Should we bring doubles back to mariokart?

Should we bring back the doudble dash style gameplay in the next game

• Definitely

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • I'd gladly do it

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I don't think so

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dorayaki said:
The other unneglectable factor is roster. Though we can create many different teams, it also doubles the chance that one character has to be in a race. In Kart Wii, there are 12 Karts but only 12 start racers. If we bring DD mode in Kart 8, there must be 24 starters and more than 36 total characters. It's quite a problem for Nintendo.

Doesn't sound much a problem to me. I like huge rosters. It's worth the effort.

Mario Party X said:
Dorayaki said:
The other unneglectable factor is roster. Though we can create many different teams, it also doubles the chance that one character has to be in a race. In Kart Wii, there are 12 Karts but only 12 start racers. If we bring DD mode in Kart 8, there must be 24 starters and more than 36 total characters. It's quite a problem for Nintendo.

Yeah, and the Wii U is capable. I'm hoping for 36 minimum, maybe up to 50 characters this time.

Fifty is a stretch. Meanwhile, thirty-six is plausible.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Mario Party X said:
Yeah, and the Wii U is capable. I'm hoping for 36 minimum, maybe up to 50 characters this time.
As I said, the problem is not to fans, but Nintendo. We haven't seen a Mario spinoff for Wii U, but we don't know whether Nintendo would just go for much more characters or more refinement. Smash Bros 4 is a good example.

Simply judged by the growth of roster in each generation, Kart 7 already showed that there weren't 25 characters. If Nintendo agree with this idea, 24/36 characters is a reasonable number I think.

Dorayaki said:
Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Mario Party X said:
As I said, the problem is not to fans, but Nintendo. We haven't seen a Mario spinoff for Wii U, but we don't know whether Nintendo would just go for much more characters or more refinement. Smash Bros 4 is a good example.

Simply judged by the growth of roster in each generation, Kart 7 already showed that there weren't 25 characters. If Nintendo agree with this idea, 24/36 characters is a reasonable number I think.

Mario Kart 7 couldn't handle 25 characters. Its roster did grow in comparison with the previous handheld Mario Kart, which was Mario Kart DS.

I expect 30-36 characters in Mario Kart 8.

Kingbowser99 said:
also saying that doubles is a one time exclusive idea and should be kept to one game is bullcrap

I mean they brought back bikes after a long while, why not this

They may have brought back the bike appearance, but not the bike mechanic. As far as I can tell, they're identical to karts aside from the wheel count.

Baby Luigi said:
It's a double edged sword. On one hand, not bringing back Double Dash mode makes the game more unique and much more of an experience, on the other hand, bringing it back gives newer players an opportunity to play it. I'm mixed on this.

I'm not sure how valid the source is, but Wii U Daily said the Wii U VC could support GameCube games in the future. Assuming this is true, Nintendo could just port Double Dash to he VC and kill two birds with one stone.

Anser said:
Mario Kart 7 couldn't handle 25 characters. Its roster did grow in comparison with the previous handheld Mario Kart, which was Mario Kart DS.
You know what I meant. 24 / 50 is more than doubling and is an impossible growth rate, compared with either Kart DS or Wii.

Dorayaki said:
Anser said:
You know what I meant. 24 / 50 is more than doubling and is an impossible growth rate, compared with either Kart DS or Wii.

We agree on that. Plus, who would they make playable? There aren't many charactes worth including in Mario Kart after all (let's not start with the stupid Fawful argument again). They would have to make a freaking Goomba playable.

Anser said:
Plus, who would they make playable? There aren't many charactes worth including in Mario Kart after all (let's not start with the stupid Fawful argument again). They would have to make a freaking Goomba playable.
Excluding RPG (but it is a solution to species problem), there are tons of secondary characters and DK/Wario characters that haven't made it. The Kart roster doesn't have to be as complete as Baseball/Football, but Nintendo is able to make a roster of 40 notable characters only if they want to.

No offense to any Wario fans, but I don't really want to see any Wario characters in the Mario Kart series. I just don't see them being good additions other than Warioware players, and it would be like MSM roster where there are just some random characters that aren't in the normal Mario games and it'll just be weird.

I can understand Yoshi and DK characters since they are more tied to Mario in many ways (especially the Yoshi series), but Wario has really been a separate thing from the Mario series. I mean, I don't mind Dixie coming in as well, but I don't want the Mario Kart series to slowly be taken over by the Kong family, and being less of a Mario Kart game. I mean, 3 Kongs appeared in Mario Kart Wii, which is quite a lot for a non-DK game.

Now, I will say that even though I do find the species problem to be a...well, problem (excuse my lack of better word choice), I honestly don't see it as that much of a problem. I mean, generic characters I see being less of a problem than adding some rather minor characters like Nabbit, or when they added Honey Queen. Like, I think that having a generic Koopa Troopa or generic Lakitu is better in terms of favorably to that character than specific minor characters (more people would like that character if it was more generic rather than being like HQ where only a few people like that character because of the specific character). Just because there isn't a stand-out character out of the species, I honestly don't mind. I mean, heck, I would love to play as Blooper as a Mario Kart driver, and I don't think that it should be shunned upon if that character was added instead of perhaps a somewhat minor character. I mean, sure, it lacks uniqueness a bit and does take a space that a specific racer could have had, but this is kind of like a first world problem in terms of Mario Kart issues. I only see it becoming more of a problem when they start making more generics than they do unique characters.

I'm sure that many of you disagree with my opinion, but that's how I feel.

cryoAwakening said:
No offense to any Wario fans, but I don't really want to see any Wario characters in the Mario Kart series. I just don't see them being good additions other than Warioware players, and it would be like MSM roster where there are just some random characters that aren't in the normal Mario games and it'll just be weird.

I can understand Yoshi and DK characters since they are more tied to Mario in many ways (especially the Yoshi series), but Wario has really been a separate thing from the Mario series.
I actually don't disagree, but it's more like Nintendo's fault because they decide to make more Wario games but didn't really try to merge them together (eg, lacking Waluigi in Warioware). IMO, some Wario characters who are familiar with vehicles do make cool appearances in a kart race.

cryoAwakening said:
I do find the species problem to be a...well, problem (excuse my lack of better word choice), I honestly don't see it as that much of a problem. .
As you said, it's more like comparison than a problem. It only depends on if Nintendo is willing to put more unique or secondary characters in (eg, Toadsworth) or find better substitution like those species characters.

At the risk of derailling the thread, I don't see how Wario characters are any more ill-fitting than DKC characters were in 2003, back when Toadstool Tour and Double Dash were released.

They should so add Shokora to the roster.

Demidevimon said:
Shokora said:
If they do that I might 'accidently' drive her off a cliff, several times
I laughed, but it wasn't funny :rolleyes:

Shokora said:
Demidevimon said:
Shokora said:
If they do that I might 'accidently' drive her off a cliff, several times
I laughed, but it wasn't funny :rolleyes:
Don't worry it'd only be off cliffs, the lava doesn't that.

And thanks for laughing :)

cryoAwakening said:
No offense to any Wario fans, but I don't really want to see any Wario characters in the Mario Kart series.
I don't see how anybody would take offence to your opinion. Just wanted to throw that out there.

The only Wario character I love to kill is Wario

Back