Super Mario Manga

Re: Super Mario 4koma Manga Theater

Wha-? Do you even own the entire comic?

How can you judge what's going on by only a few images here and there in the manga?

DragonFreak said:
There's like no suspense in that at all.
Do you really expect suspense in a cutsey series with covers like these?

384px-SMK2.jpg
385px-SMK9.jpg
Mario-kun-37.jpg

I expect sheer stupidity and craziness, and even in the ones based on RPGs, I never expect it to take itself too seriously.

Baby Luigi said:
Should I rename this thread to accommodate the Super Mario-Kun as well? Because we had found a download of a whole bunch of Super Mario-Kun scans (sadly doesn't have the one I want) and we'll be happy to share it to the wiki.

Again asking for this

Baby Luigi said:
Baby Luigi said:
Should I rename this thread to accommodate the Super Mario-Kun as well? Because we had found a download of a whole bunch of Super Mario-Kun scans (sadly doesn't have the one I want) and we'll be happy to share it to the wiki.

Again asking for this

You can see right through me, pal. Of course you know what I'm thinking, lady.

Of course man, we share like the same brain. But I'm asking anyone else to see if it's all right if I rename this thread to accommodate all Mario manga

From the rules thread:

The title of a thread has to clearly indicate what it's about. As a project advances and changes, the title can be modified.

Go wild.

Baby Luigi said:
How can you judge what's going on by only a few images here and there in the manga?
Because I'm good like that.

Mario Party X said:
DragonFreak said:
There's like no suspense in that at all.
Do you really expect suspense in a cutsey series with covers like these?

384px-SMK2.jpg
385px-SMK9.jpg
Mario-kun-37.jpg
No.

Then, I'm wondering, what did you expect?

Anyway, there is an end-of-chapter page that shows apparently in-game information for each character. It also seems to show a brief description, but I don't know if it's original or tattle information. Here's one for General Guy.

481px-GeneralGuy_Stats_SuperMarioKun.jpg

These scans sure do have some very interesting stuff. I wonder if there's any WarioWare content.

Wow, this stuff is really cool. The comic strips really liven up all of the articles that feature them. I'm also curious, what else there is to upload?

GBAToad said:
Wow, this stuff is really cool. The comic strips really liven up all of the articles that feature them. I'm also curious, what else there is to upload?

A ton of other things. We recently got one that took some stuff from Wario's Woods, Super Mario Bros. 2 USA, and some Dr. Mario stuff. The 6 volumes we have so far doesn't really cover the span of the series, huh?

Glowsquid said:
These scans sure do have some very interesting stuff. I wonder if there's any WarioWare content.

I haven't seen any WarioWare-related stuff, unfortunately.

It's possible they MIGHT have a small sub-section in a manga of some other subject devoted to it (like a WarioWare in the middle of a, say, Paper Mario.

Yeah, who knows? This stuff is exciting, though, so dissecting these manga is like opening a present.

Lefty and I recently got hold of 4 volumes of the Super Mario-Kun. Man, volume 36 happened to be there, so I was lucky enough to obtain it. Man, what I seen in the comics is just pure awesomeness.

What happened is that Baby Luigi built a snowman (I don't even know why). They go into a sticky situation with the Shroob commander, so the snowman tries to save them. And this happensV

BabyLuigiSnowmanSMK36.jpg

IceFlowerBabyLuigiSMK36.jpg

These pages are, by far, the most f---ing awesome moments in the entire Super Mario-Kun

(well, except for the part where Baby Luigi shouts something angrily, and Baby Luigi pokes Baby Mario's nose in revenge to a fake Baby Mario doing the same thing earlier)

It's been a joy ride having these comics, and a real treat, even though I can't understand anything but character names and what goes on in the pictures (usually nonsensical stuff). It's Mario on crack basically, and I love it.

Is anyone nice to translate these parts? I want to add these to the MarioWiki so badly and a translation can help understand these parts better.

We'll upload more of these here, of course....and ask for translation as well ^^

This is interesting: it reveals Yoob's backstory, lol

YoobSMK36.jpg

Indeed it is.

Even ---ing Bluster Kong makes an appearance

BlusterKong_SMK_.jpg

Good thing Lefty and I live relatively close to Los Angele's Little Tokyo where they sold the books.

Bluster and the cartoon version of Candy Kong? Very interesting... Anyway, here's a quick translation of the snowman showdown (for the SFX, remember that "iii" sounds like the letter "E", "oooo" sounds like the letter "O", not the word "too", and "eee" sounds like the vowel in "meh"):

---

FIRST PAGE:

Shroob: In the way!
"BARI BARI" [laser SFX]
Baby Luigi: Aaa! It's destroyed again!
Snowman(?): Waaaa!
"BAKAAN"

BL: You're next!
"BATSU"
Baby Mario: Luigi!

Shroob: You got a problem with that!
BL: Hiiiiii No! No! Sorrrry.

BL: I'm useless after all...
Snowman's disembodied spirit (?): Baby Luigi (Chibi Luigi-chan), do your best! Use this flower...
BL: This is the flower I decorated [the snowman with(?)]...
Snowman: Yes... That changed into an item of my power...

Second page:

BL: Ice flower!
"PIKIIN"
Mario: Ehhhh
Baby Mario: Baa!

Shroob: Some kind of rice flower?
BL (maybe?): Not RICE! ICE!

BK: Baby Luigi! Ice attack! Baaai!
"BYU BYU BYU"
Shroobs: Waaa! Aaaa! Hiii!

Third page:

"KACHIIN" [freezing SFX]
BL: I did iiiiit! (yataaa!) I did it! I did it! I beat [them]!

BL: Hey hey! I'm amazing!

"KACHIIN"
Luigi: It flew over here too,
Mario: We also went "kachin kachin".
BM: Luigiiiiii.
"DO DOOOO" [Luigi falling in the snow in embarrassment SFX]

BL: [I] can melt you with a fireball!
"BOOOO" [fire SFX]
M: Hot waa!
Snowman: You're a good fellow, Baby Luigi. This time, you were the hero.

---------

And here's the Yoob one. It's not a backstory, tho, but it seems that Sunnycide sent him out to find Mario & Co. and he started out as a smaller (yet still kinda big) Yoshi.

---

First page:

"NOSOOO"
Sign: 'Super Mario-kun' serialization 16th anniversary * * Congratulations! [signed] All the Yoshis"
Yoob: Hoyo~ <3
Mario: A fat Yoshi?
Offscreen: Until the next story, [I'm] pull[ing you] over there. (?)

Yoob: <3
M: Heee

Yoob: [music note]
M: A happy fellow!

"BAKU BAKU MUJA MUJA"
Baby Mario: But he's [also] a gluttonous fellow.

Luigi: Setting that aside for a moment (sore yori = a way to change the subject), we [should do something about] Baby Bowser quickly...
M: Yeah yeah huh?

"PIKAA"
M: Aaa! This guy's being an idiot!

Second page:

Baby Bowser: [too blurry to read]
M: So, [let's] leave quickly.
Yoob: Hoyo.
Sunnycide (I presume): You've found Mario. Now's your chance.

Sun: Alright, use your body.
"PIYON"

"MUKU MUKU MUKU MUKU DOKA"
M: What the-?

Yoob: Geshiiii!
"DON"
Baby Bowser: Rewa~!
M: Dowaaaa! It's become huge!
L:Hiee!

--------

And the Kong one:

---

Box 1: Candy Kong
Candy: Welcome! We waited for you!
Bluster: What? Donkey!
Box 2: Donkey's rival in love, Bluster Kong

Thank you so much for translating it! I can't express my gratitude further than this post...

However, I'm sorry for the blurriness in some parts. I had to crush the book in the scanner with the risk of breaking its spine and breaking its spine is the last thing I want to happen, since I don't want too much damage done to these books (I find them pretty precious).

Here is some context: Mario and Luigi are engaged in a fight, Mario & Luigi style (nodding from New Super Mario Bros. DS). Luigi became giant at one point, but Mario rams a star into Luigi's lower belly (or his manhood area?). Luigi is next seen on the verge of a cliff, and Mario panics and quickly grabs Luigi's hand. Then, this.

SuperMarioKun_MariovsLuigi_36.jpg

Wonder what's going on?

Mario: "It's good if we find such stars [not sure about this sentence]. You are my most important only younger brother."

Luigi: "Thanks, older brother."

Mario: "Ah, (a) new variety of star! [top panel with star] This star is cute!" [bottom panel with star]

Luigi: "Older brother!!!!!!!!!"

[kuso - post conflict... but I already finished my translation so I'm posting it anyway; also, lol, the same sentence gave us both trouble, hehe]

M: As long as I find that Star, it's good (or something like that?). Because you are... my one and only beloved little brother.
L: Thank you, big bro...
"GUII"

Star: Uufuure!
"BOYOYOON"
M: Ah! A new kind of star!

M: This star's cute <3
L: -tst EEEE!

L: Big brooooooo!
"HIYUUUUUUU"

Baby Luigi said:
Thank you so much for translating it! I can't express my gratitude further than this post...

However, I'm sorry for the blurriness in some parts. I had to crush the book in the scanner with the risk of breaking its spine and breaking its spine is the last thing I want to happen, since I don't want too much damage done to these books (I find them pretty precious).
You're welcome. It's fun to translate - they use common enough language that I don't have to look up every word, and it's good practice for me. Plus it is indeed Mario on crack, and there's a lot of motivation to figure out what in the world is happening.

No worries - I totally understand. If you really wanna know the blurry parts, you could always try transcribing them by hand and scanning that in: it'll probably be good enough to read.

Shoutmon said:
Walkazo said:
Princess: "Why hello there <3 heehee" (literally, a formal greeting like "best regards", plus "ne"; the laugh is "ufu")
Wario: "Ugh! You're not my type!!"
Scientist: "[Here's] the picture but... the wonderful girl... isn't good..." (or something like that; it's tricky because "erai" can be "terrible" or "great" depending on the context, and I'm not completely sure the "cha" is a shortening of "chan" or if "i ja na" is actually "not good"; another, looser way to interpret the comment would be "She doesn't look like her picture...")

And for the cat panel, the cat meows "nya" and Wario says "Ah, that cat again!"
idk whether its helpful or just annoying for me to dredge up this old post to tell you so, but

じゃん doesn't really mean じゃない. it's actually closer to だ. wario is saying she looks just like him

also i think arewo stein (is that his name?) is saying "写真とは、 偉い 違い じゃ な" where じゃ is the way of saying だ in some parts of japan, and な is the uh... slang way of saying ね. so basically i think it means "theres a great difference from the photo, huh...". i don't know though, does that guy usually have an accent? i've never heard him talk before
It's helpful. The bloody accents and slang always screw me up (its why WarioWare internet stuff is such a pain to try and translate: so much text, so much Kansai-ben); i.e. in the above translation, I couldn't figure out why he's saying スターなんて - it's emphasis, right? But why use it then?

Back