• Cloud Strife

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Corrin

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Bayonetta

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
memoryman3 said:
The Double Item mechanic in Mario Kart 8 will require item balance tweaking, and new tracks take a ton of effort to make, as they need new assets and AI programmed for each track. Modelling characters to fit in every kart is easier than Smash, but not as easy as you guys make out to be. Plus, the DLC team was much smaller than the original Smash 4 team, and they still got out 7 characters in the span of a year. With a larger team and two years, I can easily see 10 or more new characters. You have to think about the value it has for the end consumer, not ''ohh balancing is so hard get over it!'
1. Item balancing tweaking? No, this isn't even a big change.
2. New tracks? Yes. They're the most time-consuming part of Mario Kart DLC.
3. No, it's not easy. Mario169 is incorrect here by claiming that they "are all pretty much the same". Not quite, if you're dealing with models, textures, animations, and plenty of voice effects. BUT, it still takes considerably less time since you don't have to worry about hitboxes, hurtboxes, physics, knockback angles, frame data, and that stuff. Plus, Smash may have more animation to deal with. Oh, and Kirby needs yet another new model and animation.
4. Just because Mario Kart 8 got out 7 characters doesn't mean Smash will be able to get out 10 new characters in a year.

I'm sure we all think about the "value" but we live in reality not Smashtansy Land.

mods make smashtansy land happen

uh, requires a bit of effort on your end but totally doable

i mean i've seen some pretty damn insane-looking final smashes in there.

Kamina said:
yeah, smash bros isn't mario kart at all

while characters for mario kart, besides having different models, are all pretty much the same, making smash characters is very much harder. not only do you have to make different models, but they also need different physics, hitboxes, movesets, etc. so I think you're underestimating how time-consuming it is to make eleven fighters

would like to tell you that tracks is the mario kart equivalent of new characters. smash bros. stages can't even compare to those big hulking mario kart tracks.

Baby Luigi said:
Kamina said:
yeah, smash bros isn't mario kart at all

while characters for mario kart, besides having different models, are all pretty much the same, making smash characters is very much harder. not only do you have to make different models, but they also need different physics, hitboxes, movesets, etc. so I think you're underestimating how time-consuming it is to make eleven fighters

would like to tell you that tracks is the mario kart equivalent of new characters. smash bros. stages can't even compare to those big hulking mario kart tracks.
ah, I see. but still, like blof said it takes more time and effort to make smash characters than mario kart ones

Fine, Memoryman. Go ahead and expect a grand total of 11 new characters.

I just won't be surprised you find yourself heading for a major letdown if we barely get anything.

I'm keeping my expectations at a healthy rate. For me it's just a port where they may not even add any new characters because they just want to port another of the Wii U's most popular games onto the Switch so it sells better. And even if they do add any characters, 3 is the absolute maximum possible to me

But hey if you're somehow right, that's one thing that I'll be glad to be wrong about. Cause I'd love that many additional characters. I just don't see it happening.

LeftyGreenMario said:
memoryman3 said:
The Double Item mechanic in Mario Kart 8 will require item balance tweaking, and new tracks take a ton of effort to make, as they need new assets and AI programmed for each track. Modelling characters to fit in every kart is easier than Smash, but not as easy as you guys make out to be. Plus, the DLC team was much smaller than the original Smash 4 team, and they still got out 7 characters in the span of a year. With a larger team and two years, I can easily see 10 or more new characters. You have to think about the value it has for the end consumer, not ''ohh balancing is so hard get over it!'
1. Item balancing tweaking? No, this isn't even a big change.
2. New tracks? Yes. They're the most time-consuming part of Mario Kart DLC.
3. No, it's not easy. Mario169 is incorrect here by claiming that they "are all pretty much the same". Not quite, if you're dealing with models, textures, animations, and plenty of voice effects. BUT, it still takes considerably less time since you don't have to worry about hitboxes, hurtboxes, physics, knockback angles, frame data, and that stuff. Plus, Smash may have more animation to deal with. Oh, and Kirby needs yet another new model and animation.
4. Just because Mario Kart 8 got out 7 characters doesn't mean Smash will be able to get out 10 new characters in a year.

I'm sure we all think about the "value" but we live in reality not Smashtansy Land.

Honestly, I don't really care about the amount of characters we get. The two characters could be Daisy and Wolf or Daisy and ??? and it would be the best thing ever.

Magikrazy said:
I would totally main ???

It's already in the game, just press the Random button!

Seriously, I am going to vote with my wallet this time around. No more falling for Smash's DLC trap.

:daisy:

I didn't think it was a trap. Daisy just doesn't seem right for Smash, besides the Mario series has way too many characters. Even if we knocked one out the roster it is still too many. EDIT: Same can be said with Fire Emblem

I can see probably 4 characters coming if this is a Smash 4 port. I hope Dixie (or K. Rool), Ice Climbers, Wolf, and some other new character.

I think the only Mario character that feels missing is Toad of some sort in this roster. And if we're getting Yoshi's Island representatives, perhaps Baby Mario and Baby Luigi, who I feel are much more major characters than Kamek, which the latter is the only Mario character / species who isn't playable in Mario spinoffs barring Mario Baseball. No, don't use that as a reason FOR Daisy given that both Kamek and the Baby Bros. at least appeared in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and had big roles in Yoshi's Island games. And Kamek is shown as a boss mainstream Mario platformers, though I feel he's usually indistinguishable from a normal Magikoopa since you don't see Magikoopas as enemies.

As much as Waluigi and Daisy would be welcome additions for me, I don't think they'll be great for everyone.

Galaxy 1: This possible Kamek appears in the opening cutscene where it blasts Mario away, but for the rest of the game, you fight Magikoopas and you fight Kamella as a boss. I'm willing to say, if that's Kamek, that's not a big role at all, and it supports my thought that Kamek is virtually indistinguishable from generic Magikoopas in THAT game. Japan thinks similarly to me here.

Galaxy 2: I don't think he even appeared, or if it was him, he's identical to Magikoopas.

So unlike Toad and Yoshi, this guy's identity is even more muddled and stands out less.

Again, I like any Mario additions, but Kamek, I feel, is a pretty weak one.

It's not easy figuring out which Magikoopa is Kamek, when so many Magikoopas wear the same kind of outfit.

Even in some Mario spin-offs where Magikoopa is playable, the game simply calls him "Magikoopa", though the PAL version of Mario Party 9 does call the Magikoopa "Kamek".

YoshiGo99 said:
I didn't think it was a trap. Daisy just doesn't seem right for Smash, besides the Mario series has way too many characters. Even if we knocked one out the roster it is still too many. EDIT: Same can be said with Fire Emblem

I can see probably 4 characters coming if this is a Smash 4 port. I hope Dixie (or K. Rool), Ice Climbers, Wolf, and some other new character.

It's really ironic how you say we have too many Mario characters, yet you want Mario characters (DK being a Mario subseries) who are barely even recognised by Nintendo.

Ninelevendo said:
So is that purple in the background Ridley?

The largest playable character I've seen in another fighting game would be according to my calculations around 16.4 feet tall and 60 feet in length. Is Ridley within that size canonically?

Alright so if Super Smash Bros. will be a port for the Switch and with Nintendo not doing Miiverse for the Switch, would this mean the Miiverse stage is dropped out of the game?

They can just return the Miiverse stage without the functionality, or perhaps make generic premade messages.

I mean, that stage doesn't require online to function, right?

No Miiverse for Nintendo Switch pretty much destroys the idea of a Super Mario Maker sequel as well, unless courses can be made to be uploaded online without it.

They'll just find other means. I don't think Miiverse is mandatory for dedicated servers to store user content.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe being a thing makes me optimistic that we'll get an enhanced switch port of Sm4sh and imma shitpost my wants for it because reasons

New characters:
Inkling
Ice Climbers
Rhythm Heaven rep

So assuming that the base game is kept in tact and as such characters that are stage gimmicks and assist trophies won't transition to playable then these are my top picks (rip ashley)

With the announcement of Splatoon 2 and Inklings being playable in MK8D I really do think that they'd be a shoo-in for the next Smash game and they'd be my no. 1 choice. No longer held back by the 3DS I also believe that Ice Climbers will make a return because Sakurai expressed disappointment at removing them earlier. And the last one is super unbelievable and unjustifiable but dammit I want it to be real : (

This is all under the assumption that Bandai Namco does get Sakurai back to develop characters because I'd find it unlikely they'd add new ones without his seal of approval lmao

New things:
More alt-costumes for each character
A new "party mode" of some description
A story mode
a refinied streaming/uploading community
All mii costumes and dlc included in the base game

None of these have any proper justification aside from the last but with MK8D revamping an entire mode for added content then anything is game.

The addition of exclusive alt costumes would be the easiest to achieve without having Sakurai back on board and would really be great for characters like Link and Zelda who will receive new appearances in BoTW and promo purposes. With Miis being confirmed to return on the switch I would also expect them to add more Mii costumes because lol

The Wii U version had smash tour while the 3DS version had smash run so either the switch remake will have a new gimmick mode or just include both in one is hard to call. Personally I wouldnt mind both in one and proper splitscreen for smash run would be kinda fun. Better than the shit that is smash tour for sure.

The addition of a story mode would be a /huge/ stretch but fuck it while the subspace emissary had its flaws, it at least gave brawl a meaty single player while I seriously havent touched Sm4sh in months because there's nothing interesting to do in single player anymore. With such an amazing roster of 3rd parties as well i can imagine a ridiculously campy plot but man it would be great even without cutscenes.

This one is just to capitalise off the promises of the switches new network features and specifically the ps4 share button expy. I hope they improve the ability to search for stages, miis, replays and screenshots and also to find matchups

Lastly, including every single dlc mii costume, stage and character in the base game is a given I would think but i dont expect them to keep supporting the game with more characters and stuff after launch. Balance patches, maybe.

Finally if they dropped the miiverse stage then nothing of value would be lost but If they kept it but without the community function then I can imagine them creating a random assortment of messages for each character to simulate the experience without the "wario smells good" or "my wife left me"

Dr. John H. Watson said:
memoryman3 said:
I have literally no hopes for this port..... 2 new characters, one of them Inkling....sigh.

:daisy:

Peach-DaisyRecolor-SSBBrawl+smash+bros+wii.png

i dont see it daisy has been here all along

Next, you are going to tell me that Wolf has never been cut all along.

Back