Your Worst Mario Characters

See, 7GrandDad, you bring up Mario Kart online use, but if Daisy was so popular that she was used a lot in Mario Kart Wii, why is she not used equally as much in Mario Kart 7 or Mario Kart 8? Or Mario Kart DS? And what about Morton, why him before Bowser and Wario? It has to be the stats. And perhaps the misguided perception that Morton is somehow better than Bowser and Wario simply because he's used more. Positive feedback loop. It's why I avoided using the Mario Kart online usage argument in the first place. I'm betting Rosalina is used a decent amount of times in other games like Smash Bros. or Mario Tennis, not just one game.

Rosalina got in Smash Bros. AND playable in a Mario platformer.

That alone should be proof that Rosalina resonates enough with the fans and Nintendo themselves. Those 2 things were pretty big deals. And pretty much solidifies Rosalina as a character Nintendo supports more then any other characters that were NPCs in a Mario platformer and/or only playable in Mario Kart/Party/Sports/etc.

Gee, maybe because 7 and 8 are nowhere as popular as Wii? Also keep in mind that most didn't bother using anyone in 7 aside from Metal Mario or Miis.

And Morton is simply because he's 'new', the same reason for Funky + Miis in Wii and Metal Mario in '7'. I'm not saying Daisy is 'loved', but Rosalina is nowhere as well received as some people might think.

Also the Smash Bros example isn't a good one, since Dr. Mario got into Smash, and he definitely isn't 'popular'. And you can say the exact same for the two Toads in NSMB. That's not even taking in the fact that Smash WiiU (when not combined with the 3DS version) and 3DWorld are the worst selling games in their series.

What does playerbase have to do with this? We're talking about proportion, and I think the size of the playerbase in those Mario Karts are still big enough to make a judgment on who's used the most or not.

I think it's a combination of stats and novelty, but Daisy and Rosalina still weren't new characters at the time, so I still think it has to do with stats more than anything. BTW, Baby Daisy received an acceleration boost as well as a speed boost, opposed to Baby Luigi getting a weight boost, and maybe stat abusers think that's a better trade-off?

Dr. Mario was resource-light, so they can afford to put someone like him in, as random as he is. If he weren't a clone of Mario, he probably wouldn't have gotten in, or he might have had a niche role similar to Ice Climbers and R.O.B.. Same applies for the Toads, who, again, were resource-light, not because Nintendo wanted those two over other characters.

Sales is a red herring and has nothing to do with this argument.

''but Rosalina is nowhere as well received as some people might think.''

>Appeared literally one time in 2007

Suddenly becomes playable in 2008.

Returned for a sequel in a game where she was really not needed

Still appeared in MK7 even when handhelds cut characters that are not ''basic''

Too add to that , appeared even when Waluigi DID NOT.

Was the only MKWii newcomer to return in every subsequent MK game after Wii

Playable in 3D World

Playable in EVERY spin off sequel in the recent years.

Vocally liked by many

Playable in Smash , which is a huge deal since we all know Smash includes the series All stars of each series.

Has been included in recent merchandise , in which not even Daisy appears

Has an animated sticker alongside Mario , Luigi , Yoshi , Peach , Bowser and Toad aka the ''Big'' Mario characters

--------------------------

Yeah , i guess she is not well recived :/

To be fair, she was absent in Mario Super Sluggers, Fortune Street, Mario Party 9, Mario Tennis Open, a lot of Mario & Sonic games, Mario Sports Mix, played virtually no role in Galazy 2.

At the time, I was even wondering where she went. Those times.

And then 3D World came along and ruined everything. ;)

Grunty Industries said:
Was Baby Luigi used often online in MKW? He has the same speed boost as Baby Daisy.

He was outclassed by her, as my twin said. She received an acceleration and drift boost as well, Baby Luigi had a weight boost.

However, people forgot that Baby Luigi has a hidden stat, which was being awesome.

LeftyGreenMario said:
played virtually no role in Galazy 2.

Wasn't she a framing device for that game?

Baby Luigi said:
Grunty Industries said:
Was Baby Luigi used often online in MKW? He has the same speed boost as Baby Daisy.

He was outclassed by her, as my twin said. She received an acceleration and drift boost as well, Baby Luigi had a weight boost.

However, people forgot that Baby Luigi has a hidden stat, which was being awesome.

LeftyGreenMario said:
played virtually no role in Galazy 2.

Wasn't she a framing device for that game?

lol you got me there.

Swiftie_Luma said:
>Appeared literally one time in 2007

Suddenly becomes playable in 2008. (Characters suddenly become playable all the time in Mario)

Returned for a sequel in a game where she was really not needed (can apply to Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings)

Still appeared in MK7 even when handhelds cut characters that are not ''basic''

Too add to that, appeared even when Waluigi DID NOT. (same game that had Daisy retained and included a lazy pallet swap in Metal Mario)

Was the only MKWii newcomer to return in every subsequent MK game after Wii (Miis, unless you count the crappy arcade game no one played)

Playable in 3D World (as a non canon post game option)

Playable in EVERY spin off sequel in the recent years. (Waluigi and Daisy say hi)

Vocally liked by many (also more hated than a large bunch of more obscure characters)

Playable in Smash , which is a huge deal since we all know Smash includes the series All stars of each series. (yeah, such 'all stars' like Shulk, or Lucas, or Ice Climbers, or Jigglypuff.)

Has been included in recent merchandise , in which not even Daisy appears (Daisy appears in regular merchandise still, actually look at them for once)

Has an animated sticker alongside Mario , Luigi , Yoshi , Peach , Bowser and Toad aka the ''Big'' Mario characters (big deal, no one cares about stickers)

...do you even read half the shit you type? You can apply that to the main Mario cast.

Rosalina was clearly established as a series regular starting with MK7

Thats why she skipped so many Wii games after MKWii.

i figure she was initially a one time thing like Funky and company , but after the reception she got , they upgraded her later.

I also have a theory that this is also supported by Rosalinas voice change

She got a new , more lively voice starting with MK7 , i think because they wanted her to blend more because she was gonna be regular starting from then on.

Also, Rosalina was planned for Open but got replaced by Luma , its worth to mention she was actually considered.

...do you even read half the *bleep* you type? You can apply that to the main Mario cast.

A) We are not talking about ''any character'' , we are specifically adressing Rosalina

B) Many of my points are exclusive to Rosalina.

Can you say Daisy for example was playable in 3D World? Well , no because , SURPRISE , she was not!

Can you say any other MKWii newcomer returned in ALL the subsequent installments? Well , SURPRISE AGAIN , only Rosalina can have this because Funky , Baby Daisy and Dry Bowser skipped games.

See how bad you look when you dont even make sense?

As i said before , people who dislike Rosalina are just nitpicking.

Daisy wasn't even playable in Arcade GP DX for goodness sake. And Waluigi, not in Mario Kart 7. But yeah.... most characters that haven't debuted in Super Mario Kart has at least one missing appearance since their debut. Not Rosalina, Donkey Kong, Wario, or Metal Mario (!). If you don't count Mario Kart Arcade, then Daisy. But seriously, it's been three Arcade games, ya think Daisy would've been here by now?

Makes me wonder, Metal Mario is pret-ty popular too. Even got a controller for his own. A few times.

Baby Mario is playable before Daisy in that game and that makes me laugh

Until I realize that Baby Luigi got the shaft in favor of Baby Peach. Then I cry.

Then, there's Super Mario Maker, where we got a pile of vomit and a Mercedez-Benz SUV before Baby Mario.

7GrandDad said:
Also the Smash Bros example isn't a good one, since Dr. Mario got into Smash, and he definitely isn't 'popular'.

As LGM stated, Dr. Mario was light-resource. AKA last-minute roster padding.

So that feels like more the bad example. When you consider that Rosalina was surely in the list of newcomers. (There's usually a point in a Smash game development where a majority of the characters have already been decided even before development of the game begins for the exception of cases where a very, very, VERY requested Newcomer is suggested (Ex: Sonic in Brawl), they're clones of some kind, or they were saved and/or chosen post-completion of the main game for Smash 4's DLC)

Scan-Translation-3.png

This was part of Sakurai's proposal to Nintendo regarding Smash 4. This was as far back as 2012. Before any development of Smash 4 had been taken.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Then, there's Super Mario Maker, where we got a pile of vomit and a Mercedez-Benz SUV before Baby Mario.

Baby Mario isn't advertised as a top priority character anyway, hence why he doesn't appear in many Mario spin-offs.

Unlike Daisy.

who cares

I don't think it's as popular and I still don't like its addition. But that's my bias, I dislike it almost as much as I dislike Yoshi.

Moving on ...

I dont particualry have any worst character other than Wario , but thats my bias as i personally dont like him that much.

I dont like when characters like Birdo fall into obscurity for some reason though.

You know one character I can't stand, that one Toad from Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Yeah, you know the one...

440px-Toad2PMSS.png

I hate that guy.I don't think there is a single Mario character I truly dislike.

Swiftie_Luma said:
Moving on ...

I dont particualry have any worst character other than Wario , but thats my bias as i personally dont like him that much.

I dont like when characters like Birdo fall into obscurity for some reason though.

I thought you really disliked Daisy. I remember you complained about her during your ventures in Ultra Smash.

I know I find Wario better off in a torture chamber though! And that, of course you know my sister and my attitude toward that fat man.

But I don't think he's a bad character. Just an unappealing character that exists to be a losing opponent computer player. I always welcome him because I'm a sadist to Wario.

Yoshi, I truly dislike. If I had it my way, he'd be probably drastically redesigned. Feathers! And a more tolerable voice. And a female.

Auburn S said:
You know one character I can't stand, that one Toad from Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Yeah, you know the one...
I don't know, I think I hate that other Toad from Paper Mario: Sticker Star more. This is his picture.

86px-PMSS_-_Red_Toad_Hurt_Artwork.png

I dont hate Daisy whatsoever.

I said that because she beat me , and i got salty . I admit that :p

I automatically hate any character that beats me in any match in any game , but that lasts like 3 minutes.

I know how that feels. It's so frustrating to play against Ace computers. I think the damage from the salt lasts longer for me, though, and I have no doubts that Mario Tennis is the prime reason why I started to hate Yoshi to the core. I'm starting to supremely dislike Pricksy Princess thanks to this game too.

In other games, even Mario has found ways to piss the hell out of me, especially in Smash Bros., to the point where I set up a 7 v. 1 against him.

tl;dr: some salt is enough to make anyone hate anyone and I think a lot of characters in this thread stemmed from this salt.

Reminds me that Baby Luigi beat me in a Mario Kart race in 8 and I kicked his ass in Battle Mode shortly afterward

It felt awesome.

Back