Your Worst Mario Characters

Baby Luigi said:
Luigi is better off that way anyway :babyluigi:

I would much rather that Luigi be a grown man who can support himself and be the posterboy of the franchise than a toddler who got kidnapped on his debut.

Luigi 64DD said:
Yes, now we can never insult the babies or compliment Wario again.
You can compliment how good he looks without his head. :)

TheCapeLuigi said:
Baby Luigi said:
Luigi is better off that way anyway :babyluigi:

I would much rather that Luigi be a grown man who can support himself and be the posterboy of the franchise than a toddler who got kidnapped on his debut.

Luigi can hardly even support himself at times. Just look at Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga where losing Mario completely incapacitates him. Compared to something that occured to Baby Luigi that's completely out of his control. That's not something I'd compliment in a character.

Hell, even Baby Luigi contributes to Luigi's buttmonkiness in Partners in Time.

Baby Luigi said:
Luigi can hardly even support himself at times. Just look at Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga where losing Mario completely incapacitates him.

I'm starting to wonder if Baby Luigi just counts as a completely separate character from Luigi to you. Also, keep in mind, you can play all of Super Mario 3D World as just Luigi, and the Luigi's Mansion games clearly prove that Luigi doesn't need Mario to support himself.

In fact, wasn't the whole point of the Year of Luigi to show that Luigi didn't need Mario?

I probably said earlier in the topic but that fucking jester can kiss my ass.

Why do you hate Dimmy so much, Mcmadness?

TheCapeLuigi said:
I'm starting to wonder if Baby Luigi just counts as a completely separate character from Luigi to you. Also, keep in mind, you can play all of Super Mario 3D World as just Luigi, and the Luigi's Mansion games clearly prove that Luigi doesn't need Mario to support himself.

In fact, wasn't the whole point of the Year of Luigi to show that Luigi didn't need Mario?

It counts depending on what's convenient for her and makes Baby Luigi look good at the expense of Luigi. Usually, it's "completely separate character", like a Luigi from a different reality.

Luigi probably does need Mario. He can live on his own, but I just see that he works BETTER when he's with Mario or when Mario's involved. Of course, maybe I'm flavoring this twin relationship with my own personal experience of being an identical twin myself, but it's nice like that. This also applies to Mario: he can work without Luigi but his life is better if he's with Luigi.

It's a conflicting mixed feeling. While I somewhat view Baby Luigi as the same as Luigi, I mostly view him as a separate character than Luigi. If I see him anywhere, I think "Oh that's Baby Luigi and man does he look good". It's a bit hard to describe.

The problem with Luigi is that Nintendo doesn't know how to exactly portray him. He's got an inconsistent personality. Some games, he's as brave as Mario, like in the platformers. Other games, he's cocky and narcissistic, like in the Paper Mario games or Fortune Street or even Mario Strikers. Other games, he's the opposite, thinks he's worse than Mario and wants to be on the same level as him, as in Mario & Luigi games. Super Smash Bros. Brawl portrayed him as angsty and depressed.

I personally like Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon's portrayal of Luigi the best. He's still awkward and scared, but he has a reason to overcome his fear, and the moments in the game are very charming and cute.

Because he's yet another example of a psychotic clown character where the big twist is that the goofiest looking of the bunch is actually the most serious and psychotic.

It's irony! It's clever!

No, it's fucking lame. That shit was old even was Kefka was doing it.

Oh look, he killed all the main characters and sent them to hell! Nobody has ever done that before! Best Mario villain!!! 11/10!!!

He's smart AND says quirky things! He's so great and amazing!!!

Just everything about the fucker feels like I'm reading a damn fanfic.

Do you have a favorite "oh my god the weirdest funny character is the worst of the bunch" type character?

Baby Luigi said:
Do you have a favorite "oh my god the weirdest funny character is the worst of the bunch" type character?

Porky Minch.

TheCapeLuigi said:
That's because it basically is a fanfic; Intelligent Systems made the game, not Nintendo.

I know, but then I look at stuff from Paper Mario's counterpart Mario & Luigi and how they manage to make additions to Mario that doesn't feel like a fanfic and it just annoys me all the more.

Labeling it as a "fanfic" isn't flattering in the slightest. There should be more professionalism to a Mario-based story than whatever Super Paper Mario done. I mean, these guys are paid to write stuff, and it's embarrassing to be compared to the general public's writing ability.

Not saying all fanfics are bad. Hell that term is probably a stereotype of what fanfics are. But it does have some basis in reality.

Mcmadness said:
Because he's yet another example of a psychotic clown character where the big twist is that the goofiest looking of the bunch is actually the most serious and psychotic.

It's irony! It's clever!

No, it's fucking lame. That shit was old even was Kefka was doing it.

Oh look, he killed all the main characters and sent them to hell! Nobody has ever done that before! Best Mario villain!!! 11/10!!!

He's smart AND says quirky things! He's so great and amazing!!!

Just everything about the fucker feels like I'm reading a damn fanfic.

not even a fanfic really just a replica of something else.

He's so standard and doesnt really stand out from other villains.

Zae Eildus said:
He's so standard and doesnt really stand out from other villains.

He sticks out like a sore thumb. That was actually my problem with Dimentio; you could tell he was obviously the main villain because he seemed so different from the rest, pretty much making the "reveal" pointless.

Baby Luigi said:
Labeling it as a "fanfic" isn't flattering in the slightest. There should be more professionalism to a Mario-based story than whatever Super Paper Mario done.

I said it was a fanfic. I never said it was a bad fanfic.

Heck, Mario & Luigi and SMRPG both count as fanfics because they're not created by Nintendo, either. You assumed I was misusing the term "fanfic".

Mcmadness said:
TheCapeLuigi said:
That's because it basically is a fanfic; Intelligent Systems made the game, not Nintendo.
I know, but then I look at stuff from Paper Mario's counterpart Mario & Luigi and how they manage to make additions to Mario that doesn't feel like a fanfic and it just annoys me all the more.

"Feel like a fanfic"? How does something feel like a fanfic? A fanfic describes something that wasn't made by the original developers, and by fans. Whether or not Intelligent Systems were fans of the franchise or not is up for debate, but if they weren't, that kind of explains Baby Luigi's "it's embarrassing to be compared to the general public's writing ability." question; The general public has an actual passion for Mario, while as she said, the writers were paid.

People like to do things for money and they don't care about the details.

He sticks out like a sore thumb. That was actually my problem with Dimentio; you could tell he was obviously the main villain because he seemed so different from the rest, pretty much making the "reveal" pointless

well really im just refering to how he compares to other rpg villains, he just feels like he came out of a villain maker factory and doesnt really have much of an idenity of his own.

and what i mean by this is he is like sterotypical psycho with magic powers front and hes really boring because of it too.

I mean honestly he is probably the dullest character in the game.

Sigh, a semantics game is going on, isn't it?

LeftyGreenMario said:
Sigh, a semantics game is going on, isn't it?

of course it is, its a argue point when someone cant really make a firm point in a conversation.

The term fanfic has a negative connotation for a reason. Because there are far more numerous hobbyist writers than professional ones, and because the sites you see fanfics on generally lack a very controlled quality control, you're bound to come across a bad egg very, very easily, hence why the term has gained a notorious reputation. When people say it "feels" like a fanfic, they're describing unprofessional quality by writers sorely writing what they purely want rather than what makes sense, what makes characters likeable, what makes an engaging story and what not.

TheCapeLuigi said:
"Feel like a fanfic"? How does something feel like a fanfic? A fanfic describes something that wasn't made by the original developers, and by fans. Whether or not Intelligent Systems were fans of the franchise or not is up for debate, but if they weren't, that kind of explains Baby Luigi's "it's embarrassing to be compared to the general public's writing ability." question; The general public has an actual passion for Mario, while as she said, the writers were paid.

People like to do things for money and they don't care about the details.

Easy, it fit's all the tropes I'd expect of a stereotypical fanfic. All the OCs feel like insert characters with some token Mario characters and said Mario characters who are usually main characters are relegated to a secondary status for the shitty romance story.

CapeLuigi, er, your definition of a fanfic, isn't one I've seen, but it's, uh... interesting to say the least. I don't think that's quite right, though.

LeftyGreenMario said:
CapeLuigi, er, your definition of a fanfic, isn't one I've seen, but it's, uh... interesting to say the least. I don't think that's quite right, though.
It assumes every other person besides the creator of the original idea is a fan of said idea. His definition would also mean that every Star Wars film aside from the prequels and A New Hope are fanfics, as those are the only ones George Lucas directed.

LeftyGreenMario said:

I probably should've specified it as "story created by fans" instead of saying it in such a general way. Either you're talking about that or you think that the definition of fanfic is an "extremely bad, cringeworthy story". At least, that's usually everyone's definition of it.

I've been working on a fanfic, and if that's so, I think I have some motivation to not post it here, even though one of the reasons I came back to this forum was because I planned on posting it.

But that's unrelated. Regardless, I'm a bit tired, so I apologize if I make any accidents with the wording of my posts.

Magikrazy said:
It assumes every other person besides the creator of the original idea is a fan of said idea. His definition would also mean that every Star Wars film aside from the prequels and A New Hope are fanfics, as those are the only ones George Lucas directed.

Fanfic clearly isn't the right term for the likes of Super Paper Mario, even though it seems that Mcmadness seems to think it as so.

I tend to just agree with people so that I'm not alienated, which is why I said SPM was basically a fanfic. To agree with Mcmadness, which eventually deteriorated into a disagreement, I think.

It seems like the right term to me. A shitty fanfic with shitty characters that takes the source material far more seriously than it was ever meant to be.

I really hate Baby Rosalina because of her contradictory appearance.

I'm honestly more annoyed that they had the balls to pull another baby character straight out of their ass to pad out roster space.

Back