Super Mario Manga

Dr. Mario said:
Bumpity bump, but I'd like to let you know that someone is working on making a synopsis on one volume of the Super Mario-Kun manga. This is really nice because this hasn't happened before.

Great job, Embyr 75!

Whoo! Shout out to me! :eekdance:

I'm really looking forward to working on this project more. Thanks for the introduction to the board Mario! Beware, I'll be lurking. :shifty:

You did good pal. Keep up de good work

I just bought two more Super Mario-Kun manga, volume 33 and volume 48. I have some text if you don't mind.

Donkey Kong: 早く賈いに行かなくつちゃ!! (store says "おもちゃ")

Donkey Kong:ミ二マリオ ある?
Sales Toad: それならそこに...

Donkey Kong: おー... これ!! これ!! とってもかわいい ミミマリオ。 (he's referring to an ugly Mario toy with huge ears, earrings, licking his chops, stubble, nose holes, smug-looking eyes, and angry eyebrows; it costs 1050 yen and has 税込 next to it; tax included?)

Donkey Kong: ... ってこんなもんいるかー!!

Donkey Kong:ミ二マリオ がほしいんだよ〜!!
Sales Toad: ミ二マリオは売り切れです。

Donkey Kong: ここも売り切れ!! この店も売り切れかよー!! この店も......!

DK: "I have to go buy [one] fast!"
Store: "Toys"

DK: "Are the Mini-Marios here?"
Clerk: "Well, [they're] over there..."

DK: "Ohh... this? This? Totally cute Mimi-Mario!" (mimi = eye - it's a lolpun)
Tag: "tax included"

DK: "...what's this thing here?" (i.e. "...wtf is this shit?")

DK: "Mini-Mario is what I want!" (and the clerk should know that)
Clerk: "The Mini-Marios are sold out."

DK: "[They're] sold out here too!! How could this store [be] sold out too!! This store too......!"

Is "Mimi Mario" supposed to be a bootleg?

Oh, and that thing gets humorously offered again when Donkey Kong breaks in the Toy Company.

This reminds me of amiibos, lol.

I'll post a few more if you want. I'll try to go concise and easy, although this one part kind of confuses me.

In volume 23, there is this, uh, unkempt Big Boo (he looks like a balding middle-aged man with stubble like a beard and hair on his tail). There is one panel where he acts all dramatic with stars on his eyes, elaborately drawn flowers nearby, and the text written all in fancy-ish writing. そ is also written in its alternate version (where the top looks like a Y rather than a Z)

Unkempt Big Boo guy says は〜い, responding Wario's query earlier.
Mario: こんなおやじ、このゲームに、いたっけ!? (breaking the fourth wall is common in this manga)
Unkempt Big Boo guy: おやじって言うな。テレサだ
Mario: うそつけー!
Unkempt Big Boo guy (where he has those sparkly eyes and the flowers and a different font): うそじゃないのよ.........。長〜い間,ここで船のみはりをさせられて......, 気づいたらこんなおやじになってしまってた。
Mario: おばけが年をとるんかいっ!!

As for that づ mark, it strongly resembles that mark. It's not angular like ブ (it's rounded like つ), but if there's a better mark that makes more sense, let me know.

i dont think that the hiragana tsu is actually used to write zu, because you usuallly use su for that

would post signs but im on my wii u, hopefully someone understands

Eri Ayase said:
i dont think that the hiragana tsu is actually used to write zu, because you usuallly use su for that

would post signs but im on my wii u, hopefully someone understands
It's normally not, but it looks mostly like the unconventional づ (it looks like a backward C with a dialect), so I went with that.

it makes sense because its a word written in hiragana and it wouldnt make sense t o have just one katakana letter in between

づ is used sometimes for kanji, and is the standard way to write that particular word (気付く).

Boo: Yesss
M: Eh... Did the game have this old man?
Boo: Don't say old man. It's Teresa (Boo).
M: Liar!
Boo: You know that's not true. For a looong time, I've been forced to guard this ship... If you've noticed, it turned me into an old man. (or something like that)
M: Do ghosts even age!!

Huh, I have some Mario manga too. Mainly working on completing Mario-kun right now.

TheUltimateMarioFansCollection249.jpg

TheUltimateMarioFansCollection251.jpg

TheUltimateMarioFansCollection199.jpg

TheUltimateMarioFansCollection233.jpg

TheUltimateMarioFansCollection095.jpg

TheUltimateMarioFansCollection162.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

TheUltimateMarioFansCollection200.jpg

Not all of it but most of it. A few of those are so rare that I can't find page images online anywhere.

Well the MarioWiki could use your help..... :P

Yeah, we could really use some of these scans there.

I'm especially interested to see how Baby Luigi is portrayed in your Yoshi's Island manga

Talking about nonSuper Mario Kun ones of course, I've already seen and uploaded images of Baby Luigi there into MarioWiki.

TheUltimateMarioFansCollection200.jpg

Verrrrry interested in those two. Mario and Luigi look friggin' adorable.

Eri Ayase said:
from what i can tell those are 4koma mangas, and i dont think any of the ones we already know about use that.
Yeah, 4koma mangas... there is one 4kmoa manga in the wiki right now, and that's... uh... interesting. I like the art style in some of them, though.

I'm still interested in them.

Omg, sooo jealous of that manga collection! More info would definitely be awesome; scans of the covers of non-Super Mario-kun books would also be hugely appreciated. Sadly, we can only have the occasional excerpt pages here and there of the content itself to avoid copyright issues (although you might not wanna scan pages anyway, so as not to bend your book spine and whatnot).

Oh yeah, don't break the book spines for the sake of it. Even opening the pages and taking a picture will suffice. I'm just itching to see what's inside those. Speaking of which, I just bought a Super Mario 3D World one and that Paper Mario one with the Mario vs. Donkey Kong thing in it.

Sure thing paisanos! I'll be glad to help. I recently picked up a scanner from a thrift store and I'll have to see if it works, otherwise I'll just take some photos of the inside pages in the meantime. The Mario manga are great--there's a lot more out there than just Super Mario-kun! :mario:

I would kind of like to set up a collection thread before I do that though. Where would be the best board to make it? It isn't exactly fan creations because I didn't "create" my Mario collection. I would also be willing to use the collection to help the Wiki.

The Marioverse

Wow, it's pretty recent, but Super Mario-Kun is apparently getting localized in France since July 2015, under "Super Mario: Manga Adventures". Pretty exciting because it's in a language more of us can understand and translate (including me).

I believe this version has some translating errors according to a commenter in the link below (Norton for Morton, Bowser Jr.), but either way, I'd like to look at the French version some day.

http://www.manga-news.com/index.php/actus/2014/09/08/Super-Mario-Le-manga-chez-Soleil

super-mario-manga-adventure-ext-1-soleil.jpg

sample image

Also afaict, it's getting localized since last december and is up to Vol. 5

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario:_Manga_Adventures

Et merde, ça m’embarrasse presque de ne pas avoir su ça plus tôt.

Cela dit, joli trouvaille.

Back