry anyway.

Luckily my sister is taking Japanese and this is really helping her motivate and aid her in learning Japanese.
D'oh. And yeah, I don't overlook any translation requests (on purpose), just have to pass the ones that I now I can't do and put off the ones I can do, just not in the immediate future - but I try to remember (although evidently, I should remember better about which ones in particular are still pending translation, lol).

Yeah, being able to translate Mario stuff was my motivator for learning Japanese - still is, but I can't take the courses anymore for the time being.

Walkazo said:
Yeah, "Super Koopa". Mario's saying "Just your head became huge!?", but he's also making a clever lolpun or something, in that he adds the -i at the end of the "dake ka?" to make it sound like "dekai" (huge), like in the onset of the sentence ("dekakunatta" - "dekai" conjugated to be "became huge"). At least, I think that's what's going on.
That could be the case. か is a question character, right? It's not normal to input ? but I think Sawada did that to make the pun work.

... right?

I wasn't expecting you to translate the thing. I'd just like to know if the "information" is copy-pasted from the game's Japanese script or it's original text.

So...Petey Piranha isn't a transvestite in this?

Thanks a lot of the translation! This is going to help in the wiki...

Florence said:
baby luigi: no choice but to go
baby mario: yeah
mario: waiiiit!!

This corresponds to the panel with all those silhouettes? Isn't the talking order Mario, Baby Mario, then Baby Luigi?

Florence said:
mario(?): they're not vicious at all!!
I think that's Luigi.

The rightmost guy is definitely Mario. The one that isn't talking is Luigi. The babies are much less clear-cut, but both Luigi and the last figure have sweat drops, and considering their personalities, I'd say that the left-most figure is Baby Luigi.

Thanks a bunch for the translation! I'm not sure what Tongue Piranha is either, since there's only one Petey Piranha in the game itself. Anyway, I'll probably upload more pages soon.

Back